Dev Blog Starbound on Steam Workshop!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 21, 2016.

1. So... I dunno if you've heard, but Starbound will launch tomorrow at 10am PST / 6pm GMT for PC, Mac, and Linux/SteamOS!

[​IMG]

... also, it'll have Steam Workshop support! While our mod repository on the forums has done the job of providing a place for Starbound mods, it's not super efficient or user-friendly if you're not already familiar with mod installation, and also requires a forum account.

[​IMG]

From the start menu, you'll be able to view which mods you've currently got installed and browse the Workshop via the Steam overlay!

We're super excited about this, and hope the ease of use will help to demystify the process of downloading and managing your mods, and even encourage more people to make them. :)

See you tomorrow!

<3

2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

This is most excellent news for modders like me!
    Dlisq.gif
    Even the Dlisq are jumping for joy!

3. Eric MORAND

Eric MORAND Space Hobo

Do we need to install mods on both server and client?

4. mitzSBnovakid

mitzSBnovakid Title Not Found

*cries of joy* thank you, for releasing at a time for an excuse to stay home from my darn day camp.
    i am NOT going to be busy then.
    and im probably gonna yell at my brother to come boost the hype train in my family, by heading over to my house.
    steam party, anyone?

5. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Oh boy! I can't wait to see all the people who reupload mods from our community to the new workshop!

6. BunnyMan

BunnyMan Subatomic Cosmonaut

The server runs from the same mod folder as the client. So subing to one from the steam workshop would also make the mod available to the server.

7. Kane_HUN

Kane_HUN Aquatic Astronaut

One cannot express himself with words about how awesome your news is!

8. Vith

Vith Cosmic Narwhal

Astrih Konnash and Aeryc like this.
  9. MetaphorTheGreat

MetaphorTheGreat Tentacle Wrangler

It's finally here, performing for you.
    If you know the words you can join in too.

Hel and Kawa like this.
  10. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's really neat. But has the amount of puppies been improved by over 200%?

11. gbreuil1

gbreuil1 Void-Bound Voyager

It's time to choose guys...get a real life and love the world...OR LOVE THE SPACE AND MORE HYYYYYPE
    P.S: Why we have to wait at 7:00PM or more in Europe ? I know it's a global world release but it's annoying when i need to eat and can't play at Starbound :nuruconfused:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Astrih Konnash and Aeryc like this.
  12. SilverI3ullet

SilverI3ullet Void-Bound Voyager

I think Eric's asking about if my server adds a mod, will my friends clients automatically install the mods the server is running? or will they have to go install those mods themselves manually in order to play on my server?

13. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

This isn't going to replace the mod forums is it? Because personally, I kinda like how they're set up here.

lordbociek likes this.
  14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

<v6> Mods are still available on the official mod repo
    <Silverfeelin> I know, but what new player is going to go /there/ instead of checking the workshop? x)

Oberic and Xylia like this.
  15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Question: How easy is it for modders to upload/update their mods on Steam Workshop?

Some modders like to use GitHub because of how easy it is, and after learning how to update with Git Bash, I like how easy it is to download from GH but yet... Steam Workshop would be nice too, as Steam would handle the updates automatically.

But, if the main mod author that I work with doesn't bother with Workshop because they use GitHub then... Workshop is kinda 'meh' for me. Not saying I think it is bad, but just disappointed that I might not even end up using Workshop as much as I would have otherwise, lol.

Ah well.

Just Curious.
    --- Post updated ---
    ^^
    This.

That, and I think once they SEE Steam Workshop for the first time, they'll think it is set up better and easier to use. Far, far easier to use.

16. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Nice, I might be more willing to use mods now if they are more user friendly. While the game supported mods I heard updates (at least pre-1.0 anyway which is fair but still) break literally everything every single time so I kinda just been avoiding it. So yea the user friendliness of it will help. Kinda hoping you can enable/disable mods easily between characters as well though.

17. Brekke K'ktus

Brekke K'ktus Void-Bound Voyager

WHYYYYYYY SO LATE IN THE DAY! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    My skin itches from the anticipation. Why such torture, WHYYYYYYY!

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Eh, until/unless they give us an option to give each character their own universe, I doubt it.

Any mod that modifies the Universe and Planets found therein is probably going to break if you accidentally cross an area of the universe another character has been to with different mods than your current character.

19. I dono how you can say mods brake things, I mean unless you really have no idea what your doing. I ran a server with like 20 mods, and it worked fine. Although the majority of people couldn't figure out how to get into the game, which is prolly where you are getting that idea from. If you are joining servers though, steam or forums, if you don't do it right it still isn't gonna work. If your thinking that if a server is modded, and you just click a button and bam its all done for you, that is not how it works. You got to install the same mods the server has, for every server you join. You also have to delete the mods from the last server. If you are playing by your self though, it doesn't really matter.

I wish they personally added a thing that instant bans people, who do not have the right mods to stop the cheating, but hey, that prolly wont ever happen.

20. Volchonok

Volchonok Void-Bound Voyager

Will these work for multiplayer? I totally need bees. Bees!