Race Racial Abilities, To spice things up a bit.

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Littleman9Mew2, Aug 1, 2016.

?

Should each race have unique abilities from each other?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2016.
  1. Yes! It would be cool!

87.5%
  2. No! It wouldn't be cool!

12.5%
  1. Littleman9Mew2

Littleman9Mew2 Zero Gravity Genie

I've recently got the game as few days before release and unlike some, I decide to research way beforehand about the community. Mainly the reviews, but some on here, and the wiki itself. I've seen to notice that plenty of people who played Beta Starbound always said that Chucklefish removed the "Racial Abilities" in option of the "Racial" armor sets. So this made me wonder: can we come with a compromise?

I've researched the races and out the time thinking and discussing with a fellow friend/player, some ideas that the races should have. The idea is this:
    Every race is going to have 1 or 2 Positive racial abilities.
    Every race is going to have 1 or 2 Negative racial abilities.
    The abilities should not be too drastic of change in gameplay, such as skipping armors/major equipment.

Let's start with the Human:

HUMAN
    The human, being the most basic race chosen based on a "modern" style it should have a basic ability for weapons:
    POSITIVE:
    -The human when using guns will do 10% more damage with said gun than any other weapon type.
    -The human gains a +1 Range on the matter manipulator.
    NEGATIVE:
    -The human also gains a 10% extra damage from being hit by monsters.

APEX
    The apex, and ape race based on the book of 1984, is based on a super futuristic dystopian society. The armor sets are named after different type of spy agents with similar styles of the human.
    POSITIVE:
    -The apex is slightly harder to be spotted by other enemies by about 20%.
    -The apex has a 10% armor bonus.
    NEGATIVE:
    -All Weapon damage is reduced by 5%

Avian
    The avian race is based on birds, (reminds me of the chozo from Metroid) and with that comes some abilities that comes with.
    POSITIVE:
    -The avians gain an extra 3 tiles in jump height, 6 with a double jump.
    -The avians gain a 25% reduced fall damage.
    NEGATIVE:
    -Element spells, except poison, do 5% more damage.

-A 5% reduced speed on the ground.

Glitch
    Based off of a robotic race, this is going to be a bit more advantageous for some things.
    POSITIVE:
    -The Glitch now breath 80% longer than the other races, lasting longer in space and suffocation.
    -They have a 10% resistance to fire.
    NEGATIVE:
    -Suffers a slowness speed of 10% when underwater.
    -Shock does extra damage by 15%
    -
    Crashes game

Floran
    The floran are based on plantlife and nature allowing a slight flexibility with mother nature.
    POSITIVE:
    -Florans have a (literal) green thumb, gaining +1 seed and +1 harvest from crops.
    -Healing items are 10% more effective and last 10% longer
    NEGATIVE:
    -They have a 10% weakness to fire (and magma)
    -Take 5% extra damage, (Doesn't stack with weakness to fire)

Hylotl
    A species that are based on aquatic creatures, with still the idea of nature in a way.
    POSITIVE:
    -Hylotl's gain 50% more speed in underwater environments, no matter the liquid.
    -Suffocation meter lasts 25% longer
    NEGATIVE:
    -10% weakness to shock damage
    -(-1) in jump height

Novakid
    The race made up of (hot!) gasses from an unknown origin.
    POSITIVE:
    -Gain the ability to resist 50% of all fire/magma damage and have longer time between ticks of damage taken from fire/magma
    -Have a chance of 15% to inflict fire damage on all enemies per hit.
    NEGATIVE:
    -10% Slower in water/rain.
    -Positives not in effect when "wet" buff (debuff?) is active

It would be nice for Chucklefish to add some race benifits besides the armor as it would be a bit helpful depending on the gameplay you want or the abilities you want. Some people wanted the race abilities to be left in the game before removal and this would be cool to have as to help make some things easier and make the choice of the different races matter depending on the way you play.

Is the abilities good? Well it all boils down to what the community as a whole wants for abilities!

awsmsauce012 and Centonux like this.
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Sorry, but they already confined they won't be adding racial gameplay differences as that would make players chose races for their stats and abilities over liking them more. If you want racial differences, there are plenty of awesome mods available that suit this really well.

jonathonspy likes this.
  3. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

jonathonspy and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  4. SketchSlayer

SketchSlayer Void-Bound Voyager

Personally I find it weird how two races in particular are able to drown, the fishmen and the robots...
    I mean I could get the robots being weaker to water related damage but the lack of being organic limits the actual need for air, and fish peoples be fish they are made for being under water...

Game needs a mod which actually takes this into account unlike the frackin thing which still seems to think them drowning is a good thing... races in games aren't meant to be balanced I mean look at TES the Khajiit they're clearly the best choice for an easy stealth character where Argonians are better if you like swimming around or elves for mages, etc.

Flight might be a bit OP (due to it's combat abusability mainly) for a racial but no fall damage for one could work, a good racial abilities mod would take a lot of work but at the same time you shouldn't be picking races purely on cosmetics, hell even in oblivion I picked Khajiit despite them lookin horrendous in that game (what went wrong with the character design there my gawd).

But yeah, may as well not have races if they all work identically.

Centonux and Littleman9Mew2 like this.
  5. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

... Do you even bother to read the description? :facepalm:

6. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Could not disagree more with each and every one

7. Jareix Cryvix

The OP ones or the FU ones?

8. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

Boop!
    Did you know that racial abilities used to exist before the Upeat Giraffe update if you wore a matching set of armor?
    If I'm correct,
    • Floran's produced more energy if they touched sunlight
    • Humans gained more inventory space
    • Avains could glide
    • Novakids generatered light (they do now normally)
    ._. I don't remember the other ones...

9. Jareix Cryvix

No... No they didn't... If they ever existed, it was before even giraffe. Probably even before koala.

10. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

It was when Starbound was in Greenlight!
    Right after first release on steam!
    Before there were any missions...
    And Dreadwing was just on some random planet that you would explore on your own.

11. Jareix Cryvix

Yeah, that was back before giraffe. Either late penguin, or early koala. Novakids didn't even exist until giraffe.

12. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

You're probably right about that...
    I just remember a really long time ago, during Greenlight, that I was sad that my Avian couldn't glide while wearing matching armor.

13. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

At the release of the game, the races are almost merged. It is strange that we are given a unique ship.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  14. PixelnRainbows

PixelnRainbows Space Hobo

Yeah i miss that too. I kind of want to around in space as my old glitch character and laugh at my best friend because he's playing Novakid and missing air. Could be fun! I can maybe help you. Contact me somehow, I'll show you.

15. 9w3rd

9w3rd Aquatic Astronaut

This thread is pretty old, but why do they think players having a favorite race is bad?

16. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

I honestly can't think of a reason besides having one race better than another.
    And when the racial abilities did exist, the humans would get more inventory space.
    They said that more inventory space was bland and that they were gonna change it later.
    Maybe they couldn't think of some unique effect without making another race look bad.

17. Aezur

Aezur Big Damn Hero

It's super dumb the reasoning behind not implementing diferent abilities.

Let's look at it from a logical point of view.

The reason behind it is suposedly players choosing a race they like (aesthetics or what?) instead of a race because of its traits. By making fishfolk and robots and bird be exactly like humans or apes, playing with these would actually sound stupid from a gameplay aspect since you'd be drowning as a fish, die of lack of oxygen as a robot or falling to your death as a bird. THEN by having no difference in race, it makes much more sense to just go with human or monkey and think the whole race system is useless!!!!