Tutorial Starbound Modding Series

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Naddox, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Hey everyone.

I have started up a series to teach how to mod Starbound. I did the first 2 videos overnight and plan to do another 1 probably today. Would love to hear the feedback from the community and see what everyone thinks.

Join me on Discord to get help from me and anyone else who is doing the tutorials.
    https://discord.gg/ucf8akU

And yes, I know I say 'Um' alot.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Good work. I await more videos. :D

But, I agree, probably something about the intro. Maybe shorten it or have information to skip ahead. Otherwise, I like where this is going. :up:

3. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, that is a good idea and I will go ahead and do that.

I wanted to make it so the series and be followed by anyone with 0 experience, so I am starting small and working my way up.

4. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Episode 4 is out now. Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback.

foxtails and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  5. foxtails

foxtails Master Chief

Hey Naddox. Is it okay to upload screenshots of homework assignments here or do you prefer a separate thread?

6. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Go ahead and upload them here. This thread can be the place to discuss the videos and everything. If you have questions feel free to ask them here.

foxtails likes this.
  7. foxtails

foxtails Master Chief

Hi Naddox! This is from our homework assignment in episode 3. :chucklefish:
    Will start next assignment when i get home tonight.

Naddox_Modding_HW_ep3_a.png wool_crafted.png

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  8. Majima

Majima Void-Bound Voyager

Great job on the videos Naddox, this is very easy for someone new to starbound modding to follow and you did a superb job at laying down a foundation for people to follow. Thank you for taking the time to do this and I look forward to more videos.

Naddox likes this.
  9. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Good job! I decided to setup a discord chat for everyone to come join so everyone who is following this can chat with each other and help each other out if need be. Check it out. https://discord.gg/ucf8akU

10. DarkArray

DarkArray Big Damn Hero

I know it would take "a bit" longer to explain, but could you show how to create an own tech.
    It doesn't have to be shown that soon, but i think it would be interesting to know about.

Sorry for any text fails in my messages. My English not THAT GOOD.

I hope you continue the Tutorial-Series, it is very good and helped me out in some serious questions
    that I've searched for on the internet for weeks.

11. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

12. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Making a tech requires you to be very well versed in lua.
    It is not something you teach so easily.

https://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html
    http://www.phailed.me/2011/02/learn-lua-the-hard-way-1/

13. Atri

Atri Void-Bound Voyager

Hi Naddox. I just wanted to say thanks for making the tutorials. I'm only at episode 1 and my files are currently unpacking, but I allready am really hyped to mod in my own weapons and tools thanks to your tutorials. There are not many tutorials out there, and most of those that exist are outdated anyway, so thanks again.

14. StainedPainter7

StainedPainter7 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hey naddox or anyone who reads this and can help with animating a character as a mod like what im trying to do is create a stand mod from the anime jojo's bizarre adventure but i dont know how to animate and make it actually work
    so if anyone can help that would be great.

15. Wingzrooke

Wingzrooke Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I successfully completed ep 7, I thought. I made the cobalt lightpole as well. But when I went to test the cobalt lightpole, for some reason the image of the tin lightpole no longer shows up. It acts like it's there and lights up the area, but the pole itself is invisible...not certain what I did wrong. I gave the lightpoles different names (tlightpole & clightpole), used different images, and typed up the second set of .object & .frames seperately. The lightpoles are in different folders, too (tin & cobalt respectively). Is there something I missed? I did just recolor/rename a copy of the image for the original lightpole, could that be it?

Also: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE show the coding in bigger text. I found I can make text in Atom look bigger by holding cntrl and rolling the clickwheel, if that helps. But I can't see when you are typing code what you are typing, so I end up having to download a copy in order to see what you are talking about.

That said, I really love this series, it is awesome! And thank you for making it. I've tried to follow along with other vids posted on youtube about how to make mods for Starbound, but they never worked for me. I really hope you do one on how to animate animals/npcs & how to control what radius they go in. Mostly because I really want to create a mod to spawn "pet" fish in any lake/pool/well I build on my homeworld. ^_^