Dev Blog 7th July - BotW + Starbound Stream!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Hello all!

Last week's community Build of the Week theme was Artificial Biomes - in other words, make up a biome! Our favorites were simple, but really well-executed.

Here's Professor_Retro's Highlands + Cemetery!

[​IMG]

And Eonwulf's Water Geyser biome, which makes great use of wiring and water pressure!

[​IMG]

Thanks to all who participated! This week's theme is Pixel Art. Submit your build via the Starbound subreddit!

And as a reminder, tomorrow at 5pm BST (that's London time!), we'll be live on our Twitch channel with a super special Starbound stream.

See you then! <3

Attached Files:

n1t3n, zeroghost, DrVoodoo and 20 others like this.
  2. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

that geyser biome looks awesome :D

3. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Nice... I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow.

So lovely... the biomes that is.... :nuruflirt:

4. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

These biomes :O

n1t3n and jcklsldr like this.
  5. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

very cool looking avian glitch graveyard
    heh forgot to paint part of the fences near the stone coffin

i would guess that most likely that steaming water will take damage of you i guess

6. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

i wouldn't imagine you would take damage. it's a design, not a mod, so it's just normal water.

7. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Nice biomes! The first one reminds me of a Fjord.

Any chance they are added to the game?

8. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Aww, I hoped Toxic City would get featured here.

General Nuclear likes this.
  9. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

I'm the creator of it but sadly I don't think it was elligible for the current theme so I don't mind ^^;
    (it was more of a "dungeon" than a biomes).

Beside, I believe the two featured here well deserve their places. They both feels like things that one COULD encounter in the wild as truly naturally formed environment.

I'm a big fan of the highlands seaside cliffs and I'm really glad to see it featured here. I could only imagine how awesome it would be to see a lake large enough to border one of these like seen here or what an island large enough like the one here would be like to encounter on an ocean planet(which seem to be the "base" world used for that build)

10. Eonwulf

Eonwulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh wow. I know it had a few upvotes but I didn't expect it to make it here because of how simple it was.
    I made it to the big times mom. :)

11. Crixalis

Crixalis Master Chief

We need to get that Geyser biome in the game, please add it. So bootiful :O

12. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Very nice biome @Eonwulf !

That is right. And maybe variations with lava, poison, etc...

13. ContactMushroom

ContactMushroom Void-Bound Voyager

Those biomes are incredible! I love the things people build in this game.

14. Halon

Halon Phantasmal Quasar

How did he pressurize the water? Some massive off-screen tank high up?

15. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

I want the same, but with lava.

16. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

There is a critical flaw with the Geyser system; The water is finite and could not be repressurized, unless it's an ocean world.

17. Big Richard

Big Richard Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Super Special Starbound Stream"! Could it be?

18. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

At first I thought BotW was "Breath of the Wild", i.e. the new Zelda game... In retrospect, that was incredibly stupid of me for multiple reasons.
    That said, these builds are awesome! I have a feeling if a Geyser biome was actually added, it would probably use "Geyser" objects on the ground which shoot steam and stuff rather than this, but it's still very cool and impressive. With the Highlands, I especially like the outcropping cliff-faces... Let me rephrase: I hate outcropping cliffs, as they're Heck to traverse, but I love them design-wise. They add so much character to what would otherwise be another boring old hill/mountain. The way it heads straight into the ocean is neat. I would almost say get rid of the beach entirely and just have a sheer cliff drop into the water...

Editation: Will the stream be saved and uploaded somewhere after its completion? It starts at 9 AM in my timezone (PDT) and I doubt I'll be able to watch it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Masta Killa and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
  19. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

How did they make the geysers work? I mean I've made a working shower before but ya

Crixalis likes this.
  20. CostumeBlitz

CostumeBlitz Void-Bound Voyager

Hah-ha-haHah-ha-haa HHah-h-ha-haa HHah-ha-haHah-haha-haHah-ha-hah-ha-haa HHah-ha-haHah-ha

too bad none of these amazing interesting imaginative neat nice cool neat looking structures/things/biomes are naturally-spawning in the base game.

COUGH ... COUGH

are they?

If stuff like this were 60% /40% / 30% chance to happen on planets making the journey from left/right to full circle more interesting I'd love for stuff like this to be added. Eye candy, Even if its like background mountain ranges, Yellowstone.Jpeg, Something grand to look at, little things too like those geysers, so much potential to make the game better if stuff like that is being planned to be added [like natural occurrences (no wires)].

Because atm the TLDR for planet exploration is:

Walk left or Right / Slay at-least 50 mobs on your way around the planet / struggle to traverse an impassible rock formation making you switch from your musical item to a grappling hook / find a village / steal all of the things / find surface crates / make full circle / beam back to ship.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016