1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Cannot recruit new crew members

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by SimCord, Aug 30, 2016.

1. SimCord

SimCord Intergalactic Tourist

After doing some quests and getting a bunch of crew members available to recruit, but after recruiting a mechanic, that's when everything went wrong.

When I tried talking to the other recruits, they would holler at me asking me if they could join me, but no matter how many times i mashed the interact button, they would not say or do anything. For a while, even my current crew members would not interact with me and whenever I beam onto the ship they would all shout at me if they could offer assistance. However, after I dismissed a few crew members and restarted the game, I was able to interact with my current crew and was also able to recruit new crew members, but after replacing the ones I dismissed, it all happened again, even my crew is back to announcing my presence whenever I beam on the ship.

I know for a fact this is not because I am at a maximum limit because I have an Eagle Class star ship, and only 6 out of 10 crew members. When I tried dismissing another crew member to try to fix the issue, it wouldn't fix itself like last time. Its almost as if the game decided to lower my crew limit to below what it actually should be.

Operating System is Windows 7 Service pack 1.

I am using mods. Namely Frackin Universe, Frackin Music, and Weapon Reinforcement. But they haven't caused any notable problems until I tried recruiting an 8th crew member.

Game was in windowed mode

Any ideas on how to fix this? cause it is really messing with me how I can't get a legal upgrade for my ship just because I can't recruit more crew due to a bug.

2. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Pangalactic Porcupine

Try recruiting a crew member then post your starbound.log.
    it can be found at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage

it might contain an error that can help locate whats causing it.

Also nothing wrong with it...but did you spawn yourself the "ship tier thing" item to give yourself a high tier ship with /admin commands
    or did you collect the crew members until you could upgrade?

I don't know off the top of my head but giving yourself a high tier ship might break the quest to manually upgrade your ship and/or allow more crew memebers...

3. SimCord

Nope, I've always upgraded my ship legitimately, even if I used an admin command to generate the pixels I needed for one upgrade. As for upgrades, I have always purchased a Fake license up until I realized you can get it legally with enough crew members. (which I was attempting to do not too long ago)

As for the log, I did a quick skim and found something that might be relevant, I'll comb it over again later to see if I find anything else:
    [Error] Exception while invoking lua message handler for message 'recruits.offerRecruit'. (LuaException) Error code 2 [string "/scripts/companions/recruitspawner.lua"]:57: (LuaConversionException) Error converting LuaValue to type 'class Star:

I've also had a new development, whenever I have two or more crew members with me, I am able to interact with recruits, but I am never prompted to recruit them, instead my Ship AI notifies me that I have too many Crew members with me and that I need to return them to my ship too expand my crew further. (I tried that but I was simply back to step 1 with my issue)

EDIT: Forgot to upload the logs themselves, placed the rest in a Zip folder since they wouldn't appear in the upload screen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I have the same issue.

I recruited a Mechanic, and then attempted to recruit an Engineer. I have a T3 ship, and that Mechanic is my only crew member.

When I talk to the person, they just say "I'd like to join your crew" (a text bubble), but I do not get the dialog box to actually recruit them. Starbound.log has a LUA error:

