can you donate a game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by itameio, Jul 6, 2016.

1. itameio

itameio Space Spelunker

>> "leading to the formation of one of the most positive and enthusiastic gaming communities I’ve ever seen (fans buying copies of the game for pirates being one of the more well-known examples)."

i'm gonna come out and say it, i am using a cracked version of Stardew valley, Why? not because i can't afford to buy the game, but because i can't get the game in store (or any other, since where i come from there isn't a single store that sells original games, they all sell pirated copies.) or online (because i can't get a credit card from where i am, and i can't use paypal since it doesn't support my country's local information.)

so basically i have no means of obtaining the game unless through quick cracked versions downloads.

is there anyone who is willing to donate a copy of the game for me?, it would be greatly appreciated and i would feel better about myself.

• Egypalack

Egypalack Title Not Found

Whoa bro-sis, talking about piracy on forums is prohibited and results mostly in bans and closed threads.

The game isn't sold in any stores anywhere, only online (like steam). Well you could maybe buy steam wallet code cards at stores and redeem them at steam (if that is a thing in your country)? I feel pretty bad for you and your country, but I don't think we can help you with this.

EDIT: These are the forum rules, read them before you post please.
      http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/chucklefish-forum-rules.103512/

Irediel, Exhibitioner and Borodin like this.
      • Haebaragi

Haebaragi Weight of the Sky

I've seen a couple other people before OP with the difficult-to-obtain-at-country deal. I think Venezuelans, was it?
        While I commend you for being honest about it, as Egy mentioned, it would be best to keep that on a down low.
        Perhaps there are ways to exchange currency with another player so that they can buy it for you?
        There's plenty foreign people in NA or EU that are always sending money back to their home country, so an exchange should be possible the other way around, right?

• Exhibitioner

Exhibitioner And Do the MONKEY!

Surely there must be some form of way you could obtain the game legally, where are you located?

Are you able to access Steam or any other online game distribution platform such as GoG? I know that several stores offer redeemable Steam cards which add balance directly onto your Steam wallet as has already been mentioned, this may be a work around for your case?

Also if you have friends on steam you could trade something with them, you can gift games through Steam to friends so they may do that for you in return.

• benevapwnz

benevapwnz Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if that holds true to your country, but on Brazil we can pay for it on Steam through a bank slip (or payment slip? english is not my mother tongue, so I don't know if that's the correct term) without the need of paypal or a credit card!

Exhibitioner likes this.
            • itameio

itameio Space Spelunker

i can access steam and GOG but the problem lies with the credit card. i Don't own one and currently can't obtain one.

what is that? can you explain?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2016
              • Irediel

Irediel Space Penguin Leader

itameio, where are you from?

• Exhibitioner

Where are you from and what stores do you have, do they sell Steam gift cards there?

• itameio

itameio Space Spelunker

@Exhibitioner @Irediel

i'm from Libya, all stores around here sell pirated versions of games, there isn't a single store that i know of that sells original copies, there are no laws against piracy in here and the current political situation doesn't help, i can't get a credit card since most banks don't offer them with the accounts, and steam is not very known in here, there are no stores that sell steam cards, and even if i obtained a credit card i won't be able to buy games since i have to pay three to four times it's cost because of how expensive the dollar became around here.

• Irediel

actually this problem has been around since the start
                      http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1649933
                      this guy also has the same problem as you, he is also from libya.

there's nothing much you can do really, the only option is to have somebody gift you this game.
                      that is, to find someone willing to gift to you.
                      or as exhibitioner said, trading will have a higher success.

• itameio

itameio Space Spelunker

@Irediel um, that's what i'm trying to do here, i'm asking if someone is kind enough to gift me a copy of the game.

• Irediel

why would you go through so much hassle to get the legal version, what's wrong with other cracked versions? yes, it is pirated, but if you really like the game and you have problem getting the game, no choice right?
                          seeing how this thread has been around for 2 days, i don't think you'll get much luck here either.
                          there's really not much difference except that you need to "manual patch", and that there's no steam achievements.

in any case, free bumps for this thread and hopefully you find a good samaritan who is willing to donate! :kitten2:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
                            Pingeh likes this.
                          • Exhibitioner

Maybe you could trade with your Steam friends if you have something they like, they may swap it for the game?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
                            • benevapwnz

benevapwnz Void-Bound Voyager

It's like a bill. We generate a bill through Steam where we can pay it with cash on a lottery retailer or a bank, then wait a few days for the payment to kick in and the buy is confirmed.

• Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

The rules prohibit encouraging or linking to piracy. OP is in the clear as long as they abide by that.

• Egypalack

Egypalack Title Not Found

Yes I understand, I am sorry about that.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I think they said they can't buy things off steam though so they can't trade things on steam for it.
                                    Unless you mean swap IRL stuff for stuff on steam, but that would involve steam friends living near them likely so they may be in the same boat? IDK

• itameio

itameio Space Spelunker

@Irediel l yeah, if i can't buy the game or get it anywhere i'll just play the cracked version, i have no choice after all.

@Exhibitioner l i don't use steam, i can't use most of the features since it requires you to at least buy 1 game to do most stuff, although i do have a steam account, and also i can't trade anything with anyone since i don't know anyone who has steam (and can use it) around here.

@benevapwnz l i don't think there is anything like that around me.

@Egypalack @Jonesy l seriously, i posted here and on Reddit and people ignored my whole problem and started telling me to follow the rules, if i follow the rules everywhere then i'll have no place to ask, and yes i'm not discussing pirating nor encouraging it, i'm actually trying to do the opposite, which is getting an original copy.

@ChaosAzeroth l yeah, again, i don't know anyone who has steam around here (although they exist i must admit) but i'm not gonna start a search for them.

• Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I know. And I said in my other post that you're not breaking forum rules, so don't worry.

• Exhibitioner

Maybe Bitcoin could be an effective way around this? Read this post, it's regarding your country financial state and also talks how Bitcoin may be of greater use to you than credit cards are.

If you were able to earn Bitcoin which may be a lot more accessible and easier in your case, you may be able to purchase an original copy of the game through Bitcoin markets. You can find an example of Bitcoin/game trading here where people are buying/selling games for Bitcoins.

More specifically I've found Stardew Valley available for purchase via Bitcoin on another Bitcoin store here which you could actually use to obtain the original game, given you earned the required amount of Bitcoins (BTC).

There's also a discussion based on Steam regarding your exact issue which you may be of use: here. There's a lot of methods which you could use to earn Bitcoin, an example of some can be seen here.