1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Matter Manipulator Manipulator 2.1

Change size & toggle liquid collection

1. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

v6ooo submitted a new mod:

Matter Manipulator Manipulator - Manipulate your Matter Manipulator

Read more about this mod...

2. darkmega

darkmega Phantasmal Quasar

Now this is a mod that I wished existed sooner. Good job!

But, would you be able to possibly factor in a way to detect the size of focus you're currently using and cause it to break faster with a small focus as opposed to a wider break focus? and thus making it such that each upgrade corresponds to how strong the manipulator has to be to keep up to normal game's break speed at the corresponding break size. but if you use a smaller break size with a higher break speed upgrade level you'd get an overall faster break speed.

So if you use second level up of break speed with the second level up of break area, you'd get the same speed as it is now normally in the game, but if you turn down the radius to what it was at level 1 upgrade and you've got level 2's break speed, the break speed would then be focused to be faster.

could that be possible to implement?

3. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

@darkmega sounds totally possible. I'm working on another mod right now but I'll totally give it a look after.

4. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

Wow! I just tested this mod out and am extremely excited! This will become a staple in my mods folder as of now.
    Simply beautiful as is.

I don't know as to how flexible the UI and keybinding is moddingwise, but a hotkey to toggle through the M.M.'s sizes would be the cherry on the cake. ;-)

v6000! Thanks for this! :-D

5. darkmega

My dream of that being implemented even via mods possibly coming true? Thank the Cultivator. =D

6. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

Does this sound fair?

Code:
    math.abs( ( ( currentSize / maxSize ) -1 ) / 1.6 ) )
    --[[
    Size: 1    BonusMult: 0.5     tileDamage: 7.2
    Size: 2    BonusMult: 0.37    tileDamage: 6.576
    Size: 3    BonusMult: 0.25    tileDamage: 6.0
    Size: 4    BonusMult: 0.12    tileDamage: 5.376
    Size: 5    BonusMult: 0.0     tileDamage: 4.8
    --]]

@Plex_Director, pretty sure keybinds are hardcoded and even if they weren't the scripts aren't loaded until you open the UI so it would require a complete rewrite. Techs might be possible but I don't know, seems kinda hackish ;)

--- edit ---
    For comparison, the base power of the M.M. is 1.2, and is increased by 1.2 tileDamage every upgrade up to a maximum of 4.8
    The bonus size multiplier is around 0.6 (depends on rounding) or half of a power upgrade when max upgraded.
    I'd also prefer to raise the bonus multiplier at a later point rather than lowering it

--- edit ---
    I might just give it a flat 0.6 rate..

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  7. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

8. darkmega

I'll have to give it a whirl, but for balance, it sounds fair. Those values are for a maximum power manipulator, right? a flat amount sounds fair. or possibly a smaller amount, only multiplied by the power level? so like 0.2 at level 1, 0.4, 0.6 then 0.8 (or 0.3 increments? I dunno) additions per value lower, but the amount of additions is related to the amount of times you can shrink the beam. So:

Higher beam power in general makes for stronger beam as it's highest focus, and a larger focus area that the beam can handle the more increments of focus increases you get as you reduce the beams focus laser down again. if you get me. So you'd end up with retardedly good stuff like:

5x5: 4.8 (+0 max focus for standard power)
    4x4: 5.6 (+0.8 focus power [0.2x4 which is the power of the manipulators power level])
    3x3: 7.4 (+1.6 focus power for 2 increments and so on)
    2x2: 8.2
    1x1: 9

which eventually focuses the beam right down from a highly powered lens results in almost twice as much power cause so much break spread is focused right down into a single block.

but if you maxed power, and only had default 2x2, when shrunk down to 1x1 you'd only get:

2x2: 4.8 (max)
    1x1 5.6 (+0.8 for one and only increment your manipulator can support)

Clear as sludge? :p

9. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

I still need to think about what I want to go with but I will most likely increase the bonus.

As i said in my edit I am considering doing just flat rates. Each step could just be a flat bonus of, say 1.2.

(m-s)*1.2

1x1: 9.6 (+4.8 | 100%)
    2x2: 8.4 (+3.6 | 75%)
    3x3: 7.2 (+2.4 | 50%)
    4x4: 6.0 (+1.2 | 25%)
    5x5: 4.8 (+0.0 | 0%)

But I have also considered the amount of blocks you sacrificed to downgrade, e.g. 5x5 is 25 blocks and 1x1 is just 1.

