WIP Events Matter: The Mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by juicyslew, Jul 12, 2016.

?

What would you like me to focus on? (See focuses / aspects of mod below)

1. Width

2. Depth

3. Substance

4. Width/Depth

5. Depth/Substance

6. Width/Substance

7. Balance of All

8. Whatever works

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. juicyslew

juicyslew Master Chief

Old Post: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/events-matter-the-mod.117481/#post-2947729

Events Matter: The Mod

Overview
    This SMAPI mod would significantly decrease the effect of gift giving, and change the game to allow for events that are the basis for creating relationships, rather than somewhat mindless gift giving and wiki searching.

Important Note
    I am going to try to remake the events system of the game.
    There are many limitations and annoyances with the current system. There are especially limitations when it comes to making event forks and more intricate choices, even though it should be possible to allow such events code wise. After learning about dotPeek (a program that allows viewing of the internal Stardew Valley code) and Entoarox talking to me about how very possible it would be to make such a system, I am considering making one to allow for much more diverse and intricate event systems and dialogue. Remaking this system definitely isn't a trivial task, especially for me :)P), but it should be possible and will allow for a better mod in the end, one that would make for an easier event system with more functionality while having fewer, and less specific functions. This would make it easier for other people to use my mod to make their own events.

TL;DR: I'm going to try to make a new events system, for ease of use and better functionality.

Current Goals

In this section, the goals are highlighted Incomplete, In progress, Complete, or Abandoned
    Get map adding working

Get event adding working
    Edit maps to give Dominic a home
    Starting some events
    Get NPC adding working
    Fix up event decoding document and share it with the community.
    Making more sprites than just walking (Art help needed)

Further Dominic's story and events
    Fix characters not using warps of new maps automatically to complete schedules
    Add events to other characters
    Make the portraits of Dominic (Art help needed)

The two spoilers are both one list. Idk how to fix it, everytime i try to delete the spoiler line it just comes back..

Aspects of the Project (Information for the Poll)

Width

This focus covers adding new characters and focusing on making Stardew Valley generally bigger, probably with the addition of some new houses and smaller maps that can be walked around in. Width makes the game generally larger and gives the town a bit of a fuller feel to it, while still having the same level of depth in character as the current ones do.
    • Making new characters
    • Making new living abodes
    • Possibly making new festivals and lengthening seasons

Depth

This focus covers making more events per character allowing more exploration of who they are and their personas. Depth makes the game more re-playable, because there would be enough events that it would be hard to see them all in one play through.
    • More events
    • Putting emphasis on events' and behavior's effect on relationships
    • Diminishing the effect of gifts

Substance

This is how meaty the events are, or how interesting and exploratory they are. With this focus, I would add more events that have more information and more emotion than with depth or width, but I wouldn't add nearly as many.
    • Adding more animations and sprites for more intricate events and schedules
    • Adding more maps for more exploration of story and traveling outside of Stardew Valley
    • Making NPCs more dynamic.

Previous Posts

First Post

Hello Stardew Valley Modding community!!!

I have an aspiration to make a realism mod for Stardew Valley that overhauls the systems of the game and makes a much harder, more realistic version of the game. However, I can't really do that with the current mod support for the game and the current modding tools. Instead I came up with a smaller but still major change to the game:

Events Matter: The Mod.

This SMAPI mod would significantly decrease the effect of gift giving, and change the game to allow for events that are the basis for creating relationships, rather than somewhat mindless gift giving and wiki searching.

I think of the Stardew Valley events, dialogue and NPC system through three major aspects:

Width

This focus covers adding new characters and focusing on making Stardew Valley generally bigger, probably with the addition of some new houses and smaller maps that can be walked around in. Width makes the game generally larger and gives the town a bit of a fuller feel to it, while still having the same level of depth in character as the current ones do.
    • Making new characters
    • Making new living abodes
    • Possibly making new festivals and lengthening seasons

Depth

This focus covers making more events per character allowing more exploration of who they are and their personas. Depth makes the game more re-playable, because there would be enough events that it would be hard to see them all in one play through.
    • More events
    • Putting emphasis on events' and behavior's effect on relationships
    • Diminishing the effect of gifts

Substance

This is how meaty the events are, or how interesting and exploratory they are. With this focus, I would add more events that have more information and more emotion than with depth or width, but I wouldn't add nearly as many.
    • Adding more animations and sprites for more intricate events and schedules
    • Adding more maps for more exploration of story and traveling outside of Stardew Valley
    • Making NPCs more dynamic.

