Modding Help [REQUEST] probably impossible to do dungeon balancing mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by foreck, Aug 13, 2016.

?

Should this as well be on the vanilla game?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2016.
  1. Yes, seems very balanced to me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I couldn't care less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I want my freaking items every freaking time I go to the freaking dungeon

40.0%
  4. No.

60.0%
  1. foreck

foreck Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Basically I think the fact that you can --->"repeat missions with better gear to quiclky acquire expensive cosmetic items, then tp to outpost, sell and repeat" is very overpowered and unbalanced.

My idea (and from a coding view seems very difficult but maybe relying on the fact that missions appear to change something when you complete them the first time)) is to: The first time you go to a dungeon all the specific loot (vanity, codex and weapons if any) should stay as normal, but then any repeat of the mission will have only a minor probability ideally of 25-40% of spawning those items, thus making it more difficult/luck based to obtain these items more than once

(sorry if my redaction is a bit complicated, I'm not a native Eng. speaker?

TL;DR: After the first time you complete a quest dungeon, specific items can or not spawn based on probability

Darkspinesupersonic8 likes this.
  2. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

I couldn't vote on the poll as the "No" option seems very aligned to a specific attitude and that attitude simply isn't mine.

I don't agree, more so with the fact people may already be grinding quests and missions for the boss drops, and they have a chance not to drop anything at all, I can agree that the items would be a bit overpowered to acquire over and over again, but it may also give SOME Incentive otherwise to keep grinding the missions if one does so.. You actualyl get things you can at least try to get a profit from, even if the boss gives you squat. It'd make it overall more frustrating if there was a chance of RNGesus deciding that you not only get no boss drops but you get no drops across the entire map either.

Buut.. it sounds like it could be good as a mod! Who knows :3

Just my two cents, it could be very different than what I see it as, and if I was mistaken at all in how I interpreted it, my bad! This is ultimately just my opinion -- so I hope it doesn't offend you or anything :p

foreck likes this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Easiest solution is to make vanity items worth nothing on resale.

4. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Theoretically speaking, I can think of a way to accomplish it. If you have the main missions generate similar to the outpost based on universe flags, then it could have chests with different loot pools.
    The drawback of course, is that because players share a universe, only the first player could benefit from the rewards in the first run. Similar if this was so on a server.

I'm not sure if there can be progression flags tied to a character, otherwise, managing a system like this would be... Problematic.

5. foreck

fixed the poll, I was a bit extremist :nurutease:
    As for the mod itself it is true that it will take away some value from the missions, so another idea I forgot to point out would be to replace the unique items in these chest (again based on probability) with another valuable (such as a reward bag or "high" tier weapon depending on the dungeon)

Overall my intention is to make the instances a bit more "relistic" at the moment of repeting them so they can fit in a playthrough (why someone in the floran mission would bother replacing an ancient chest with unique and special ancient clothes everytime) instead of the repeat mechanic being a metathing for gameplay sake with no logic

And now that I mention It i could spand the idea by removing aswell the npc's in those missions (as they are already on the outpost) so they are in a more plausible scenario.

6. foreck

yeah that will be the easiest way but as I said just in the last reply, that will not fix at all the inmersion problem :/

Well I imagined it wouldn't be easy, but as long I can use it with one character at a time i have no problem in deleting my universe folder everytime. Anothe solution would be that once acquired the vanity items were availave at Treasured Trophies