1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

odd snes file in starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tourmaline03, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Tourmaline03

Tourmaline03 Aquatic Astronaut

so i was trying to find a solution to a bug i encountered (which was resolved like 20 mins ago) and while i was looking throught the game files i saw a strange file, starbound.log1 . now this may seem like an ordianry file, but if you have an snes emulator, the file registers as a snes rom. now i really want to run this rom on my emulator but im not for a few reasons. i dont want to mess up my computer and i am scared that it will. if anyone else has a snes emulator can you try running it just so i can see what happens? nothing might happen at all. or maybe something really cool who knows?

(sorry for the bad grammer my brain is too tired for this)

2. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I imagine the absolute worst that would happen is the emulator would just fuck up.

The starbound.log.X files are additional files the game generates as backups of previous log files and sometimes with additional debug information hidden in the default .log.

They aren't actually SNES rom files at all.

3. Tourmaline03

yeah itll probably just say corrupted file lol

4. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can open the log file in notepad if you really want to see what it is. It'll have some game loading info, anything that happened in your chat box, and stuff like that.

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

File extensions do not have a universal registry - so any program can create their own file extension names as they wish.
    .log files are most commonly text files - as they are a "log" of events.

Though there are other uses for it also - for example.
    http://filext.com/file-extension/LOG

6. Tourmaline03

alright i ran it and it did nothing.

7. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

I saw that too. Would be cool if it was real though, and you hear that famous Starbound theme in bit format.

8. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

As The | Suit tried to point out, it's not a snes rom. Or rather, specifically when you installed your emulator, your emulator told your computer "ok, any file you see that has '.log1' (or log2, log3, etc) at the end of its filename, I want to open." But now starbound came along and said, "I have these files as extra logs because the first log ran out of space." But your emulator already registered that extension so when windows sees any file type with that extension it thinks that those other files are for the emulator--when in all actuality they're just separate, non-related files that have the same file extension.