Code:
    [14:06:04.339] [Error] Exception while invoking lua message handler for message 'recruits.offerRecruit'. (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/scripts/companions/recruitspawner.lua"]:57: (LuaConversionException) Error converting LuaValue to type 'class Star::MapMixin<class std::unordered_map<class Star::String,class Star::String,struct Star::hash<class Star::String,void>,struct std::equal_to<class Star::String>,class std::allocator<struct std::pair<class Star::String const ,class Star::String> > > >'
    [0] 13f411ee3 Star::captureStack
    [1] 13f410c6e Star::StarException::StarException
    [2] 13f3dd7eb Star::LuaConversionException::LuaConversionException
    [3] 13f3d9576 Star::LuaConversionException::format<char const * __ptr64>
    [4] 13fa6a3db Star::luaTo<Star::MapMixin<std::unordered_map<Star::String,Star::String,Star::hash<Star::String,void>,std::equal_to<Star::String>,std::allocator<std::pair<Star::String const ,Star::String> > > > >
    [5] 13fa70704 Star::LuaDetail::ArgGet<Star::MapMixin<std::unordered_map<Star::String,Star::String,Star::hash<Star::String,void>,std::equal_to<Star::String>,std::allocator<std::pair<Star::String const ,Star::String> > > > >::get
    [6] 13fa6e2f4 <lambda_9c478cd44a7485910c6caa98664d4a38>::operator()
    [7] 13fa683ef std::_Invoker_functor::_Call<<lambda_9c478cd44a7485910c6caa98664d4a38> & __ptr64,Star::LuaEngine & __ptr64,unsigned __int64,Star::Variant<Star::Empty,bool,__int64,double,Star::String,Star::LuaTable,Star::LuaFunction,Star::LuaThread,Star::LuaUserData> * __ptr64>
    [8] 13fa69e30 std::invoke<<lambda_9c478cd44a7485910c6caa98664d4a38> & __ptr64,Star::LuaEngine & __ptr64,unsigned __int64,Star::Variant<Star::Empty,bool,__int64,double,Star::String,Star::LuaTable,Star::LuaFunction,Star::LuaThread,Star::LuaUserData> * __ptr64>
    [9] 13fa68e49 std::_Invoke_ret<Star::Variant<Star::Variant<Star::Empty,bool,__int64,double,Star::String,Star::LuaTable,Star::LuaFunction,Star::LuaThread,Star::LuaUserData>,Star::LuaVariadic<Star::Variant<Star::Empty,bool,__int64,double,Star::String,Star::LuaTable,Star::LuaFunction,Star::LuaThread,Star::LuaUserData> > >,<lambda_9c478cd44a7485910c6caa98664d4a38> & __ptr64,Star::LuaEngine & __ptr64,unsigned __int64,Star::Variant<Star::Empty,bool,__int64,double,Star::String,Star::LuaTable,Star::LuaFunction,Star::LuaThread,Star::LuaUserData> * __ptr64>
    [10] 13fa6f87b std::_Func_impl<<lambda_9c478cd44a7485910c6caa98664d4a38>,std::allocator<int>,Star::Variant<Star::Variant<Star::Empty,bool,__int64,double,Star::String,Star::LuaTable,Star::LuaFunction,Star::LuaThread,Star::LuaUserData>,Star::LuaVariadic<Star::Variant<Star::Empty,bool,__int64,double,Star::String,Star::LuaTable,Star::LuaFunction,Star::LuaThread,Star::LuaUserData> > >,Star::LuaEngine & __ptr64,unsigned __int64,Star::Variant<Star::Empty,bool,__int64,double,Star::String,Star::LuaTable,Star::LuaFunction,Star::LuaThread,Star::LuaUserData> * __ptr64>::_Do_call
    [11] 13f3e04bd std::_Func_class<Star::Variant<Star::Variant<Star::Empty,bool,__int64,double,Star::String,Star::LuaTable,Star::LuaFunction,Star::LuaThread,Star::LuaUserData>,Star::LuaVariadic<Star::Variant<Star::Empty,bool,__int64,double,Star::String,Star::LuaTable,Star::LuaFunction,Star::LuaThread,Star::LuaUserData> > >,Star::LuaEngine & __ptr64,unsigned __int64,Star::Variant<Star::Empty,bool,__int64,double,Star::String,Star::LuaTable,Star::LuaFunction,Star::LuaThread,Star::LuaUserData> * __ptr64>::operator()
    [12] 13f3df554 <lambda_a03bcae4599b53751a446949639a4d5e>::operator()
    [13] 13f36a798 luaD_precall
    [14] 13f383541 luaV_execute
    [15] 13f36a2a3 luaD_call
    [16] 13f36aa7b luaD_rawrunprotected
    [17] 13f36a4b0 luaD_pcall
    [18] 13f3609d4 lua_pcallk
    [19] 13f3e7530 Star::LuaEngine::pcallWithTraceback
    [20] 13f59a34c Star::LuaEngine::callFunction<Star::String,bool,Star::LuaVariadic<Star::Json> >
    [21] 13f59d539 Star::LuaFunction::invoke<Star::Json,Star::String,bool,Star::LuaVariadic<Star::Json> >
    [22] 13f666e88 Star::LuaMessageHandlingComponent<Star::LuaStorableComponent<Star::LuaUpdatableComponent<Star::LuaWorldComponent<Star::LuaBaseComponent> > > >::handleMessage
    [23] 13f6ea574 Star::PlayerCompanions::receiveMessage
    [24] 13f6d03df Star::Player::receiveMessage
    [25] 13fb8a8f7 Star::MainInterface::handleInteractAction
    [26] 13f35da48 Star::ClientApplication::updateRunning
    [27] 13f35c18f Star::ClientApplication::update
    [28] 13fa914e1 Star::SdlPlatform::run
    [29] 13fa9169d Star::runMainApplication
    [30] 13f35eff6 WinMain
    [31] 13fc71313 __scrt_common_main_seh
    [32] 774559bd BaseThreadInitThunk
    [33] 7768a2e1 RtlUserThreadStart
    stack traceback:
       [C]: in ?
       [C]: in field 'replaceTags'
       [string "/scripts/companions/recruitspawner.lua"]:57: in method 'buildDescription'
       [string "/scripts/companions/recruitspawner.lua"]:23: in method 'init'
       [string "/scripts/companions/recruitspawner.lua"]:9: in field 'new'
       [string "/scripts/companions/player.lua"]:368: in function <[string "/scripts/companions/player.lua"]:361>
       (...tail calls...)
    [0] 13f411ee3 Star::captureStack
    [1] 13f410c6e Star::StarException::StarException
    [2] 13f3e60a1 Star::LuaEngine::handleError
    [3] 13f59a365 Star::LuaEngine::callFunction<Star::String,bool,Star::LuaVariadic<Star::Json> >
    [4] 13f59d539 Star::LuaFunction::invoke<Star::Json,Star::String,bool,Star::LuaVariadic<Star::Json> >
    [5] 13f666e88 Star::LuaMessageHandlingComponent<Star::LuaStorableComponent<Star::LuaUpdatableComponent<Star::LuaWorldComponent<Star::LuaBaseComponent> > > >::handleMessage
    [6] 13f6ea574 Star::PlayerCompanions::receiveMessage
    [7] 13f6d03df Star::Player::receiveMessage
    [8] 13fb8a8f7 Star::MainInterface::handleInteractAction
    [9] 13f35da48 Star::ClientApplication::updateRunning
    [10] 13f35c18f Star::ClientApplication::update
    [11] 13fa914e1 Star::SdlPlatform::run
    [12] 13fa9169d Star::runMainApplication
    [13] 13f35eff6 WinMain
    [14] 13fc71313 __scrt_common_main_seh
    [15] 774559bd BaseThreadInitThunk
    [16] 7768a2e1 RtlUserThreadStart

