1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to change your hair, hair color, or underwear color MID-GAME? This is how!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ChouDa243, Aug 9, 2016.

1. ChouDa243

ChouDa243 Void-Bound Voyager

For anyone trying to change their character's hair style, hair color, or underwear color MID-GAME, I just figured out how... and it's a little tricky. I've only done this on humans, none of the other races, and mainly because I wanted control over my characters eye color with the "Anime Eyes for Humans" mod. Don't judge. They look dope. c:

WARNING: This is, in fact, save file editing. So you'll want to be careful and make another copy of your ".player" file found in \Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player (or wherever you have Starbound saved). If anything goes wrong, you can always replace the file you're about to edit with the copy you just made.

I take no responsibility over any problems you may encounter or yadda yadda yadda... I'm trying to help you, don't be a jerk.

ALRIGHT. Steps to changing your character:

1) You'll need Notepad++. I tried with regular Notepad and it wayyyy harder/impossible. So google that biz and download it.

2) Start up Starbound and make a new character (we'll call this the DUMMY character) with whatever skin color, hair style, hair color, and underwear color you want. I'm not sure how to copy over the different idle poses yet (i haven't tried), but I'm sure it's a similar process.

3) After creating the character, close Starbound and go to your /player folder. If you only had 1 character before, then the first ".player" file (not ".player.bak") should be your first character. The second ".player" file would be your second character and so on. If you have trouble locating which file is which, just open the files in Notepad++ and do a ctrl+F to find the correct character names.

Open both ".player" files; your main character (the one you want to edit) and the DUMMY character with the preferred underwear color.

4) Next, find the first mention of your characters name (ctrl+F that). The line in the file should start with "planetName[ENQ][NUL][VT]targetWorld[ENQ][EM]InstanceWorld:eek:utpost:-:-..." You'll know it's the right line becuase it'll have your character name in it and it'll be stupid stupid long. Find the same line in the DUMMY character's ".player" file.

Part where we change the COLORS of your character's hair, skin, and underwear:

5)
    Alright, so you located both lines in both ".player" files, right? Great! Now this next part is just copying from your DUMMY ".player" file into your MAIN ".player" file. In your DUMMY account, look for the first instance where you see "emoteDirectives." After that, copy the looooong string of code that has a bunch of "replace" text and what looks to be HEX codes. For example, mine shows:

emoteDirective[ENQ]r?replace;c7815b=786154;d39c6c=b79480;ffc181=f0c2a8;ffe2c5=f4d1bd?replace;951500=3c2512;be1b00=5c371a;dc1f00=7a4924

See where that "r?replace;" starts (bolded)? Copy that entire thing (leaving the emoteDirective[ENQ] out, obviously).

6) Paste that biz into the SAME LOCATION on your MAIN ".player" file. That's replacing the "r?replace;" text along with all the HEX codes.

7) Do the same thing (that you did in steps 5 and 6) for the next few strings of text that start with "r?replace;". These strings of text come after "bodyDirectives" and "hairDirectives"

Part where we change your characters HAIR STYLE:

8) Now, if you want to change your hair style, it's on the same line! In that same line, find where it says "hairType" and right next to it you'll see something like "male64." This indicates the hair style. Go into your DUMMY character, find whatever hair he/she/it is wearing, and copy that into your MAIN character's file.

Once you've finished copying from the DUMMY account to your MAIN account, YOU'RE DONE! Load up Starbound and if all is as it should be, you should have your main character looking exactly how you want it. And if not, then just do it again!

Happy editing!

2. Eonwulf

Eonwulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I had made a video on this because someone else asked a bit ago. I'll go ahead and throw it down here as well.

Solotl, trickstetsuffle09 and BBYipho like this.
  3. Mentally Kiwi

Mentally Kiwi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mission failed, just deleted my character (for some reason). I backed up tho cause I'm not THAT dumb.

4. Eonwulf

More than likely you didn't do a copy binary content, you just did a normal copy and it converted null values to spaces which made it so your character couldn't load.

Pukitaki and Tamorr like this.
  5. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

@Eonwulf that is really useful. Some ships are only available for specific races, like the Firefly, for example. I might try this to get a better ship.

Btw, do you think it would be possible to change the biome of a planet (that you haven't visited yet) by editing a file? It's very difficult to find an Ocean moon orbiting a gas giant. I just looked for over an hour and found one, but I was wondering if there might be an easier way...

Edit: I found one but I'm using the FU and True Space mods.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  6. ChouDa243

ChouDa243 Void-Bound Voyager

@Eonwulf God damn it, why didn't I see this video last night! It would have saved me... SO MUCH TIME.

Thanks man!

Psygnosis likes this.
  7. Eonwulf

I don't think that would be possible. Because, from what I could tell and what would be a most logical way to do things, is the game doesn't store every planet. It only stores the changes you make to the planet. And it determines what each planet will be by passing it through their universe generating algorithm. So in order to control what a planet would be you would have to change that algorithm like FU does.

8. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Yeah, that makes sense. Well, at least I've found one.

9. Psygnosis

Psygnosis Ketchup Robot

Finally this is what I was looking for !

Thanks man for the tutorial, successfully changed my character hair colour and skin !

10. Zairea the Floran

Zairea the Floran Void-Bound Voyager

I know this is a dead thread, and this is technically necroposting, but... Is there a way we can manually choose the hair color and skin colors using this? I want a color that's not able to be chosen, and there's no mods for the colors I want.

11. trickstetsuffle09

trickstetsuffle09 Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for showing this Vid Mate
    Was Starting to get boring Seeing the same hair