Race Meet the Oscura

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Unendingfear, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Should it be added to the game?

1. Yes please

450 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. With Improvements

204 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. No way

75 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Wat?

2. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

NO ELFS! OR MAGIC!

3. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The Hylotls are pretty much that conceptually.

Relten likes this.
  4. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Well, I have essentially created a functioning mod for this now.

5. AliasPseudonym

AliasPseudonym Big Damn Hero

Some more eye colours maybe? Or make the eye all one colour but a bit smaller, or with multiple colours instead of just the white and the pupil

6. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

tbh sentient vomit is better than a lot of other suggestions

409, Alkanthe, Unendingfear and 2 others like this.
  7. Unendingfear

Unendingfear Cosmic Narwhal

Sorry for the inactivity, life is busy as you all know.
    I really would like to see that.
    We actually did get some interest from the devs early on, although a few of the contributors kind of got burnt out by the long wait for 1.0. The header picture and one other were both made by artists on the team.
    I wove the mentions of rebels at various points into the overall narrative to allow for multiple possible reasons for the playable Oscura's motivations. Anything from a scientist who stumbled onto forbidden truth to a factory worker who attempted to unionize would all be possible reasons behind the need for flight. Not sure what you mean by overall description though.

8. Glitchspeare

Glitchspeare Void-Bound Voyager

This is truly amazing. It's about the best idea I've seen from the forums so far.
    We need this as a mod. It would beat just about all the other races.

9. HunterC1998

HunterC1998 Cosmos Killer

Literally the only thing I can think of that could be even close to an idea to improve is maybe throw in brightened or darker splotches on the bodies as maybe slight imperfections or deviations in the body.
    Other than that 10/10!

Alkanthe likes this.
  10. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

@Unendingfear

Honestly gotta say man, that is impressive, and kind of frightening. I had just recently came up with damn near the exact same concept without even seeing any of this and then I was told someone beat me to the punch like years ago

But hey, I gotta give credit where credit is due, Its really a great idea if more than one person came up with it almost to a T :)

11. BloodyMonarch

BloodyMonarch Astral Cartographer

I came up with a similar idea, but I was going to use any of the game's liquids and not just oil. Industrial and oily guys are more specific and fleshed out though. Either way, some form of liquid race would be sweet.

12. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Woah, why the sudden necroposts?

13. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Because discussion of the Fenerox has brought up the need for unique races, and this one really fits the bill...

14. Clint Kero

Clint Kero Void-Bound Voyager

For the ship it should be like an old mafia car you see in the movies and then progress into a giant limo

15. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

They already have a ship of their own :D
    Oscuraship.png

16. Clint Kero

Well thats coo
    Well thats looks great but maybe it should have a slightly darker color.

17. Clint Kero

That and if chucklefish was to add this it would need to have a hovercraft and mech plus a boss to fight

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  18. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Why would it need a Hoverbike and a mech? Racial vehicles have been apparently scrapped, as only what used to be Human hoverbikes are in the game, while Mechs are dummied out.

19. Clint Kero

K then but that doesnt change the fact that a boss fight is needed

Maybe like a big oscura crime boss.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  20. BloodyMonarch

BloodyMonarch Astral Cartographer

The novakid have set a precedent for not needing all those things for every race. The oscura could be implemented as just another race, like the novakid.

The only thing required is the race itself, a ship, a backstory and race specific flavor text when inspecting objects.