1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What race do I choose!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ant1ant, Jul 22, 2016.

1. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

are they?

http://www.statista.com/statistics/276315/distribution-of-world-of-warcraft-characters-by-race/

tatistically humans are across nearly all games the most chosen race at all. Just fire up google about races and statistics of various games.

2. korda

korda Pangalactic Porcupine

3. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Ruin, is that you?

Seriously though, I suggest the hylotl then. :)

4. Littleman88

Littleman88 Big Damn Hero

Personally...

Hylotl and Floran have the best ships. Humans come in close second. Glitch and Avian third but fly in the face of "high tech" so they're interesting in their own ways. Apex have a crappy diamond for a ship, not sleek at all. Novakid have something truly unique... and annoying.

Physically speaking, I think Apex, Hylotl, and Floran have some of the most appealing options for character creation. Humans are middling, I think I'd like them more if their eyes weren't just two dots. I'd make an adjustment and attach their color to their underwear if I knew how. Glitch and Novakid are eh. Not really interested in Avian.

Apex have the best armors overall as I like the majority of them. Humans come in second, some good, some bad. Glitch third, they get their good armors early and everything after that is just... weird. Hylotl, Floran and Novakid have a few each that are okay. Never liked Avian armor all that much. Fortunately, other race's armor can be purchased/traded, so it's a simple matter of making a new character and getting them to some rendezvous for easy progression and crafting for your main.

5. ZeeHero

ZeeHero Pangalactic Porcupine

I also pick humans in most games, Humans in most science fiction are the "balanced" race, go human for a little bit of everything.

6. ant1ant

ant1ant Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If somebody adds a ruin race then I will use it.

Yumiru likes this.
  7. Paladin Aeldrel Embershade

Paladin Aeldrel Embershade Aquatic Astronaut

I wonder? since ruin is tentacles? kami would likely enjoy it? (kami is a steam user)

8. ant1ant

ant1ant Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or atleast vanity items that make you look like if you were a mini ruin. (Or anything like that.)

9. TheNewTeddy

TheNewTeddy Astral Cartographer

New player here; I figure the OP likely has made a choice given this thread is a week old or so. I bought the game roughly 30 hours ago, and have racked up 20 hours in that time (and no, I didn't leave it on while I was sleeping!)

Anyway, I'm going to start a new character because I've realized what's most important to me when picking a race, the ship.

Given the races otherwise seem very similar, if none of them tickles your fancy, or turns you off, I'd recommend looking at some final tier spaceships for each race and deciding which one you'd most like to be playing with.

10. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

Choo-choo-choose Nova Kids!
    [​IMG]
    #wegottrainpuns

D.M.G. and korda like this.
  11. Evil Drunk Monkey

Evil Drunk Monkey Aquatic Astronaut

Humans officially have the largest ship at max level.

12. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

humans are kinda boring imo

personally i like florans for their personalities and ship aesthetics

13. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

According to the wiki the Floran have the largest ship at the final stage then it goes : Avian, Novakid, Human, Glitch, Apex, Hylotl.

As well I prefer to pick a race that represents my culture, or a culture I admire, Which is why I never play as Floran or Avian.

14. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Citation needed. And by citation needed, I mean it's blatantly wrong.

No single being can live forever, not the Ancients, not the Glitch, not the Novakid, and not the Floran. While they can probably live for up to two centuries or such, there's no evidence suggesting that they're completely immune to the effects of aging. Old Greenfinger's not part of canon anymore either, but even back when he was, there was nothing ever bringing up his age.

It's sure nice to get a super grand idea of something in your mind, but you effectively made that one up.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2017
  15. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

What are your tastes?

16. noobsqoou

noobsqoou Big Damn Hero

My favorite ship overall is the Human ship. All of its space is well-proportioned for use and easy to make accessible for an NPC crew.

The worst ship, imho, is the Apex. It's just too tall (7 bays high) and has several odd-shaped unusable rooms.

The Avian, Glitch, and Hylotl ships suffer from similar problems, but aren't as exaggerated.

The Floran ship is kinda nice, albeit a bit disheveled in appearance. That greenhouse room is a really nice, unique touch.

The Novakid ship, just . . . no.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  17. Hugtality

Hugtality Orbital Explorer

If you don't like the base races, hit the workshop. Seriously, the amount of modded races there are pretty unreal. The Avali is a very advanced modded race, with a huge amount of themed weapons, cosmetics, materials, structures and a ship. The Orcana are also relatively advanced with a custom ship and a handful of cosmetics and weapons. Most of the other races beyond those two may add minor changes but will probably use defaults for a lot of things (human ship, cosmetics and crafting).
    Furthermore, if you want to make your races a little more impactful (maybe make your race feel more unique and suited to your playstyle), try the Frackin' Races mod found here. It adds passive effects to all the base races and a lot of modded races, like diet preference, damage immunities, weapon class buffs, et cetera.

If you don't want to install any mods (a lot of people don't) but don't like any of the base races... welp, can't help you, sorry.

18. Qbi Wan

Qbi Wan Pangalactic Porcupine

I think you need to know the background of all races to decide.
    I prefer Glitch: they're knights, have funny way of speaking and unique appearance (with Novakids they are only nonorganic species). They culture is based on "glitch" which makes them both stuck in medieval social (and a bit technological) system and live in hermetic communities. When any Glitch goes beyond this, they acquire self awareness and true freedom, but also get expelled for heresy. Personally I think it's great background.
    But also I'm little disappointed with glitch story mission:

Florans - big hunt, yeah, main aspect of their culture
    Apex - They're terrorized by Miniknog, but here we end this!
    Hylotl - Wise & mighty nation; here we can admire thousands years of Hylotl's knowledge, technology (holograms and doors), and pressureproof architecture
    Avians - Tour around ancient Temple of Kluex; first with guide, later out of controll
    Glitch - Defend crazy old tincan's little castle against fake-bone-dragon rider. So Booooooooooooring. With such background maybe little infiltration or sth?
    Humans - lack of actuall mission, or even culture scanning; too bad

Humans? Before 1.0 it was fascinating to be homo sapiens and meet other cultures, new species. You land on planet and you see sentient robot... WTF!? SO AWESOME!! But now with Protectorate gathering all species it's not the deal anymore.

19. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Personally, I'm actually rather fond of humanity being a notable presence in the galactic community now. Their optimistic personality is also somewhat more pronounced now, which I like as well. Summed up my thoughts on it in one reddit post of mine, here's a quote:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2017
    Qbi Wan and STCW262 like this.
  20. whipping post

whipping post Cosmic Narwhal

-hard- necro, damn guys