In the end I want to flesh out as much of all of these aspects of this mod as I can, however I wish to focus on what the community wishes me to.

Please Comment below if a mod like this would interest you, or moreover how far it would interest you. In addition, I don't need any help with this mod yet. However, once I start working on it more, I might need help with designing a character as I am not the most skilled artist. If you are interested in helping me with this eventually just message me. If I'm being slow to respond that probably means I'm either out of town or no longer working on this mod.

I have no idea what kind of reception this idea will get, nor whether it is completely possible, nor have I ever really done anything like this before. So, if I make stupid mistakes or do something you don't like, please make it known to me and message me.

Please answer the polls if you can and...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR READING! :DD

Second Post

To test out this event style, I have made one of 3 incoming New Characters

New Character:

"Woody, Man of the Woods" (Dominic) (Spoiler just contains pictures of the new character)

Here is "Woody" (Dominic)
    Woody1.png

The townspeople call him the "Man of the Woods"
    Woody2.png

What will he do? What is he doing right now? Who knows?!
    Woody3.png

Awe, looks like he's on his way out.
    Woody4.png

See y'all soon with more updates!

Third Post

New maps
    Cliff and Woody's Cave (Dominic's Cave)

Just going for a stroll in the forest
    Update2_1.png

Oh? The bridge is fixed! I better go check out whats on the other side!
    Update2_2.png

Hmm, this place looks familiar!
    Update2_3.png

Ah yes this is the location for the Flower Dance isn't it!
    Update2_4.png

Look at all these trees!!
    Update2_5.png

Oh, what is that up there?? A little hole in the rock?!
    Update2_6.png

It's Woody's Cave!! (Dominic's Cave)
    Update2_7.png

He doesn't look very cozy in this barren cave, but that's gonna change soon :D

New Events
    Introduction (can't really show this because I dont have a screen recorder downloaded atm)

Goals for Next Update
    Further "Woody"s (Dominic's) story and events
    Fix Characters not using warps of new maps automatically to complete schedules
    Add Events to other characters.
    Fix up event decoding document and share it with the community.

Fourth Post (Newest)

No Media for this update :c

News
    - CHANGED "WOODY"S NAME TO DOMINIC.
    -Successfully have Dominic walking around, can now create a schedule for him allowing him to walk to custom maps (Mostly Entoarox's work)
    -Considering taking on a huge coding endeavor and making a rehaul to the game's event system in general.

New Events
    Maru + Sebastian Event - Arguing about chores and showing a lack of understanding of each other's lives and a general disconnect.

More events planned to further the story of the siblings.

OTHER POSTS
    Events Coding Dictionary - a collection of event commands and what they do:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/event-commands-dictionary.117783/

If you want to help with art, please comment or pm me
    If you have modding suggestions, please comment or pm me
    --->IF YOU HAVE EVENT IDEAS FOR CHARACTERS, PLEASE COMMENT OR PM ME<---

you can also suggest multiple events that string together
    I can almost definitely take your word-based event ideas and turn them into commands and maps and add it to the mod. This will help me with making this mod the best it can be and expand it faster.
    (Don't limit yourself when suggesting events!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    • Jack333

Jack333 Void-Bound Voyager

This concept is really interesting,as I would love this game to become bigger with more characters,areas and cutscenes.
      And,what else to say ? Good luck making this mod.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
      • juicyslew

juicyslew Master Chief

Update: Created New map for Woody to live in. Will put up pictures soon
        --- Post updated ---
        Update:
        - New map is working, though I can't get Woody to walk out of it (he's stuck in his cave)
        - Events are working.
        I have an event working for Woody, and the means to create many many more for him and for all the other NPCs. Additionally, I have been compiling a long list (10pgs now, more in the future) of all the event commands and how they work. I have pretty good understanding of how to do forks and location changes and all matter of events. Because of this, while Schedules aren't working for Woody, Maps and Events are working to the point that, as long as the artistic talent is available, basically any map or event can be made. (I think)

- Also Pictures

lannihamm and Rosalie like this.
        • lannihamm

lannihamm Pangalactic Porcupine

Can't wait to see how this turns out, especially the depth portion. It always bothered me how Sebastian & Maru never really seem to develop any kind of brother/sister bond, even though they both comment about one another.

juicyslew likes this.
          • juicyslew

juicyslew Master Chief

That's a good idea! I'm gonna make an events idea list and add it! If you have any more event ideas, general or specific, please comment more!!!

