1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Notice CAN'T LAUNCH STARBOUND? Read this!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mollygos, Jul 23, 2016.

1. nddragoon

nddragoon Big Damn Hero

there is absolutely nothing, I just reinstalled the game and it doesn't work, please make a patch to solve the issues! I really want to play :(

2. nddragoon

nddragoon Big Damn Hero

GOOD GOD EVEN AFTER A PATCH YOU CAN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!! PLEASE, CHUCKLEFISH, I WANT TO PLAY STARBOUND!!!!

3. RagnaWolf999

RagnaWolf999 Subatomic Cosmonaut

it works but as soon as i closed the game out then started the game again it was not working

4. oprime007

oprime007 Lucky Number 13

What the crap, my friend who had Starbound with me in early access can play it fine and he has the same windows as me?!?! What the hell is going on with this?
    --- Post updated ---
    when I try to play the game directly through the files it says my computer is missing a file called api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dII

5. TronLogic

TronLogic Big Damn Hero

I've done everything listed in this thread and I still get the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dII error. Never had a problem before 1.0 launch.

6. Sundern

Sundern Orbital Explorer

I did everything but no luck.
    the game window opens with a small white screen, then it crashes with no explanation.

7. xboxxxxd

xboxxxxd Space Hobo

It could be a Problem under windows.
    Mostly Security Issue's Causing this, well, my pc Creates massive error's and crashes games when the game's don't have full right's for me to use them, For this, or other issue's.
    Then try the following Solutions:

1-1:
    Go to the root directory of Starbound, Right click open Properties of the folder, By Attributes: Click on Advanced..., Select Folder is Ready for Archiving,
    Click OK, Click Apply, Now a Window Pop's-up Telling you to Apply this to the following Folders and Files, Select Apply to this folder, subfolders, and files.
    After that, Run the Game, se if the problem got Solved.

1-2:
    Go to the root directory of Starbound, Right click open Properties of the folder, Go to the Security Tab, now in Group or user names:,
    Check for every Group/User if he/she has the full permissions to use this folder, subfolder and files (Exept: CREATOR OWNER), Now click on Edit...,
    Look for Full Control, Check it, And click on Apply, Do this to every Group/User to make sure it's fixed, after all, click OK, and if there's nothing to Apply, Click on OK,
    And sometimes after clicking OK, an Window pop's-up, it tells you to Apply the Changed settings, And click on Apply to this folder, subfolders, and files.
    After that is finished, Run the Game, se if the problem got Solved now.

If the Solutions 1-1 and 1-2 Didnot work, Try these 2 Solutions:

1-3:
    Download the Microsoft XNA framework Redistributable 4.0 refresh.
    install it, Or if you have Terraria Installed, Check for there XNA Installer, this could fix it aswel,
    Still not working?,
    Install Windows Power Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2.
    Or Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2.
    This Could fix Several problems with Library's and .dll's installed on your system, as Starbound uses Several .dll's.
    Wow, is it not working yet?, Well... I got a old file with a build-in openGL32 Driver in opengl32.dll in system32 folder,
    It's a rare file, and hardly to program, I found it after searching like 4 year's, 24/7... lol,
    it got openGL 2.1 if i am correct, not sure.. but you can always try it out!,
    EDIT: the New one's have opengl 3.0!,
    And i updated opengl32.dll package with 3 more including 1 64bit.

(NOTE: this opengl32.dll file also fixe's all your minecraft problems, 97% of them!)

1-4:
    Try another pc or laptop or may even a windows tablet, if it works, enjoy.

1-5:
    Maybe an Modloader or somthing like this wil do the job, try to find one and load the game with it.

1-6:
    In case you have the older Starbound Build's,
    Try this, Open the Folder of the older Starbound Build,
    Go to your 32bit or 64bit folder depending on your system bit's,
    Copy "starbound_opengl.exe" to the Starbound release 1.0 folder in the same folder of the older build.
    Run it, maybe this helps, try this with only the External Executable's,
    (Example: Don't try starbound.exe, it wil crash) otherwise it may crashes and corrupt's files of the game.

Create a Shortcut and add OpenGL or other execution Commands to it.
    It may occur that an Driver does simply not function, or is just bugging out the game, if it's a openGL or DirectX error, or related error's.
    Then try the following Solutions:

2-1:
    WIP - Editing this as soon as possible!. Sorry.
    2-2:
    2-3:
    2-4:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  8. naqsha

naqsha Void-Bound Voyager

now I get a new error since the last update

MSVCP140.dll missing

.___.

9. xboxxxxd

xboxxxxd Space Hobo

Forf*cksake, this website is breaking my browser... >.<
    Anyways, Again.. i posted this before but it broke:

@naqsha Here's a fix for you, possibly:
    (File in .zip format included)

For 32bit, go to C:/Windows/System32/ and put the 32bit version in here, a system restart may be needed!.
    For 64bit, go to C:/Windows/SysWOW64/ and put the 64bit version in here, a system restart may be needed!.
    I hope it works.

