1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Self regulation in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Arsakes, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Arsakes

Arsakes Phantasmal Quasar

Hi,

I prefer roleplay-like multiplayer experience - however most servers I've encoutered impose artifical constraints upon players to make that roleplay possible.
    Combat RP rules, no griefing no powergaming etc.

To me - this doesn't make sense at all.
    Is there a server that somehow is self-regulated? I mean it allow for sustained sandbox - like gameplay without admin interventions only through reasonable mechanics.

To experience players - what you think are the major reasons that role-play servers have to be regulated by people?

2. TheDerpySupport

TheDerpySupport Subatomic Cosmonaut

Out of curiousity what is "power gaming"?

As for "No Griefing' this is a pretty standard rule on alot of sandbox multiplayer private servers. People don't enjoy getting their stuff looted by random people.

3. Arsakes

Hahah good question - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powergaming

You see if people don't enjoy getting their stuff looted by random people - then one should give them ability to defend their base when they're not around.
    Saying : griefing is not allowed make something like a base defences completely obsolete.
    Unfortunately this is only option since there is no mechanics for supporting colony containers defence.

Check out Salem only game I know that dealt in this problem by creating super cool mechanics.
    Salem welcomes griefers - the only problem is griefing is very risky there :)

4. TheDerpySupport

TheDerpySupport Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well after reading what powergaming is; seems like the normal thing every rpg player does in online games...It's especially known in korean grinders

5. Arsakes

Yes - you're getting it! this is precisely the thing - you almost cannot fight it and enforce rolplay behaviour - this is in fact normal behaviour.
    People are just very good bots that win the game - whatever winning means.

The only problem is that this behaviour produces bad multiplayer experience and grinding is basicaly singleplayer experince...

The question is:
    How we can design games in a way that typical player attitude : "play to win" produces better gameplay experience for each player in multiplayer case.

In singleplayer game you have rich lore nice character creations beacuse devs put their intellect and time to create such world for you.
    In most multiplayer games players simply aren't producing anything nearly as cool.