• lannihamm

Oh well in that case this all immediately come to mind:

• Maru & Penny's friendship should have some sort of event(s), considering that they meet up pretty consistently throughout the seasons (whether in town or at Maru's house). I could see Penny talking about the fights she has with her mom with Maru, or being invited over for dinner with Maru's family (you know, since Penny craves that sort of family life -- additionally, she has a copy of The Solarian Chronicles in her room, so she'd have something to talk about with Sebastian).
              • Sebastian & Demetrius's relationship should be expanded as well -- they never directly comment on each other, but I find it hard to believe that a scientist who buys books about how to be a good stepfather would never actually try to interact with his stepson.
              • I'd like to have some backstory behind Robin's first husband (nothing is known about him, but if I had to guess, the "Maximizing Your Second Marriage" book in her room is hinting that she's a divorcee rather than a widow). When she was married to him, she & Sebastian obviously must not have lived in Stardew Valley yet (considering that the house she built "from the ground up" was drafted to include space for both Maru & Sebastian, as well as Demetrius's laboratory) -- maybe they lived in a city, & that's partially why Sebastian is so bent on going to live in one.
              • Haley & Emily seem to get along better the higher Haley's relationship with you is (no doubt due to her personality change; she'll comment something like "I spent a few hours talking to my sister last night. It was actually kind of nice."), not to mention that they both seem very into fashion, so an event for the two of them would be nice.
              • I'd also like to see Haley being a bit more interactive with the community at higher relationship levels:
                • One possible event might be Haley working up the nerve to ask Sam if he'd be okay with her photographing him while he skateboards (to practice shooting targets in motion), with him eventually asking her if she'd be willing to photograph his band so they can finish making/ordering the merchandise they sell during their concert.
                • Another might be between her & Leah, seeing as she photographs near Leah's cottage anyway -- after showing some of her prints to Leah, Leah could ask to purchase some so she can use them as references during rainy days.
                • A third option could be with Evelyn -- after lamenting that she can't enjoy the flowerbeds she works on year-round, Haley could offer to photograph them for her so she can hang them in her house.
              • I'm not sure how it would fit into his current schedule (nor am I sure what his schedule will be changed to once the 1.1 update comes out & he becomes a marriage candidate), but I want to see Shane & Jas interacting. He obviously takes providing for Jas very seriously (somebody is buying all those toys) & she's grateful for him adopting her. so I want to actually see all that. I'd also like to see what Marnie & Jas's relationship looks like, Jas now being her great niece & all.
              • Considering how proactive Gus is shown to be when it comes to the community (thinking specifically of when he gives the zucchini fritters to Linus), I was kind of surprised that there wasn't a scene where he chides Pam for all her drinking & the impact it has on her daughter. A friendship between Penny & Gus would also fit well -- as Penny has lived in Stardew Valley her entire life, it isn't unbelievable to think that when she was younger, Gus might send Pam home with some food for her out of concern. It could even go as far as him showing her a thing or two to improve her cooking.
              • I also wanted to see more development between Kent & his sons, particularly Sam. Vincent & Sam spend a considerable amount of their dialogue talking about their father, but besides Kent taking Vincent out to the backyard for a few hours in the winter, you don't see any father/son development, which is disappointing. A scene where Vincent is showing Kent drawings he made for him while he was overseas or Kent reassuring Sam that he isn't disappointed in him for being focused on his band would be great.
              • After learning about Alex's father & the fact that Penny is his next door neighbor with Pam for a mother, I was also fairly surprised there wasn't some event involving them as well. In-game, Pam's sprite walks right past Alex's all the time to go the the Saloon, & I wouldn't doubt that you could probably hear Pam when she yells at Penny from Alex's house too. Despite his sometimes superficial demeanor, he did move to Stardew Valley fairly soon after his father had left him & his mom, so there's no way he wouldn't have noticed all of this & possibly tried talking to Penny. Additionally, since his character begins taking more of an interest in reading books & expanding his knowledge base as you develop your relationship with him, who better than the town tutor & bookworm to help?
              • The most disappointing thing though was the absolute lack of community center visitation & events. After all the hype of refurbishing & reopening this place, the villagers barely show up at all. I thought the whole point of rebuilding the damn thing was to bring the community closer together, but apparently not.
                • The community center is far more suitable for Penny to teach Vincent & Jas. Demetrius/Harvey swinging by once a week to help lead a science/health lesson &/or Emily helping out with some arts & crafts would also be awesome.
                • Willy should actually go & tend to the fish in the fish tank.
                • It would also be a good place for Penny & Maru to meetup & talk, as well as Elliot & Leah.
                • Holding the weekly aerobics class in the main lobby of the center makes more sense too (although I'm not sure if moving it from Pierre & Caroline's house would be possible).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
              • cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

