1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Dirt Colour Options?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Mecharian, Jul 22, 2016.

?

Which system do you prefer?

1. One unified dirt colour. (Current System)

2. Multiple dirt colours. (Old System)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mecharian

Mecharian Space Hobo

Hi Chucklefish,

Firstly, I congratulate you on your Starbound 1.0 Launch.
    Among my new adventures however I discovered that the release version of Starbound features a system for compiling all dirt blocks into one colour upon being picked up. Before I continue, I understand you decided to add this feature based on feedback regarding the effect the system would have on inventory space.

As seen with this post from 2013: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/coloured-blocks.30493/

However, I feel I'm well within my right to point out that the break between those votes was merely 2 votes.

(238 voted to keep a system where each block has a separate inventory slot, Whilst 240 voted for what appears to be this current system. I also noticed that the percent doesn't actually add up correctly on that poll.)

You added a system where two clear ideals stand within the community, I as a builder (Amongst many others) preferred having distinctly coloured blocks for each planet I was building on, It made sense to me that I could "terraform" each planet as a separate entity without the necessity to completely flatten and cover up the worlds natural colours with base brown/tan.

Ultimately I feel we "The Players" should be free to dictate which system we use for our own purposes, It's understandable that many (Almost 50%) of our community wants this new system, but not all of us do, and so I'd like to propose and ask that perhaps something could be implemented to allow servers (Or Singleplayer Games) to control which system gets used.

(Or something else entirely toward the same end, allowing us the opportunity to go back to the system we wanted.)

Before concluding my feedback on Dirt I'd like to also link back to a couple of other threads which relate to the issue raised:

"Bug Report" June 11th 2016, http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/purple-dirt-dropping-brown-dirt.116101/

"Quick Question" July 15th 2016, http://community.playstarbound.com/...new-dirt-problems-in-nightly-be-fixed.117708/

Hopefully you can find some way of being able to appease everyone, Because we really do want to love your game!

Thank you for taking the time to read, Any additional comments are appreciated.

Axe Garian, Zlyvr, Venom and 2 others like this.
  2. LuckyRare

LuckyRare Phantasmal Quasar

You can now change the dirt colors using the Paint tool. Along with just about every block now. Only exceptions are the items themselves, like containers, furniture...building blocks should all be able to be painted.

Shadox2.0 and Zinerith like this.
  3. Mecharian

Mecharian Space Hobo

To my knowledge that doesn't feature the same variety of colours that actually spawn on worlds.

Addition: Rather than painting It'd be much easier when (For Example) building on a world with purple dirt to simply dig up and use THAT purple dirt, rather than going through the whole process of digging up dirt, placing brown/tan blocks and painting them as close a colour as I can get to match.

Axe Garian, Zlyvr, Belus and 2 others like this.
  4. LuckyRare

I never liked having 20 stacks of 30-90 blocks taking up space, not enough to use them anywhere, too much to just throw away. I've yet to actually find a planet with dirt that doesn't have a color you can paint, if you can find me an example, I might be more inclined to agree that it needs changing.

5. Mecharian

Mecharian Space Hobo

I think you're missing the point of my thread, I'm not trying to force my opinion on others or say "This is how this should be because reasons..." I am asking quite simply for us to be given the option to choose which system we want (I own a Server, And I don't like this system, I don't feel it's too much to ask to be given an option?)

I agree that this is a good thing for managing our inventory, however is that example you've given really such a problem that throwing out a few blocks wouldn't fix?

Axe Garian, SpeedXaaa, Venom and 2 others like this.
  6. Rose756

Rose756 Guest

Yeah, this is gonna make terraforming a pain. Please give us this option or maybe allow it in /admin mode.

7. LuckyRare

Perhaps an easier to manage option would be to UNLOCK that dirt's color for your Paint tool, so you never have to strip mine a planet you actually like to have the dirt of the color you need. That way, you can gather any dirt, anywhere and not worry that you won't be able to get that nice color.

8. Mariketta

Mariketta Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not being able to terraform a planet properly is heartbreaking, I'm on a planet with lovely pale green dirt but if I want to build there and fill in a cave nearby or build up a hill or simply change a slope I am adding brown mismatched and frankly ugly dirt.

Builds I have done in the past are now impossible, if I make a mistake when changing the land around a build I'm screwed. If I want the land to match properly I have to level and rebuild all of the ground first or use the paint tool to make it one of like six saturated and inevitably STILL mismatched colors.

Its just awful I really am heartbroken, why was it decided that giving builders less to work with and no reasonable options was ok?

