1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial How to protect your ship in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Yusuke Urameshi, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

Enter your world in single player.
    Enter the command /admin.
    Enter the command /debug.
    Your screen should look something like this:
    [​IMG]

Notice the dungeon ID that I circled. This one says 65532. Notice that as you move your cursor around, different ID's show up. Take note of these.
    After moving the cursor over my entire ship, I get the IDs:

These numbers may be different for you if you are a different race. I haven't tried it. I am of the human race in Starbound.
    After finding the ID numbers, type:

/settileprotection 65531 true
    /settileprotection 65532 true
    /settileprotection 65535 true

Again these are the ID numbers of my ship. Yours may be different.
    Exit debug mode: /debug
    Exit admin mode: /admin
    Attempt to destroy everything on your ship with your matter manipulator.
    If something breaks, enter /admin mode, then /debug mode again, put your cursor over the area that broke, and note that ID number down that was circled in the picture above. Enter the protection command for that ID number.
    /settileprotection ##### true
    then exit debug and admin mode again and repeat the process until you can't break anything on your ship.
    This effect persists into multiplayer. I have tested this with an irl friend of mine and we are unable to break anything on eachothers ship.
    [​IMG]

Now, as seen in the picture above, I block off all of my loot with blocks while in multiplayer. I myself cannot even access it. I do this because with doors, anyone can still open them even though they are protected. They can still be interacted with. The same applies to containers. They cannot be destroyed, but they CAN BE interacted with and looted. The only container I leave out in the open has fuel in it.
    I suggest going to a remote planet, hiding your treasure there, and then when you are done doing multiplayer, leave your party and grab it all up. Go back to your single player world and enter the same commands you did before except change true to false. Again making sure you are in admin mode. Now you can get into your treasure room and put away all your loot, while not being part of a party. Going back to multiplayer may be necessary to grab up the rest of your loot, but you will not be a part of a party anymore, and people will be unable to teleport to your now unprotected ship.
    The only way anyone can get around this is to have admin privileges. Which if your server gives admin privileges to just anybody then you shouldn't be playing there anyway. If you have a jerk admin or moderator then yeah, they could turn protections off on your ship. But this will stop most of the headache against the general user.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope some people found this useful. I have played on dozens of Minecraft servers and I don't even bother with them if I cannot protect my builds, because I have had my home griefed before. No one likes wasting time.

EVEN STILL please note: ALWAYS for the love of God, MAKE BACKUPS of your storage folder somewhat regularly. On my Windows 7 computer, mine is located by default at:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\storage
    Even if this protection is fool proof, there are bugs in the game. Save files can get corrupted one way or the other. I still would do this, especially if you have spent 90+ hours in the game like I have. That's me being perhaps overly cautious. But I do it without regrets. Just a heads up.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    N3tRunn3r likes this.
  2. robotreborn

robotreborn Master Chief

Awesome tip m8, will try later

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

3. N3tRunn3r

N3tRunn3r Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I haven't played multiplayer in Starbound yet, just because of these griefing issues and what I've had read.

• Are those issues/griefers still persistent?
    • Can players still enter your ship without being in a party, so to grief and destroy your ship?
    • Is it still possible that "modded clients" (players with mods installed) are "compatible" with your vanilla client, so they have a chance to play with/against you with a high variety of (griefing) advantage, e.g. to bypass any protections, steal everything within a second, kill you?

If yes, it seems your workaround is actually the best we can do to prevent it.. Tho, players can still access your chests and admins can revert your protection with a simple step/script. Obviously and as for yet, Starbound Multiplayer is built for being a Co-op Mode. Host a password-protected/private Server just for you and your trusted (RL) friends. Hmm, were is the sense so to join random servers to have some "multiplayer fun"? It is way too much hassle to protect your ship and doing all the process etc just to enter the Multiplayer mode.

I usually create backups manually, whenever I have upgraded or reached something important in Singleplayer. You have collected your stuff, then have mostly "tile-protected" your ship to be ready to enter the multiplayer, and griefers can still steal everything "for free". Sure, restore your backup files afterwards, but those griefers just had looted everything within a sec, for free... while you had needed to play hours.

Where is the sense to join multiplayer when you have reached end-game content and finished the campaign? No need to raid dungeons, grind stuff "together" etc anymore. You finished Starbound, found a planet where you put all your items and stuff just to savely join multiplayer with an empty ship?! Every Ship is individually built and kinda acts as "a home". It is your individually built showcase which should be PROTECTED!!

The Devs really need to develop a system that ONLY YOU can access and modify YOUR SHIP, while visitors can just enter your ship but without ANY access at all. They beam in at the teleporter and you can control your wired triggers to "control" your visitor's movements. An improved idea is that visitors may access your chests and drop stuff but don't be able to remove stuff. A common trading menu as we might know 'em from various MMO's could be also implemented.

The Multiplayer mode needs some polish, I guess.

Question:
    Is it really that hard to develop such a "dynamic" Ship Protection?
    What about a possible option as only you can control your Ship's flight/warp to a next Planet? Or are visitors also be able to control your Ship's Flight System and AI?

• Your Character's and Ship's Hash, your personal Ship control
    • Visitors Hashes are different to yours in general, so they aint have any control at all and be able to grief
    • You are the "Ship Owner"

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  4. Yusuke Urameshi

Yes
    No
    Not that I am aware of. Even if there were, this method still holds merit to protect against the general user. Also, if anyone runs into such a thing, I would very much like to hear about it via private message.
    Not much, except maybe being part of a community and doing building projects together, helping someone out, chatting.
    I agree. If you find a better method I would very much like to hear about it.
    I couldn't agree more.
    I wouldn't think so. But I don't make games.
    I can confirm myself that you can't control someone else's ship. Never tried to operate someone else's AI.

5. N3tRunn3r

N3tRunn3r Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, that's a start ^^

6. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Wow. this looks great. Although it would seem like a huge pain if you did this and decided to change the ship layout so you gotta take off the protection.

Apart from that I'm gonna do this to my ship. I have stuffs designing it that too me ages to find. Its not like I don't trust my friends, better safe than sorry.

Yusuke Urameshi likes this.
  7. Yusuke Urameshi

Yea it is a pain to do sometimes. I was surprised at the lack of protection the majority of servers offered vs. Minecraft servers. At least out of the dozen or so I tried out. There are some out there that protect your ship by default, but this will have to do for the ones that don't. At least until CF lets us do it with a switch or use S.A.I.L. or something. I don't party up too often. But on the chance that I do, this definitely helps me add a random person without having to worry.

8. Deeked

Deeked Void-Bound Voyager

Question: do you know how to edit the tile protection to allow crops to still grow? I was using this to protect my ship on servers, got everything set up, but once I protected it, my on-board farm stopped growing. Any help would be appreciated.