1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Manufacturer's Touch 1.2.16

Weapons manufacturers now have an effect on randomly generated weapons.

1. Kitikira

Kitikira Phantasmal Quasar

Kitikira submitted a new mod:

Manufacturer's Touch - Weapons manufacturers now have an effect on randomly generated weapons.

Read more about this mod...

2. bluestorm2112

bluestorm2112 Tentacle Wrangler

Great idea to bring to Starbound. It actually adds some personality and lore to the weapons and makes them feel less generic. Will this be receiving Steam Workshop support?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Now we just need a Tediore-like type of gun, lol.

Like, I don't know, a thrown "grenade" special on the 2-handers or something lol.

But really this mod is awesome. I don't know why CF didn't do this with the brand names already.

4. FIowey

FIowey Subatomic Cosmonaut

Can i suggest something? Give melee a bit of that awesome love too please, i would love to see special weapons on melee too...

I unistalled Weapon Combine mod because with this one i expect more variety on the guns i find, but.... idk, a company that makes slow spears that have a huge AoE explosion where the blade hits would be amazing ^^

Anyways is a great idea, and a great mod too.

5. Kitikira

Thanks for all the replies! I've now added a section that shows what I have in mind for version 1.0. I hope I can have it out by the end of the weekend, but no promises. Melee weapons are proving to be more difficult than I thought they would be, but that's mostly because they're more tedious.

I got "hybrid" weapons working for a personal mod, which were melee weapons that could fire like ranged weapons with their alt ability. I'll try to see if I can get those working, but an important part of them (manufacturers being able to replace weapon scripts) resulted in a bunch of obscure errors when I tried to implement it.

As a side note: how does everyone feel about the weapon tool tips? I was considering replacing "Damage Per Second:" and "Energy Per Second:" with "DPS:" and "EPS:". Seeing the four different "WORDS PER WORD" one after another is starting to bother me, but I'm not sure if everyone feels that way.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    AlbertoRota likes this.
  6. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

very cool idea :D
    will be keeping my eye on this [​IMG]

(dual wielded, maliwan-style smgs plx ;))

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  7. Volteam

Volteam Void-Bound Voyager

Nice mod, I always feel the randomly generated weapons seem to be similar to each other. Just some questions, is it okay to installed this mid-game? What will happen to existing weapons?

8. origamania

origamania Subatomic Cosmonaut

Would it be possible to have a compatibility patch for or "include" the weapon stats mod?
    I mean it's one of the most popular quality of life mods.

9. Kitikira

I think that if you install it mid-game, all of your existing weapons will be assigned a manufacturer, and then they will have their stats modified to fit it. The only thing that doesn't have a chance of changing is the names, which may look out of place (ex: a "Rotik Impactwrecker" with Shade Co. as the manufacturer).

All future weapons that spawn after you've installed the mod will have the correct names. If you uninstall the mod, the weapons should go back to how they were before the mod was installed. The only thing that won't change is the names, so the manufacturer's name prefix for newly spawned weapons will stick around after the mod is gone.

Right now this mod extends the tool tips to include Manufacturer, Damage Per Second, Energy Per Second, and Damage Per Energy. I think the only thing that this one is missing is the weapon level, which I was on the fence about including in this version. The next update will include it too.

AlbertoRota likes this.
  10. origamania

I think you should set the DpE in the corner, because right now I have another mod that adds info on tooltips and they overlap.

11. Dekeon

Dekeon Phantasmal Quasar

Is there any chance of making our own custom weapons down the line? Like how you have that one weapon "brand" that uses explosive ammo that is called a custom weapon. Could we take a weapon and mod it to our style, overwriting its base brand and becoming custom?

As a matter of fact, and this is probably a stretch since I don't know really just how much can be done with mods... Could a sort of augment system be implemented on guns? Maybe 3 augments(stock, body, barrel)? Like I said I don't even know if this is feasible, but one can dream.

12. Kitikira

Here's a patch that undoes any tool tips changes this mod makes. Unfortunately this mod is still incompatible with anything that replaces the buildweapon script, and I don't know if the one you're using does that or not, but if everything appears fine for you accept for overlapping notes on the tool tip, then this should help.