Other people where complaining about api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll,
    (Api stands for Application, MS stands for Microsoft, Win is Windows, Crt is Critical, Runtime... you know, l1-1-0 is version the runtime with included patch for Starbound, But ti explain that is far behind reality.)
    Try Starbound on another pc, if it works on that pc, check the difference between the pc that give's the error and the pc that works, if some of the runtime library's are missing,
    install these with the same package you installed them on the pc where starbound works,
    This may prevent you from destroying your pc of going crazy...
    I hope this works aswel.

Attached Files:

naqsha likes this.
  10. parrotboss

parrotboss Space Hobo

Hi I've played starbound for a while now I have 170 hours in game and when I saw starbound had an update I rushed to get it. When I got it it did not launch or show any sign of it loading other than the steam box that said preparing to launch starbound. I tried deleting the files and local content about 8 times it still never worked, I never got the other error message either. My computer is a fairly new custom built pc running on windows 7 because it's my preference, but I was wondering if that might be the issue. Please help!

- Parrot

11. RagnaWolf999

so i got my game to run from steam but as soon as i close it the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll Gets Deleted should i copy it to somewhere else to put a copy back everytime?

12. kacpac

kacpac Aquatic Astronaut

Hey xboxxxxd Thank you for the opengl fixes,i can finally launch starbound.But i am experiencing incredibly low FPS rendering the game unplayable(well playable but it would take me a week to complete the tutorial mission :D).I hope Chucklefish releases a DirectX version or a fix for the OpenGL version.

ErebusAmauro likes this.
  13. Fox (#Izma4ever)

Fox (#Izma4ever) Orbital Explorer

I did everything, everything everyone said, but I can't really change my computer since I don't have another one, but except that, I've replaced files, downloaded another files, re-downloaded the game many times and it all just ends the same, my only hope is a future patch so I can play Starbound again, which makes me really sad since I've aways recomended the game and one friend of mine got the game just to play with me and his one works and mine doesn't.

put the YouTube subtitles if you don't understand portuguese.
    I'm hoping for the best and thank you

RagnaWolf999 likes this.
  14. naqsha

naqsha Void-Bound Voyager

thank you! now it only shows the opengl error. At least that one is fixed!

15. krab421

krab421 Void-Bound Voyager

hello
    i used vc_redist.x86
    AND vc_redist.x64
    still reads the same error
    "MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer.Reinstall the program."

Computers stats are
    Windows 7 home premium x64
    processor supported starbound before, i daont know whats whrong!

HALP!!!

16. puchacho

puchacho Void-Bound Voyager

I can launch and play the .exe but not on steam. Only from main directory, any idea ? :/

17. ErebusAmauro

ErebusAmauro Astral Cartographer

18. RagnaWolf999

unbelievable I uninstall the vc_redist.x64 & vc_redist.x86 and did not reinstall them or any other version of them and the game works also i just closed it out to open it again and no lag or errors really no problems at all. Edit: well one error but the game has no problems

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  19. xboxxxxd

xboxxxxd Space Hobo

Well, it isnt a Hardware driver, it's still mesa3D, it's Virtual, so it needs alot of pixels to process...
    Or Starbound Blocks in this case.. :wot:
    The Latest Beta had an DirectX Installer included, it's gone now, i am really not shure why it's removed at the Release..
    Try the dxwebsetup, maby it helps this problem..

thank you! now it only shows the opengl error. At least that one is fixed!
    About this, Try one of my opengl32.dll files, depending on your system bit's,
    Replace/Place the correct one in C:/Windows/System32/ (64bit = C:/Windows/SysWOW64/),
    Now run the game, if it works... yay, if not .. well, tell me more about it.
    Note: If you can't Replace the opengl32.dll, it may be duo Security reasons of Microsoft Windows,
    It's a real job to unlock it, litterly it can take like 40 minutes playing arround with those settings sometimes..
    If you can't get it replaced tho, i can always give you a Registry Ownership Tool, Made from Raw .reg code.
    --- Post updated ---
    For all those of having trouble with Runtime, @RagnaWolf999 made a point, the Runtime Installer doesnot change a thing, well.. for him it doesnot mather if it's installed,
    same for me, just noticed..
    --- Post updated ---
    I am trying to combine the Latest Beta and Release launchers together so it also supports opengl at it's own, but the problem is, if i do this, i have to update packed.pak,
    but i don't have the stuff for this to be done, So rip for now..

Attached Files:

20. sparda93

sparda93 Void-Bound Voyager

when i try to launch starbound appears this message e10c05c1750590e3c5251e7a3d6347a9.png