Tool StarModder Kit : The Modding IDE (WIP)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by C0rdyc3p5, Jul 15, 2016.

1. C0rdyc3p5

C0rdyc3p5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You're tired of going trought your System File to make mods ? You don't have time to lost ? You like simplicity and speed ?

SMK is here for you ! The first Modding IDE for Starbound !

SMKBG.png

Third-Party App :
    - FFmpeg (LGPL) version 2.1
    - SAM, Starbound Asset Manager, By Me
    SMKUpdater, SMK Updater, By Me

Features :
    - Compile your mod
    - Edit .text file within the previewer
    - Preview Audio, Text, Image
    - Fastcopy file from starbound to mods
    - Drag-and-drop file/folder inside your mod
    - Use the In-App Color Palette to select color faster (RGB copied to clipboard)
    - Automatic preference saving
    - In-App Updater
    - Syntax Highlighter
    - Key-Shortcut
    - Open Packed and Unpacked Mods
    - Multi-Mods Open
    - Open File Directory
    - Can use transparency

Demonst.gif

Planned Features :

- Image Editor
    - Audio Converter
    [???]
    - Your Ideas

Download :

- Installable

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jn3ja2c2l3m0ct/SMK_Setup.exe?dl=1

- Non-Installable
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lehxp378yfhafi/SMK.zip?dl=1

KNOW ISSUES :

SMKZERO - If you downloaded the first version, unninstall and redownload

Current :

SMK1 - If you have a slow-writing computer, SMK will stop responding while unpackaging packed.pak on the first start, just wait SAM to ouptput finished and then close SAM, should work fine after.

Fixed :
    SMK2 - Openning large size text file will cause the SMK to stop responding for few seconds, because of the syntax highlighter.
    SMK3 - If assets wasn't unpacked, SMK will error finding it in the starbound folder.
    SMK4 - If there was blank textbox in the Creating Mods Windows, SMK will crash

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

would it be possible for a non-installed version?

Also, basically the features notepad++ offers? Line numbers, code block collapsing, and open/closing bracket highlighting.

3. C0rdyc3p5

I made the .zip but for the closing bracket it's starting to be complicated, line numers it's okay, but I'm sure that the App will slow down to process all these info.

4. FrAndromeda

FrAndromeda Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello, the links don't work for me. Did you delete the files?
    This IDE seems awesome and I'd love to try it out!

5. ProfessorDey

ProfessorDey Void-Bound Voyager

Nice idea, shame it refuses to run for me, it says to select the Starbound folder, but if I do it gives me a 'Packed Assets not found' error and if I select the Starbound>Assets folder it says it can't find Starbound. I'm using a different SteamLibrary than the default because of storage space issues, wouldn't it be simpler to ask for the Starbound folder and then extrapolate where the game and assets would be? Since those files never change relative location to the parent folder, that would save a lot of trouble.

6. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Directed the file to my starbound directory like it asked me to, which for me is "F:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Starbound". Got an error saying "Packed Assets was not found SMK will exit" and now it does not give an option to locate the directory again and just give same error over and over.

7. C0rdyc3p5

- Link Fixed

- Fixed the assets issue

8. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

Haven't played around with it yet, but from installing I can say that I missed the option to set the location for the unpacked files (or even to skip it and then being able to set a folder if you have already unpacked them beforehand). Also the unpacking seemed longer than when I did it via console like normal, and lacked a message telling you that it actually finished, lol.

9. C0rdyc3p5

When you chose your strbound folder, SMK will search for all needed file from there, and for the unpacking time, I don't know why it's that, I had the same observation

10. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

nono, I mean you can't choose where you want to save them, I personally like to have the unpacked folder also in the starbound folder, but it gets saved into the program files

11. MelOzone

MelOzone Big Damn Hero

Just started using the non-installer version. Some notes:
    - You've intoduced DEL keybinding for deleting folders. Would be useful for having the same for deleting files.
    - Trying to create a new mod, then clicking "create" without filling up any fields crashes the program.
    - It would be of great help if the Object window did not force-collapse when duplicating/deleting, instead refreshing on-the-fly.

12. C0rdyc3p5

Mmmmh, I'm gonna check for the output personalization, but I'm going to have some problem with access control and authorization.

-True
    -Fill them up :nuruwink: Joke, I'm going to fix that
    -I already tried to do it like that, but wasn't able, I can check for other possibilities !

thanks for your reply !

MelOzone likes this.
  13. MelOzone

MelOzone Big Damn Hero

Another suggestion: save metadata not in the .modinfo file but in the _metadata file. This way SB will be able to read it and show within the in-game mod viewer.
    Love the "Push" button.

What did you write it in? C#? .Net? Java?

14. C0rdyc3p5

- Oh yes, it's not like it was before
    EDIT : The metadata file is used by steam ... it use link and steam id for identifier I think it may cause error ..

- .Net 4.5 for linux/osx compatibility with Wine

15. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

I searched everywhere; couldn't find this post..
    I had to look in your recents.. Hmm..
    I saw the old deleted one..
    Anyways..
    Just kidding. Lol. *cringes*
    Anyway.. (No s, moron)
    I don't even know how to add a mod or pak.
    I have a lot of mods I wanna try (Mainly Anime eyes, Fracken U, and AnTiMonsters and maybe some other planet altering mods

16. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Hello and thx you , i start modding and my only issue was about the packing part , so i think your tool is the solution so thx.

Also i've replace some .png file and they are show in red , what does it mean ? it's "only" for said its not vanilla or something is wrong with these files ?
    [​IMG]

17. MelOzone

MelOzone Big Damn Hero

Well, maybe (just maybe) you could add an interface editor. Maybe I can even help with coding as soon as I understand how this thing works. At least you have a nice window and text loading up and running.

Btw. It's very inconvenient that every "Push" opens a new window. Could you possibly dump the asset packer/unpacker info in a single console window with scrolling?

PS. Is the source code available anywhere? What IDE are you using?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  18. C0rdyc3p5

Nope, it's just because Image File are in red, code file in green, saud file in blue, for fast search

- Interface Editor ? You mean my IDE customizable or InGame Image ?
    - For the push, it's because SMK use SAM for compiling/decompiling assets, I can make that after the "push" the windows close...
    - No, the code source is not available, I don't use ANY IDE, this software is 100% by me.

Shadox2.0 likes this.
  19. MelOzone

MelOzone Big Damn Hero

1. It's just that there are plenty of text editors to edit JSON or LUA, but right now I'm writing interfaces (like tooltip windows, container windows etc) for SB. They are essentially JSONs listing widgets (window elements) and their settings (textures, coordinates, size etc). Right now everyone is writing those in text editor afaik. The only way to check how do they look like is to run the game and open the interface you've built. As you can understand, it's very tiresome.
    2. This would be a good idea. I suppose not everyone would like the window to close immediately, so maybe you should make it an option you can set somewhere in the settings.
    3. No, I mean you are writing and compiling your code in some .NET IDE, don't you? Don't know about you, but I can't make an .exe from my code by the power of sheer thought alone. Anyway, if you don't want to share the source, I guess there's no need to answer that.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  20. C0rdyc3p5

1.OMG this idea is so good ! I'm going to work on it soon !
    2.Yep
    3.Okok, I use Visual Studio 2016