1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue S.A.I.L Falling asleep after Challenge Room

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Dairuga, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Dairuga

Dairuga Void-Bound Voyager

Me and a friend were attempting a challenge room. Upon teleporting to the challenge room, the game failed to load. I Save and Quit, and tried to rejoin, as my friend managed to enter the room after I had left. When I entered the game, S.A.I.L was sleeping, all the fuel in my ship was gone, I cannot interact with my teleporter or my captain's chair to fly my ship. I can still enter the missions I have done so far (Mining for Crystals and Dreadwing), but nothing else. Quitting and re-entering the game has no effect; starting the character on a singleplayer game has no effect. THe ship is inoperable, I cannot leave the ship, or travel to different planets / Stars.

My operating system is Windows 7, 64bit. (x86)

I would like to attach an error log, but the error logs are not located where the FAQ designates them to be. Starbound.log files are found in both the Giraffe_storage folder, the Koala_storage folder, and in the regular storage folder. Not sure which one is applicable.

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

The storage folder is the right one. It seems that your shipworld has crashed. If you started your game too often since then then your backups are gone. Otherwise you can try restoring one of the backups.

~ Iris ~

3. Dairuga

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't help! In trying to restore my save by reloading the CHaracter backupdata, it seems my ship backups cycled out, sadly. The problem still persists on my oldest backup, so the game is essentially unplayable. I hope this bug gets fixed before long.

4. Iris Blanche

Go in singleplayer, type /admin, then type /upgradeship '{ "shipLevel" : 3 }'
    This restores the ship to the point where the FTL is available. Level 4-8 are the shipupgrades where it gets bigger.
    After you restored your ship type again /admin to leave admin mode.

~ Iris ~

5. Dairuga

I went to Singleplayer, got Adminmode, wrote the listed upgradeship command, and got a message saying "Ship Upgraded", but S.A.I.L is still asleep. Still can't access FTL or teleporter. I tried again with Shiplevel set to 3, still asleep, alas.

6. Dairuga

Okay, update. I tried to do /startquest ' "bootcomputer" ' and that fixed the ship, Kinda. It woke Sail, but it also reduced my ship to a tier 1 ship. Broken, battered, bruised and unable to use FTL. The teleporter is online, now. The problem is that now, even if I get the message "Ship Upgraded" after using the Upgradeship command, the ship doesn't change. I cannot get it back to tier 4 where it used to be.

7. Iris Blanche

Well i think the problem is, that a downgrade isn't possible and the current (achieved) shiplevel is stored in the playerfile. You could try setting a T5 ship if T4 was the last known spot. You will skip a license but you can proceed normally with it.
    Alternatively you can use the tools dump_versioned_json and make_versioned_json to dump the playerfile into a readable format, change the shiplevel to 1 and make the playerfile again. Then the upgradecommands should work again and you can get the exasct same tier you had before.

~ Iris ~

8. Dairuga

Hrmmm. I tried upgrading the ship to a T5 ship. I got the message "Ship Upgraded", in grey, as the game reckognized the upgrade command, but again; No change. Teleporting down and up didn't change anything, and Saving / loading still has a T2 ship. No FTL, only teleport down to planet.
    I have not tried the tools to dump playerfile and manually alter it, but I will try to do so. Thank you for the continued assistance so far. I appreciate it immensly.

9. Dairuga

Addendum. Where can I find these tools?

10. Iris Blanche

They're in the win32 folder, the linux folder or the mac folder depending on which OS your're using.

~ Iris ~

11. Dairuga

Thanks. But it seems I have no idea how to use these tools. They just open up a black cmd screen for a second, some text rolls by too fast to read, and it then closes itself. Can I ask for a quick explanation of how the tools work?

12. Dairuga

Okay! PROBLEM SOLVED
    It took some getting used to, but a friend helped me use the dump_versioned_json and make_versioned_json found in the Win32 folder, and it fixed the problem!
    For anyone in the future that has the same problem, this is how you fix it.
    Go into CMD, use the cd command to navigate your way into the Starbound folder. Copy the player savefile (from the storage folder) into win32 to make it easier on yourself, and rename it into something easily writable (I made my file named Dairuga.player). Then write, in the cmd box, dump_versioned_json nameoffile.player nameoffile.json
    You can open the .json file in notepad, and manually change "Ship Level" from whatever it had been put on (Mine had been put to 1, which is the state wherein S.A.I.L sleeps) to 3 or whatever your ship had been upgraded to. Level 3 is when FTL is unlocked, and level 4-8 is where you have upgraded your ship size.
    After editing, save the .json file, and run make_versioned_json nameoffile.json nameoffile.player (You run the previous command in reverse) to compile the json file into a player file again.
    Lastly, you rename the file from whateveryounamedit.player back into the same name it used to have (The backup files should have the same name, so just copy-paste those) and you're done!

THe bug still persists though, but it was solved on my end.
    It is pretty bad when the game saves corrupted data if two people enter the challenge gate together.
    EDIT: Posted up a picture of the process, so people can see how it is done, if they are stuck themselves.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Iris Blanche likes this.