1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Recover items from lava?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Nocoffeeman, Jul 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nocoffeeman

Nocoffeeman Space Hobo

Hi.

So I messed up and had all my items on me while mining. And got all the way down to the lava, and fell inn.. My items are therefore in the lava.

Is there any way for me to recover my stuff?

2. resistentialist

resistentialist Pangalactic Porcupine

You can dig underneath your items and pull them through a single layer of blocks, or you can upgrade your matter manipulator to collect liquids.

I believe you can also fill in over the lava and mine that, but it has been a long time since I've tried that.

3. Nocoffeeman

Nocoffeeman Space Hobo

You can even to that to the end lava?
    --- Post updated ---
    [​IMG]

Dont think its possible, tried to block it out.

Well, gotta be more carefull next time.

4. resistentialist

resistentialist Pangalactic Porcupine

try putting a background wall? right click

Nocoffeeman likes this.
  5. Lintton

Lintton Guest

This is correct! you cannot remove the core lava while the background is present. get whatever dirt and cobblestone you have and go down there. make the background then foreground, then try to mine it into a wall. Be sure to make a tile floor, since the bottom of the screen can kill you. You'll be able to get your items still with some precision.

Zinerith and Nocoffeeman like this.
  6. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

wish i were made of pearlpea stew and could survive in lava.

Dextin likes this.
  7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Another alternative:

If you're playing on singleplayer, type /admin, jump in, pick your stuff up, and then swim back up to somewhere safe and then type /admin again.

Nocoffeeman likes this.
  8. Nocoffeeman

Nocoffeeman Space Hobo

Thanks for your help :)

9. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

That is how I was able to mine past the lava ocean in a magma planet! Just so you all know, after the "ocean layer" of lava, the rest of the planet is perfectly normal, as if it were a normal ocean planet, replacing the water ocean with a lava ocean, and not spawning underground settlements (That i know of. I wonder if it does though). Kinda disappointing, to be honest.

10. mad727

mad727 Intergalactic Tourist

In good company.. I spent an hour and half trying to get to my items. I got some back from the bounce when I die again.
    Strange thing happens, even when I put a tile down low as possible, as soon as I step lower then the 3rd row from the bottom I explode... I'll try a few more times then go the "admin" route.
    lava.nightmare.starbound.png 2 diamonds sitting on the bottom..

11. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

hmm, does an attraction zone wand actually affect items?

12. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

It sure does. Still easier to just use /admin

13. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

but thats cheating. Not that it doesn't matter much when it doesn't hurts someoen else, but thats not within the spirit of gaming.

14. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Eh, if the game cheats by making you explode, it seems fair to cheat back by being unexplodable.

15. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

except its not cheating what the game does.

16. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

There's nothing to make you explode. Yet you explode anyway. And it's not ambient heat or anything, which, if the exploding bit is considered valid, would be debilitating even far further out from the core. And for crying out loud, my characters can survive for several seconds in normal lava and gets only mildly bruised if hit by a meteor larger than they are. They constantly get their atoms disassembled and reassembled just for transportation. They should be able to handle being a foot closer to the centre of the planet, especially if what they'd be standing on is ice.

17. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

you only get mildly bruised by a meteor? you must no play vanilla then, meteors kill what they hit. because they deal 1000 defence ignoring damage, so you got a lot more going on than non cheated vanilla.

18. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Oh, then I must have only gotten hit by the explosion.

19. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

I dunno, I don't like spawning in items that help progress my game but as for building stuff or messing around at end-game I'll sometimes /admin and craft this kind of block or spawn this specific item - like a capture pod - to make my life easier.

20. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Or that kluexdamn Big Ape Bust.