Odd Spouse Behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CowsGoM00, Aug 3, 2016.

1. CowsGoM00

CowsGoM00 Subatomic Cosmonaut

So, I've been married to Elliot for about a year, we had a kid, and everything was normal for a while. Well, one day he just didn't want to get out of bed and he was missing a heart. I've read on the here that spouses will randomly lose hearts, so I wasn't that concerned. I just gave him beer until he had full hearts again. However, today was Alex's birthday and I gave him a complete breakfast (my relationships consist of giving people one gift a year and then ignoring them, and everyone likes me). The last time I talked to Elliot after that he had mentioned that he heard I gave Alex a complete breakfast, and asked if he should be suspicious of me!
    I found this to be odd, but maybe I'm over analyzing what my virtual, nonexistent husband says. Could I actually lose hearts if I socialize with other single NPCs? Has anyone else had their spouse say odd things like this? I knew I should have had him sign a prenup!

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Don't worry, this is a totally normal (albeit annoying) feature with all spouses. Sebastian did the "stay in bed all day" thing with me once too, and all spouses can sometimes get jealous if you give another single a gift (even on their birthday). The random drop in hearts doesn't seem to be related to anything you're doing, so long as you give them gifts and morning kisses every day. You can still talk to whoever you want though, your spouse won't get mad over that.

• Reddestiny921

Reddestiny921 Pangalactic Porcupine

I kind of like that feature, like they don't just love you forever once you reach the end you have to make a little extra to give them more attention, Sebby never loses a heart or stays in bed all day with me because I kiss him several times a day and gift his favorites all the time, though Elliot is listed as my boyfriend and I'm still not best friends with him, I got Leah's ten heart event and she kisses you but he also says nothing when I gift her he does get jealous over Alex though. I play with a story in mind so it all works out for me.

• DarkOmegaMK2

DarkOmegaMK2 Pangalactic Porcupine

Spouses will get pissy if you give gifts to anyone else, and yes, this also includes their birthday.

• LuthienNightwolf

I don't mind having to maintain the relationship, I enjoy that part of it and I kept Seb very happy in my last save (not married yet on my current one) and it still happened. It seems to either be a random thing or possibly tied to whatever luck you have for that day. I had managed to give everyone birthday gifts without him getting jealous and then I got to Alex and I got the jealous talk. No rhyme or reason, it just happens.

• DarkOmegaMK2

According to the wiki luck is a factor supposedly, but i have gifted things to people and despite having eaten a pumpkin soup before a gift fest, i seem to get the same chances as if i had not buffed my luck before hand. So i don't really think that the luck stat is a factor in this whatsoever.

• LuthienNightwolf

Not sure, that's just what someone else told me on another thread about this same topic. I have a habit of not checking my luck for the day anyway. >u<

• CowsGoM00

I like the feature of a jealous spouse, to be honest, but I feel like there should be more to triggering jealousy than just giving someone a gift, like maybe if you've lost a couple of hearts or something before they become jealous. Spouses seem way too clingy.

• Red_Rose

Red_Rose Phantasmal Quasar

Yes spouses will show Jealousy it something people either like or really dislike but I myself do like that feature, but yes the whole dating dose not end even after your married you have to talk and kiss your spouse.

• CjBeats

CjBeats Weight of the Sky

Spouses get jealous for one reason or another and, now don't quote me on this, I heard that depending on who you marry depends who they get jealous over. Like for me Abby got jealous over Haley, but not Seb. So I think maybe if you marry a girl they get jealous of the girls and vice versa. Personally I kinda like it, like what @Reddestiny921 said, they don't just love you forever and you kinda have to do a little bit of work to keep up their hearts.

• MoonlitBrenya

MoonlitBrenya Existential Complex

I have only had a jealous Elliot once, and that was when I was slacking in gifting him. Since then, he gets a loved gift and a hug/kiss before I do ANYTHING else, unless of course he's already off and exploring the house before I make it to him, in which case I just stalk him till he stops. Haven't had an issue since, and I gift everyone for their birthday.

• Reddestiny921

Reddestiny921 Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't understand jealousy whether I like it or not, I've only had Seb ask if he should be suspicious of me giving gifts once in a while, Harvey and Elliot didn't care and I gave gifts almost every day when I was married to them. Maybe I should ignore Seb for a few days and spoil one of boyfriends or girlfriends to see what happens.

• CowsGoM00

On a random side note:
                            After getting Elliot back to full hearts he asked me if we should have another child. I said yes and the next day he was pouting in bed, telling me to make my own breakfast (as if he ever does), and lost a heart again! Maybe it's not the gift giving that's bothering him, maybe I'm just a disappointment...

• LuthienNightwolf

Are you talking to him at least once a day (you can actually do this three separate times) and kissing him in the morning? That's the only thing I can think of that might be causing it, unless it's just random.

• DarkOmegaMK2

I have seen cases with Penny in which she would lose 1 heart with me for seemingly no reason, i did talk to my spouse everyday and in that period i did not give anything to anyone through the whole season and it still happened.

My guess is that at some point your spouse will just lose hearts from time to time (like once a year maybe...?)

• CowsGoM00

Yes. It's part of my routine to talk to him both in the morning and at night/kiss him in the morning. I usually gift him every other day. It's not a concern, just a little funny and a little annoying. I mean, I lost one heart randomly twice in what was less than one season. I think it is just purely random and is there to add more "flavor" to the game. When you think about it, in real life talking to your spouse three times a day and kissing them once a day would probably kill your marriage quickly.

• plc

plc Astral Cartographer

I think it's actually random, since I remembered losing a heart twice in one season on my first playthrough (I married Penny), even though I talk to her three times a day, kiss her everyday and give her gifts twice a week. Never even gift other single gifts as well. In fact, after I married Sebastian in this playtthrough, I never once had an occasion where he loses a heart, despite the fact I go on giving spree twice a week with other villagers, including the singles.

• LuthienNightwolf

Then I stand by my first comment all the way at the top...no rhyme or reason, it just happens sometimes. ;)

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                                      • Jaed

Jaed Industrial Terraformer

As I understand it, giving gifts to non-spouses on the birthday has a significant reduction in the chance of spousal "aggro" but it's not a guarantee. I recommend giving loved gifts to the spouse at least a couple times a week.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

From what I can tell, there's a random factor that can lower hearts on any given day, but is made worse by giving gifts to someone unmarried of the opposite sex. So I've given several gifts in a week without lowering Alex's hearts, but also had times when Alex's heart index went down for no discernible reason. (And my avatar hugs him every day.)