I was really excited for launch but now here I am waiting for a modder to fix something so basic I truly cannot understand why it was done this way.

9. Mecharian

Mecharian Space Hobo

I'd be more than pleased with such a function, Allowing us to practically store the colours. (Perhaps with the ability for us to NAME the colours we save. As a builder I'd love that.)

Tools allowing creativity to continue are all I'm asking for. Extra steps such as "Collecting" those colours wouldn't be a problem!

I'd approve of such a compromise, let us hope Chucklefish hear us.

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. LuckyRare

I'd love for an option to mix them as well, select the base color and add a hue? Or just mix them for more colors. Or have the option to paint foreground and background objects separately (use another button to switch between colors. @.@

Axe Garian and Mecharian like this.
  11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You needed a "Other... (Explain)" option on your vote.

Therefore, I can't vote one way or the other.

I want there to be one unified dirt in my inventory, BUT, I would like CF to come up with a system where if you place dirt blocks, if the dirt blocks you are placing is touching dirt blocks that are another color, the ones you are placing take on the color of the ones that are already there.

Mythril-Jelly and Axe Garian like this.
  12. LuckyRare

But what if you want the dirt to stay a specific color? What if you want to use different colored dirt to make a painting or something, then dirt changing color against your will would suck.

Axe Garian, Akre and Pingeh like this.
  13. Mecharian

Mecharian Space Hobo

I agree with LuckyRare on that! Sometimes for creativity sake I would want two different colours of dirt, perhaps for some kind of pattern or decoration.

So far, I am rooting for Chucklefish to read our thoughts on a "Save Colour" option!

Axe Garian and Solzucht like this.
  14. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

This is one of the VANISHINGLY rare instances where I think the Koala build did it better, by simply having like 16-ish different colors of dirt in varying shades. So if you hit a planet with medium-blue dirt, then another planet with medium-blue dirt, they were the SAME dirt and stacked. This also applied to sand, magmarock, obsidian...

I don't mind different colors of dirt in my inventory provided they are distinctly different shades which stack properly. This new system may be very, very troublesome, as I NEED to flatten a major chunk of landscape for my intended build, plus I'll be doing a lot of digging tunnels, and I don't want to have to pray I can paint the dirt into a shade that might match the planet that has the right combo of biomes and plant life and etc that I want to call home.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also the vote options are kind of awful so I didn't vote. Neither really reflects my generally-preferred option.

...oh. Oh man. 16 different dirt blocks in different colors, like the Koalas... and all of them paintable. But painting them gets you different shades depending on the base color. So like if you paint a tan dirt block green, it'll be lighter than the shade of green you'd get from painting a dark blue dirt block, or maybe a more yellow-green. That way you can do shading effects or simple gradual color changes from one dirt color to another.

Axe Garian, Plex_Director and Pingeh like this.
  15. Solzucht

Solzucht Void-Bound Voyager

Dirt blocks would not needed to be paintable with the paint tool, if u simply could use a machine for that.
    What i mean, u take a stack of dirt and can choose from the colour you may want to create (like pixelbuilding, any crafting, but with dirt to coloured dirt)
    That would be actually something modders could do i think.
    If CF doesnt want to change the system as it is, as it may causes bugs, that could be a solution. Just have to get a modder which does that.

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

No, I like paintable. I like being able to change a block's color on a whim.

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Solzucht

Solzucht Void-Bound Voyager

true, but the possibility that the developers change the paint tool to contain about 16~100 colours seems to me...well it has a low chance.

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Rather then reverting Dirt to the way it was, i wish they added functionality to the paint tool where you can set the RGB value and a sample color tool (so that you can sample the color of a world and paint all the dirt you place the same way).

That said, i know it would require a huge rework since many of their blocks simply have another texture for different colors instead of doing anything with data values, but in my humble opinion it would be worth it.

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. LuckyRare

I've love to have the option to just copy a color, not just of blocks either, I'd love to re-paint all my furniture too, to better match my house.

Axe Garian and BloodyRain2k like this.
  20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I... wasn't asking for that? Just the normal range per block we've had forever will be fine.

Well, by "many" I assume you mean "all"...

But I think the issue might be one of memory there. I'm not a coder, but I think simply referencing a PNG and pulling from that is probably gonna be less intensive than having the comp calculate "okay how to shade this based on this one RGB value" for... every tile on the planet.

Also I think dyeing furniture would be awesome, but probably best done in the same way we dye armor rather than with the paint tool.

Axe Garian likes this.