1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Trackpad Lag?

Discussion in 'Support' started by I <3 Garrus, Jul 31, 2016.

1. I <3 Garrus

I <3 Garrus Lucky Number 13

Does anyone have any advice (other than getting a little usb mouse) regarding lagging trackpad response while playing on a laptop? The cursor is so incredibly delayed, unresponsive and pretty much renders the game unplayable. Drivers are up-to-date and the trackpad works just fine in other applications.

Arrrgg!

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

I've never owned a trackpad-based laptop (I can't stand resting my palms on them and I've always preferred pointing sticks) but my general advice is to give as much information about your system as possible. (eg. Windows or MacOS? What version? What can you tell us about the brand and version number of your drivers? etc.)

I <3 Garrus likes this.
      • I <3 Garrus

Running up-to-date Windows 10 on a pretty simple little HP Stream. Synaptic branded touchpad, drivers listed on their website as "Windows 10 PS/2 & SMBus Devices v19.0.19.1." Funny thing is, though, when I look at the drivers on the system I actually have version 19.2.x.x (can't remember exact number off the top of my head), so when I go to install the drivers directly from the site it says I've already got a better version installed. I'm guessing the drivers I have are actually from some sort of HP software. I suppose I should try to completely uninstall the drivers and reinstall from the website?

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Hrm, just out of curiosity. If you load up your game, and go to the Options menu. There's a setting under the Graphics section; a little checkbox that says "Use Hardware Cursor".
          If you check it, does it fix the responsiveness for you?
          And, are you fullscreen or windowed when this happens?

I <3 Garrus likes this.
          • I <3 Garrus

You know, I quickly looked for a hardware cursor option and didn't see it. I'll check again (I do have a habit of looking right over things when I most need them) when I go to play tonight. Also, I've tried in Fullscreen and Windowed mode with the same issue. I thought going to windowed would solve it, initially. But, alas.
            --- Post updated ---
            Well, the hardware cursor option is greyed out so I don't even have the option to try it. Boo.

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

Huh. First time I've seen a modern game less functional on real Windows than Linux+Wine. (The screenshot is annotated because you ninja'd the explanatory post I was going to make.)

(Seeing old Windows 3.1 and Windows 9x games play better on Linux than modern Windows is normal. In fact, GOG.com's secret to resurrecting DirectDraw is to borrow the Wine DirectX DLLs that translate to OpenGL under the hood.)

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Hrm, that's really interesting. Would you be able to see if the Vsync is on, and try disabling it if it is? Here's a guide that should work for your system.
                I'm wondering if there's an issue on the graphics side with drawing the mouse cursor in-game. Found someone having a somewhat similar situation with mouse lag due to that option here.