None of my mods modify any LUA script whatsoever having to do with crewmembers or npcs.

(I have FU, Frackin Music, Felins, and Avali)

FU modifies the engineer with a .patch, but the only thing that was changed was how much and how often they modified the fuel efficiency (it was nerfed).

I've tried beaming up to the ship to get my crew member (the mechanic) to beam up with me, then beamed back down, talked to them again. I did Save&Exit, went back in, nope. Then I Save&Exit, and Quit SB altogether, booted it back up, still won't work.

5. SimCord

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The problem is, though, is I looked through the files in FU... there are zero changes to any LUA connected with behaviors, and the 1-and-only file that changed was crewmembergreg.npctype within the last couple weeks, and I know I was recruiting NPCs last week just fine.

Look at it yourself:

https://github.com/sayterdarkwynd/FrackinUniverse/tree/master/npcs/crew

There are only two files modified within the last two weeks.

Unless it has something to do with him removing crewmemberhunter.

I can test that in like 2 seconds.

Fact is, I'll also test greg.

EDIT: Nope. I re-added crewmemberhunter, and I swapped out Greg for something else (and renamed it greg to make sure it wouldn't crash).

The problem persists.

I just checked, the last time \scripts\ was updated was 22 days ago (I know for a fact it was working then), and everything else in \npcs\ was updated 13+ days ago (which I know it was working back then).

It must be something REALLY obscure. It'd be nice if the game's log system actually generated errors that we could actually understand and troubleshoot.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  7. SimCord

Okay, I decided to play on a friends game recently, and oddly enough.. I was able to recruit crew members as if I never had a problem to begin with, I was even able to get that final ship upgrade legally as well.

I dunno what to say, I guess somethings messed up with my single player game.