All this would definitely be possible with mods. Starbound is ridiculously flexible when modding active items, but you have to be prepared to wade through lots of code and suffer lots of errors before you get anything very complicated working. I'd like to do a system like this in the future, but it'd be a lot of work, and I'd only start working on it after I got a really solid foundation for this mod. Maybe for a 1.1 or 1.2 patch or something.

As of right now the "Custom" brand's stats are just placeholders. It just represents any weapon that some other person has modified and changed enough that it doesn't resemble its original maker anymore.

AlbertoRota likes this.
  13. Volteam

Volteam Void-Bound Voyager

Is there any way to extend the weapon stat window? I'm using the weapon reinforce mod and while both mod can work together, the enhancement stat and the special stat are jumbled together.

14. AlbertoRota

AlbertoRota Scruffy Nerf-Herder

First of all: GREAT JOB! :nuruwink:
    It's an extremely interesting idea to bring some sense to random weapons, it make each of them really special and reasonable.

Second:
    Since you said that "Anyone can edit this mod or use it in a modpack", I've taken a look to the code and with very few lines I've managed to do this:
    ColoredLevels.png

Yes! Colored names based on weapon level! No more numbers to obfuscate!:nurutease:
    You have made a GREAT decision using words instead of numbers for the weapon level, please, follow that route, it's a much more beautiful solution than plain numbers!

I'm quite interested in helping with this mod, but since you don't have any public repository, i don't know how to send the code back to you :nurusad:
    Have you considered using GitHub for this mod? It will make it really easy.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  15. origamania

Would it be possible to add a compatibility patch to the astronomical armory mod found on the workshop?

16. garbageman

garbageman Intergalactic Tourist

if i uninstall this after using it, what will happen to my weapons?

17. Kitikira

Sorry I haven't replied in a while, I've been rather busy and haven't worked on this mod as much as I hoped I would. Melee weapons have proved more painful to implement than I thought, but right now I only need to fix Hammer and Spear's alt abilities.

Your weapon's stats and appearances will change to match what they originally would have been if you didn't have the mod. Only the name will stay the same. I believe this is because weapons get rebuilt every time they are loaded, and so when the game is loaded without the mod they will be rebuilt using the default stats. The only part of a weapon that doesn't change, as far as I can tell, is the name, so already spawned weapons will still have modded name.

Thanks! That's really cool. I've been messing around with colors too, so far I've just been changing the color based on item rarity, but that's a pretty neat way to show level. I originally left item level out of the ui because I found myself being distracted by it feeling like it was too "game-y", if that makes sense.

I've thought about using GitHub, but I've always been worried it would be too much of a jump for me. Some of my code has changed a lot since this last release, and so it would be good to have an up to date version somewhere. I think I'll try it out then, and see if I like it.

Edit: Current GitHub repository here. The 0.9 branch is the same as the current release, and 1.0 is my relatively unstable one that includes melee weapons.

Extending the stat window involves lengthening the body image of the specific tool tip, then adjusting the location of stats that have been moved. Since Starbound UIs start in the bottom left (for some reason), this would mostly be the item name, handness, and image.

This might be a lot of work, depending on how many changes you want to make to it. I have my hands full at the moment, but if you want to try go ahead! Otherwise, hopefully my "minimal" UI patch can help prevent it from becoming too much of a mess.

I'm fairly certain it would be possible, it would just take some time and I would need to make sure I had permission from that modder. Unfortunately I have my hands full with other stuff, so it'll likely be something I'd do after I get 1.0 out, though I'll try to check out that mod tomorrow and see how much work it'd be.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  18. AlbertoRota

AlbertoRota Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'ts quite simple and there are plenty of free courses about it, you will not regret.:nurutease:

Once you set up a collaboration space, i will try to help more, keep up the GOOD work!

Edit:
    Pull request created, enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  19. Superepicgecko

Superepicgecko Space Penguin Leader

Hey, would you mind if I port this to Steam Workshop, and add manufacturers from my mod?

20. Kitikira

I was planning on putting this up on the Steam Workshop once I finished melee weapons, so I would prefer if you waited until then, sorry, but any time after that would be great. Thanks for your interest!