Races are equal... except for ships; let us pick one

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Fibriel Solaer, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Fibriel Solaer

Fibriel Solaer Space Kumquat

Chucklefish has repeatedly professed all throughout Starbound's development that they want all races to be completely equal in gameplay. This is why Hylotl are no better in water than anyone else and why Glitch still need to eat normal food. This is okay with me.

However, each race has a unique ship layout (after upgrading), and my favorite race (Avian) has far and away my least favorite ship; my favorite ships are the Floran and Hylotl ships, with Glitch a close second.

The game's introductory implies that at the time of its destruction, Earth was headed by a peacekeeping force of every race in unity. It further implies that while escaping Earth, the player character hops into the closest ship and flees.

Why then does this ship have to match the character's race? It could theoretically be any ship from any of the races friendly to the Protectorate.

Thus I vote that the player should be able to select which racial ship to use.

Benefits of being able to select a ship:
    • Allows players more freedom of customization without forcing anything on anyone; purists can just pick their own race ship
    • Preserves Chucklefish's bottom line of all races being identical in gameplay
    • Frees race modders from having to provide a ship
    • Allows Chucklefish & modders to make new ships without having to make new races too
    • Opens possibility later of switching ships mid-game (e.g. reverse-engineering non-playable-race technology to build ships)
    • Complements world setting / lore (at least before mods)

2. ClassyGamer01

ClassyGamer01 Void-Bound Voyager

Not trying to be an ass, but here is your devils advocate.
    Modders will have a easier time yes, but it might make them lazy in the process.

Ainzoal likes this.
  3. bouncyball125

bouncyball125 Poptop Tamer

I think thats a cool customization change that could easily be made.

Its just like how in the earlier versions you could only craft your own races armor, but now you can craft any of them and all armor pieces are equal acording to their tier level.

4. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

if chucklefish would live up to the infinite thingy they said they would make it much better than that.
    They would allow is to upgrade the ship with upgrade mdules and even let us choose parts and where to put them. different ship class licences would allows us a different set of rooms, like lets say the inital one room the shup has is a size 1. and the large room is te size 3. so when an upgrade icludes a size 3 upgrade we would be allowed to choose and place either 3xsize ones 1xsize1 and 1xsize 2 or 1x size 3.

After placing those modules we cna choose a background part for them to make the ship have an outer apperance aroudn the palced parts.

That would be so truly sandboxy and individual.

OzonSF and DraikNova like this.
  5. kurisu7885

kurisu7885 Big Damn Hero

I wouldn't mind being able to put a greenhouse on my vessel like for the Floran.

jhilden13 likes this.
  6. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

This is unnecessary and based solely on the whims of few

7. Plasmataz

Plasmataz Subatomic Cosmonaut

First have a vote, then claim that it's based only on the whims of a few. For me, I would love this kind of change and freedom to choose. Some racial ships are just more aesthetically pleasing to me than others and offer a better layout for my needs. If everything else is equal, why bar us from choosing then? Allowing us to use something to snap together different ship rooms and create a ship for a pixel cost would also be amazing, allowing for true individuality and RP, something Starbound should strive for. I wouldn't even be upset if they did away with Racial ships in favor of having Penguin Pete sell multiple unique ships of varying sizes with different bonuses, since larger ships are only useful for storage and personal decoration rather than having any sort of significance to them.

Storm01 and OzonSF like this.
  8. Pierra

Pierra Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I see Fidget, i like

Storm01 likes this.
  9. RedPanda_Warrior

RedPanda_Warrior Star Wrangler

Armor? You must have a mod. Last I checked, you could only craft your own races armor unless you are in admin. There is a mod changing that, though.

10. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

It would be better if they returned to the national weapon. I'm tired of identical swords.

11. missHPfan2

missHPfan2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm pretty sure the ship you start with is your character's personal ship. It sure seems that way, anyway. Ship layout customization would still be cool, though.

12. CatPaw11

CatPaw11 Space Hobo

WE NEED THIS

13. Eranderil Grey

Eranderil Grey Phantasmal Quasar

I believe this is false. Initially, yes, you have only your own. Different merchants throughout the galaxy will sell recipes of their race armor, making it possible to craft. No mod required. So yes, you have to find far flung merchants who may or may not have the race armor you want, but it is fully possible to craft other races armor.(Unless this has been patched, at some point when I wasn't looking, in which case please correct me.)

On to the topic at hand. LilyV3, you rock. 100% agree with you. Any amount of ship frame customization would be better, even if it would just be mix and match existing parts based on license. I have never really been a huge fan of the license system to begin with. I feel that upgrade modules and increasing tiered materials would be even better, rather than having a license. Why tiered materials? As your ship gets larger it would stand to reason that it would need stronger supporting structures. Stronger supporting structures require stronger materials.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  14. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

well, with this upcoming update focusing mainly on stuff in space (it looks like, anyway), maybe CFG will begin to do something new with our ships?

15. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

I dont know if this has been the case in beta, but since 1.0 release ive never seen a single merchant sell blueprints for anything. ive seen them selling the armor itself, but not the recipe to craft anything

16. Ixus

Ixus Void-Bound Voyager

I vote for habilities on the races, making them different, because they are. It could be simple and would give a spice to the gameplay (Hylotl underwater breath, floran melee damage or speed bonus, etc). I believe you could buy another race ship. To me, sounds better.