1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Question: Will the new dirt problems in nightly be fixed?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ShinyKitten07, Jul 15, 2016.

1. ShinyKitten07

ShinyKitten07 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What I mean by dirt problems is when colored dirt is mined, regular dirt comes out instead. If I accidentally destroy some blue dirt on a planet, I'll never be able to replace it with the same color. Is this not worrying?

2. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Is there some paint tool in nightly so that you could paint it blue again?

3. Cirom

Cirom Cosmic Narwhal

You can paint the dirt, but the paint tool is very limited in colour, and often does not have the natural colours of dirt, apart from the base unpainted colour.

4. ShinyKitten07

Oh, I was using that as an example, I don't need to color dirt blue. I meant that any planet that has a different dirt color than the default drops dirt colored the default color. This disallows mistakes in building to be patched up, because the dirt color of the planet is different than the dirt received, and it would look horribly mismatched

5. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Well maybe they changed it so that the dirt can stack on one stack instead of separate, and instead you use the dye tool to fix stuff up. But.. I don't knoe shidd bro.

6. Ellary

Ellary Pangalactic Porcupine

I actually loved not having tons of stacks of diff color dirts ._. i thought it was intended.

7. Cirom

Cirom Cosmic Narwhal

I like the idea of different coloured dirts not cluttering up the inventory anymore .. but it's annoying that you can't "copy" colours of already existing dirt. So if you're trying to build something on an existing planet, and mine a patch of dirt which you didn't mean to... you're unable to fix it.

Dynaflame, Bismuth, Pingeh and 3 others like this.
  8. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Pangalactic Porcupine

I believe if you paint over the differently colored dirt, and then remove the paint from it, the dirt reverts to the planet's original dirt color. At least I think it did so in Unstable. I can't test it right now, though, as I deleted my old characters and haven't enabled the paint tool on the new ones yet.

9. ShinyKitten07

Nope, that does not work. What it actually does is it changes all of the dirt painted to the default color, instead of the planet's.

Cirom likes this.
  10. Ellary

lets hope some friendly modder makes a mod for colorable dirt ^_^ or more colors in the paint tool.

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I don't get why they don't just make newly-placed dirt take on the color of the dirt it's touching to be honest.

12. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Because that takes work.

And I can't see this issue being resolved before the 1.0 release even though I specifically bring it up to Starbound devs on IRC in reference to my Radiant Worlds mod and how it is effectively broken even if it technically works because naturally colored blocks are irreplaceable...

13. Ellary

I don't think it's lack of wanting to work on chucklefish side. they have added a ton of stuff to starbound 1.0. I think this was more over looked as something that might bother players.

Tamorr likes this.
  14. ShinyKitten07

But why break something that already worked fine?

Pingeh likes this.
  15. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Because they probably got feedback from somewhere that non-stacking blocks with individual parameters were an issue.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

To be fair, I never did like having 50 of this color, 100 of that color, 80 of that color over there all of dirt filling up my inventory.

MelOzone likes this.
  17. weirdee

weirdee Big Damn Hero

I mean, the only other way they could do it is if they made dirt have one given color on any particular planet but then that would limit the art potential.

18. Fijiboy99

Fijiboy99 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I loved having that...

Pingeh likes this.
  19. ShinyKitten07

It was honestly really nice.

Pingeh likes this.
  20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'm of two minds.

On one mind, I LOVE having different dirt colors. Love it. It worked great for my greenhouse in particular, where I split out crops based on their biomes.

[​IMG]
    (Not shown: underground radioactive crops in green dirt)
    So having a broad palate of dirt colors REALLY appeals to me.

On the other, that a chunk of dirt one tiny RGB value away from another from another planet would stack in a different inventory slot was... not fun. That a barely-perceptible shade difference would clump up inventory was a bit annoying. And as someone who collects blocks in a "you never know when you might want some of this" manner, having some more Obsidian or whatever block I don't make a concerted effort to mine in large numbers in a single color was kind of a pain.

So I get wanting to fix that... but...

Having not played the unstables, if ANY dirt color becomes tan dirt in the inventory so it all stacks as a single block style regardless of original color, that's gonna be kind of... an issue when I rebuild the complex. I do a lot of underground work and terraforming (gonna need a long flat space to put the former USCM prison). What guarantee is there that if I paint the dirt (oh please let me paint the dirt, let me be able to paint every damn block in existence would that I choose) that it'd match the natural landscape of whatever world I ultimately choose to plunk down on?

Not a gamebreaker by any stretch, but... something I think they'll need to work on post-1.0.