1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help How do server-side mods work?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Tehed, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Tehed

Tehed Space Hobo

Hi folks,

so, I've got myself one of those dedicated servers and thanks to the guides here (especially that one), I got everything working the way I want to, i.e. with different accounts and so on. I wasn't sure about how some things, like Music or difficulty settings are working, so I asked over on reddit, but the one thing I couldn't figure out yet are mods.

Do server-side mods work and if yes, how?
    By "server-side mod", I mean a mod that is active for every player on the server - no matter if the players has installed the mod themselves.

Over on reddit, I used the Hunger Enabler mod as an example. One thing, I read was that you have to put the .pak file into the "mods" directory, which makes sense, because it is referenced in the sbinit.config. This works, if I'm doing it locally, but had no effect when trying it on the server. Well, apart from the server log claiming:
    Code:
    [Info] Root: Detected asset source named 'Hunger Enabler for Casual Mode' at '..\mods\HungerEnabler.pak'
    [Info] Loading assets from: '..\mods\HungerEnabler.pak'
    I tried the same with other mods, as well (WeaponStats, Food Stacks etc.). All were loaded according to the logfile, but none had any effect if it wasn't also installed on client side. The only thing I got working was the Single Starting World Template from the forums here. That worked like a charm, but in that case, you had to copy a whole folder including a ".metadata" file into the "mods" directory of starbound. Usually however, you only get a .pak file.

Well... I couldn't figure that one out yet, so I thought... "hey, there's a multiplayer forum over on chucklefish - maybe they know what's up" ;) Currently, I'm not sure if what I want to do is even possible, but probably I'm just doing something wrong here. Any help, tips, ideas, links would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance and best regards,

/Tehed

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

There are things that the server provides for people that are connected so that they don't need it themselves. Such as Universe and planet data. So generally mods that, say, alter the chance of a scorching city planet to generate, won't be necessary by the users.

A mod that alters the race ships will only be needed by the players themselves, not the server, since the server doesn't really deal with player ships...mostly.

A mod like Fraking Universe is necessary by both server and users. The server needs the mod to know what to generate, and users need it in order to see the new stuff and not crash.

There is no realline to say that Yes, all X mods only need to be server side, or all Y mods require both, etc. Just need to use some logic, and at worst, try it and see.

3. Tehed

Tehed Space Hobo

Thanks for your answer.

I see. I figured it would be something like this. Which, to be honest, is a bit disappointing. That means I can't set up my server with a bunch of convenience mods that are immediately available to the players. I also won't be able to control which mods might not be allowed (although I can't think of any client-only mod, that I'd want to disallow).

Yeah, logic is indeed something I tried to use :p
    And that's why I'd have thought, that I'd be able to install things like the Hunger Enabler, which basically changes a difficulty setting, on a server. Or something like Food Stack, that slightly changes a functionality. For me it'd make sense to have mods like those "server-wide", so that they would apply to all players. Sadly, that didn't work and that means I can't really establish a "rule set" for my server (that can't be overridden by players)

Well, this might be a bit disappointing, but it's certainly not essential and maybe something like that will come in later patches. I'd certainly appreciate that. :)

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

They plan on adding a feature to distribute mods used on a server when someone connects, as well as server side characters instead of client side, so you will be able to one day.

I am not particularly a fan of serverside characters because I use some personal tweak mods to remove tedium for me that others may see as cheating.

Crushedice likes this.