(m*m-s*s)*p/24

1x1: 9.6 (+4.8 | 100%)
    2x2: 9.0 (+4.2 | 88%)
    3x3: 8.0 (+3.2 | 67%)
    4x4: 6.6 (+1.8 | 38%)
    5x5: 4.8 (+0.0 | 0%)

1x1: 6.4 (+1.6 | 33%)
    2x2: 5.8 (+1.0 | 21%)
    3x3: 4.8 (+0.0 | 0%)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  10. darkmega

The amount sacrificed to downgrade was also something I was thinking of, but couldn't quite maths so went with something easier for myself. but i think you've probably got a winner there. :)

11. Zoomah

Zoomah Big Damn Hero

Hiya...

first:
    great mod again

second:
    after seeing your hooking i went one step further and also hooked into the upgrade process as well, so reopening isn't needed...
    that looks like that now.

Code:
    local hookedInit = init
    function init()
        hookedInit()
        mmmInit()
    end

function mmmInit()
        local beamaxe = player.essentialItem("beamaxe")
        local liquid = false
        local upgrades = {}
        if beamaxe and beamaxe.parameters then
            currentSize = beamaxe.parameters.blockRadius or 2
            widget.setChecked("liquidCheckbox", beamaxe.parameters.canCollectLiquid)
            collectLiquid = beamaxe.parameters.canCollectLiquid or false
            if beamaxe.parameters.upgrades then
                for _,name in pairs(beamaxe.parameters.upgrades) do
                    upgrades[name] = true
                end
                local i = 1
                while upgrades["size"..i] do
                    maxSize = 2+i
                    i = i + 1
                end
                local i = 1
                while upgrades["power"..i] do
                    basePower = powerUpgrades[i]
                    i = i + 1
                end
                giveNewManipulator()
                liquid = upgrades.liquidcollection or false
            end
        end
        widget.setButtonEnabled("tbSpinCount", false)
        widget.setButtonEnabled("liquidCheckbox", liquid)
        widget.setFontColor("liquidLabel", liquid and "#FFFFFF" or "#888888")
        widget.setButtonEnabled("liquidCheckbox", liquid)
        widget.setText("tbSpinCount", currentSize)
        updateSpinnerButtons()
    end

local hookedPerformUpgrade = performUpgrade
    function performUpgrade(widgetName, widgetData)
        hookedPerformUpgrade(widgetName, widgetData)
        mmmInit()
    end

Not sure if there is some additional update needed... but i think that should catch it. Use it if you like ;)

12. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

At work atm, didn't read too much but I need to support manipulated ui as well.
    I might just make 2 separate parts of the mod instead.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

13. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

14. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

15. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

I've really enjoyed using this. It's a very smart idea that lends some more depth in customizing your Matter Manipulator. Unfortunately, it's not very compatible with Niran's Enhanced Matter Manipulator mod. If you ever feel up to tackling a compatible version, I'd love to play with these fun features again.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  16. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

greenRAM likes this.
  17. HaxorusXD

HaxorusXD Aquatic Astronaut

First of all, I LOVE this mod, thank you for making it and keep it updated!

I'm here because I have a suggestion to share, here it goes:
    Sometimes when I'm building, for any reason I want to remove just a line of blocks (either vertical or horizontal) without removing the nearby blocks/objects, and then I'm forced to destroy them one by one, and depending of the type of block it may be very tedious.
    My suggestion is to add an option to switch between square mining, vertical mining or horizontal mining, just like this:

[​IMG]

Those modes will result into this:

[​IMG]

And the size could be altered with the actual "size" option, so if you have the "size" set to 4 and you switch into horizontal mining, you'll mine an horizontal line of 4 blocks

18. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

The matter manipulator is pretty much hard-coded so that is not possible.

19. HaxorusXD

HaxorusXD Aquatic Astronaut

Oh okay, thank you for replying

20. The_Wanderer

The_Wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've encountered a bug with this mod where, seemingly at random, I lose the ability to mine in anything but the default 2X2 mining square and any power upgrades I've gotten are nullified as if I never got them. If I do try and up the mining area above 2X2 blocks just will not break blocks at all (even soft blocks like dirt or wood), and when I go back down the the 2X2 area it takes around 20-30 seconds before I can mine anything again.

This has happened to me on two separate characters and I don't know if it can be undon, though I think it could be fixed by getting another upgrade but I haven't tested that theory yet.

Here's a link to my .log file from when the bug happened to me the second time, it is pretty long though because I was playing for awhile
    http://pastebin.com/dWfT9P2w
    I first noticed the bug after I got to a glitch castle (line 417 of the log), but the actual bug might've occurred before that and I just didn't notice.