1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Dash Test Obstacle course Quest is to hard.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MaxHeadroom, Jul 24, 2016.

1. MaxHeadroom

MaxHeadroom Void-Bound Voyager

Hi,

Love this game, I have clocked some 400+ hours during beta and I've never really had any issues with the game even when it was choppy due to FPS issues, it never bothered me.

But the Dash mission is just too hard. I can't get past the last part with the freeze rays. The door keeps closing just in front of me and I spent 30-45 min on that last part of the quest alone.

From reading the forum it seems this quest is based on your frame rate, which would explain why it went like a breeze for my friends with better more modern computers than mine.

Please make that course a bit easier for those of us with older hardware.
    I'm running a Lenovo w510 i7 Q820@1,73Ghz 8Gb ram and a nVidia Quadro FX880M not the greatest computer on earth, but it works for almost everything I need it for. Except the dash quest.

As it stands right now I can't complete that quest and progress throughout the game. It makes me a sad penguin.

2. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

While you need that quest in order to get tech abilities, you dont need to do that quest in order to progress through the game.

3. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

I don't know what you mean. 1 shot that hard, I thought that was way too easy and a little boring even...

4. FIowey

FIowey Subatomic Cosmonaut

As he's saying depends on your FPS... at low rates is impossible to do it

5. dareddevil7

dareddevil7 Pangalactic Porcupine

First time I did it in the nightly it took me forever to beat it, but when I played it in the full release I had no issue, maybe it's this mechanical keyboard. But I can see how FPS could make it unfair.

6. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

I do read. I never said I didn't have dropped frames or lag... the FPS would have to be terribad to mess up the timing there so much that it's impossible... the rest of the game would be nigh unplayable if it was bad enough to mess up dashing under those beams in a contained environment, they were off for a considerable amount of time. sure it would be a rough go, but there are all kinds of ways to improve FPS without waiting on the developers to go in and recode it.

7. Phantom5582

Phantom5582 Phantasmal Quasar

If you don't mind a slight bit of cheating, the /admin command will make you immune to the freeze rays. I always get stuck on that bit and turn on the command just for that part alone.

arden03 likes this.
  8. TheDerpySupport

TheDerpySupport Subatomic Cosmonaut

You're running that and you're having issues? Like holy...I'm running starbound on a Dualcore 3.2ghz intell processor, 4 gigs of ram and an AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card and I beat the challenge with no issue

9. stealthXG

stealthXG Pangalactic Porcupine

If you haven't done this try zooming in on your character and putting the game in windowed mode, that surely should increase your FPS.

10. iwamineshuu

iwamineshuu Intergalactic Tourist

Oh dear god this is nearly impossible on my poor old computer...unless I somehow become a master of the lag

11. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

If you are unable to do it because of performance issues due to older computers... That is not Chucklefish's fault.

The challenge is fine. It is your computer that is the problem. Like any troubleshooting, you need to solve the problem, not put a patch over it.

12. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

This is kind of cheesing it, but might I recommend trying to find a spear with the Blink Explosion special? Using that, you'll be able to teleport right past at least one beam while it's still firing before you run out of energy, and that should help you shave a couple seconds off your time. If all else fails, just use /admin mode.

13. SSJMichael29

SSJMichael29 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My character isnt able to step on the pressure plate to open the door on dash course.