Language translation

Discussion in 'Other' started by Taink, Jun 1, 2016.

?

What other language would you like Starbound to be translated in ?

1. French

2. Portuguese

3. Spanish

4. German

5. Italian

6. Any other language (please say what language in the comments)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Taink

Taink Subatomic Cosmonaut

I actually am French, which could be the reason of a few mistakes when I am chatting on this forum.
    Anyways, Starbound is currently a great game. Sadly, the game is only in english. I found most of my friends not understanding everything. I had to explain them, and it isn't a big deal, but I think a community-managed translation of the game could be a thing. There is a big community of french people around here (not as much as english, of course), and most of them can speak english correctly.
    Plague Inc.: Evolved is a community-translated game, in different languages. Something like Google Translate won't translate english into french correctly. I think making Starbound a community-translated game would make it more accessible.
    Hoping that there will be at least the same work on languages as in Terraria, I'll let think about it.
    EDIT: Please, if you want to say that mods already exist, just don't tell it because I know that. I suggested it here because I would like it to be in the vanilla version of the game, not the modded one.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  2. Trollolol07

Trollolol07 Aquatic Astronaut

The sad thing is that the devs rarely reply :/ so we can't know anything

Taink likes this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

One of the other staff did ask Molly about this recently, and she said that the devs would be looking into localization post-1.0. So, I'd expect some more information some time after that's out.

Taink and Trollolol07 like this.
  4. Taink

I could have chosen a better example, that's true. I chose Terraria because in the earlier versions of Terraria, it was well-translated and also because of the number of languages available.
    [​IMG]
    I can't recommend to use an automatic translator, because it won't translate english into french (nor any other languages) correctly. A community-based translation as seen from Plague Inc.: Evolved is waaaay more accurate.

5. DragonsLover

DragonsLover Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd be greatly interested to help translate Starbound to French. I'm myself one of the proofreaders of Minecraft for the French Canadian language and I'd be more than glad to make sure everything is correctly translated.

My suggestion would be to use a localization management website so that everyone can contribute. The goodside is that everyone can bring their help to the translations. The downside is that it can result to bad translations unless there's some proofreading.

Anyway, if Chucklefish can announce something about that, I want to be informed.

Thanks!

6. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

If such website exists, I could help proofreading English to Spanish / English to German, and help with translating from time to time. That is Until the developer take their hands on the matter of course.

7. Maitreyarck

Maitreyarck Void-Bound Voyager

J'aimerais jouer en français, si possible. ^^

I would like to play in French, if possible. ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2016
  8. Jonesy

We require all posts to be in English, or at least provide a translation. I've added one for you, but you need to include them yourself from now on.

9. Maitreyarck

Vous voulez que je parle anglais sur votre forum ?
    J'ai pas un bon niveau, je sais plus ou moins le comprendre mais l'écrire c'est une autre affaire. ^^

You want me to speak English on your forum?
    I have not a good level, I know more or less understand, but the writing is another matter. ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016
  10. Jonesy

If your English isn't good, just use a translator (e.g. Google Translate). It's not always accurate, but it usually gets the point across.

11. Maitreyarck

Je post rarement, là occasionnellement je poste deux à trois jours de suite, car je souhaite deux choses.
    Une traduction en français du jeu, ainsi que Creative Mode pour la version 1.0 version non steam.
    C'est tout, je compte pas vous nuire plus longtemps.
    Bonne journée à toi Jonesy. ^^

I rarely post, where I post occasionally two or three days in a row because I want two things.
    A French translation of the game, and Creative Mode for version 1.0 non steam release.
    That's all, I count not harm you any longer.
    Good day to you Jonesy. ^^

12. Jonesy

Just remember to include a translation whenever you post. I can't keep doing it for you, as it's your responsibility.

13. Maitreyarck

Je veux bien essayer, mais faut pas se plaindre après. Comme je vous l'ai dit la traduction de google est nul.

I want to try, but not complain after . As I have said Google Translation sucks.

14. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

I could definitely help with translation to Russian, I already saw a mod for this recently (it's unfinished).

15. kolorafa

kolorafa Intergalactic Tourist

Personally english version is totally fine as i use it daily, but i could help translate it to Polish.

16. Taink

So, yeah if anything happens, I'll be pleased to know about it.

17. Taink

So nothing happened ? It's a shame, really :/

18. ludo1800

ludo1800 Space Hobo

Sorry to exhume this very old thread...

But I saw in the Starbound files a "translations" folder with 16 "qt-??.qm" files . ?? for en, fr, it, de, etc...
    So, what are they for ? How can we use them ?
    I checked with a hex viewer, these look good, as least, for the french one ;) !