Modding Help Tiled pointing to correct directory?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Grimstuff, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Grimstuff

Grimstuff Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey I'm just starting to get into dungeon editing, going through the Tiled pages on the wiki.

I'm noticing a little oddity though. Having the assets unpacked to assets/packed and opening vanilla dungeon .json files in Tiled gives numerous missing assets as the object .json files all seem to be pointing towards a non-existent Starbound/tiled/packed/objects and materials folder.

[​IMG]

Of course moving my extracted packed folder from Starbound/assets to Starbound/tiled solves the issue, but I'm curious how this affects modding since the actual object .json files that these maps reference point to this directory too, implying the game should be loading them from this tiled/packed/objects and materials folders.. which don't exist normally.

[​IMG]

So I pretty much have two questions if anyone's knowledgeable about this stuff:
    1. Am I doing something wrong, or is the guide on Starbounder outdated and we should add a step of moving the extracted packed folder into the Starbound/tiled folder for modding?
    2. When making my own tiles and objects, should I point their directory references to Starbound/assets or Starbound/tiled? Does the game engine just link these two locations or something? Why are there two anyway, shouldn't everything be compressed into assets/packed?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  2. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

This folder and its files exist on my end, I don't know what's gone wrong on your end.

I'd suggest deleting the folder entirely, then verifying your cache through Steam (Or however you'd go about getting a fresh copy of this folder if you don't use Steam)

3. Grimstuff

Grimstuff Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm, yeah looks like I was doing something wrong there. The game as a whole seem to be missing these heckbrush*.png assets that I was confusing as meaning all assets were still missing when I tested with a vanilla install and still saw the errors popping up. I guess that's what I get for trying to troubleshoot that at 4AM.

Still leaves me with my second question though; which folder the game is actually using? Aka, which I should edit, the packed.pak resources or the ones in the tiled folder?
    Are the .json resource files only for the editor then and the actual game loads from packed or something? Seems so weird to have em separate like that.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  4. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

packed.pak contains its own set of tilesets (Look in the /tilesets folder). These are the actual tilesets. (You shouldn't really be editing these, instead make your own. I'd help you do this but I don't even know this myself)
    The /tiled folder in /Starbound only contains the pngs that tiled needs to display the tilesets (It doesn't refer to .material or .object files at all, so it has no way of knowing hat certain things are upposed to look like)