How do you feel about a name other than Woody? It makes me think of Toy Story.
                What about Aspen, or Rowan (Gaelic for a mountain ash tree)?

Also, I messed around with RPGMaker to make some faces. They're obviously not formatted right for the game, I was just seeing what I could come up with. It's pretty limited.
                W1.png

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
                  juicyslew likes this.
                • juicyslew

juicyslew Master Chief

So currently the NPCs name is actually Dominic, I have a general story idea that I need to put in the post eventually. But because of the story I want him to not have a nature-y name. Also those portraits are damn nice!!

• cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

Ohh, okay! That sounds good. :3

Thanks! It's just RPGMaker. It's not super useful or entertaining for long though.

juicyslew likes this.
                    • juicyslew

juicyslew Master Chief

These are great ideas!! I will be taking ALL of these into consideration

cankersaur and lannihamm like this.
                      • lannihamm

thank you~ will definitely post more ideas later, but right now i'm focused on pokemon go (^o^)

juicyslew and cankersaur like this.
                        • juicyslew

juicyslew Master Chief

Update:

No Media for this update :c

News
                          - CHANGED "WOODY"S NAME TO DOMINIC.
                          -Successfully have Dominic walking around, can now create a schedule for him allowing him to walk to custom maps (Mostly Entoarox's work)
                          -Considering taking on a huge coding endeavor and making a rehaul to the game's event system in general.

New Events
                          Maru + Sebastian Event - Arguing about chores and showing a lack of understanding of each other's lives and a general disconnect.

More events planned to further the story of the siblings.

New Coding Endeavor
                          Going to attempt to create a new event System for the game, read more about it at the top of the original post.

cankersaur and lannihamm like this.
                          • Unassuming Obelisk

Unassuming Obelisk Big Damn Hero

I LOVE the Maru + Sebastian event. I wonder, would It be possible to add some more backstory relating to Sebastian's biological dad? I'm married to him, and it bugs me that he's never told me about his dad. This seems like a great mod, and I'd be happy to help if I can.

• Dyuti

Dyuti Master Chief

-Jas and Vincent event of the getting into kid shenanigans and getting chastised lightly by marnie or jodie. Basically showing more of an relationship/friendship.
                              -Kent homecoming event at the train station
                              -Your significant other getting sick (not seriously but like flu sick)
                              -Your significant other worried about your health (triggered by passing out from 2 AM cut off)
                              -More family events (with SO and kids)
                              -Maybe developing relationships between available people that aren't chosen leading to them dating.
                              -Date night with SO?

• hippothermia

hippothermia Master Chief

This sounds awesome! I've also been adding custom events for a different SMAPI mod overhauling marriage and pregnancy. Maybe we can share ideas/work together and end up with a really comprehensive mod.

Btw, are you able to successfully use animations in SMAPI? I get an error - Failed to call base method: UpdateLocation whenever I try to include an event with animations. The events work fine otherwise. The generic events code is here on github if you want to take a look.

juicyslew likes this.
                                • giosaurus

giosaurus Void-Bound Voyager

How are your projects? I'm still excited for the updates!

• lannihamm

bumping this because i'm still immensely interested in a mod of this nature