WIP Diverse StardewValley - Hiatus / I'm dead.

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by notsnufffie, Mar 13, 2016.

1. queenchrom

queenchrom Guest

From what I've seen this question hasn't been asked, but...
    How does this work, with the dropbox files downloading as .rar files? If I need to do something to convert them, please tell me!
    Thank you for your detailed work - I was thinking of doing something similar before i found this!

• Seajun_

Seajun_ Heliosphere

Yes, .rar files need to be opened with specific programs, such as Winrar or 7zip.

• queenchrom

queenchrom Guest

I know you're swamped, but, if possible, would a non-binary person work?

• Seajun_

Seajun_ Heliosphere

Ah, the problem with doing that was that it would require significant editing of the dialogue of multiple characters. If I remember correctly, notsnuffie offered to do the portrait is someone else handled the dialogue, and it was being worked on.

Alkanthe likes this.
          • Karalius465

Karalius465 Void-Bound Voyager

There was a thread for a nonbinary player character, but as far as I remember the plans with the text were to make Clint a women. Both may have been mentioned. It's been awhile.

Seajun_ likes this.
            • Balentay

Balentay Void-Bound Voyager

I just wanted to say that I love every edit you've made here, and before now I hadn't found portrait mods that I actually really liked!

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

Wait, did I say I love this mod? I changed my mind, I don't, it's too biased. I mean, if I keep downloading more chars as they come out (and I know I will hehe) then I'll have the opposite problem I have now! Now I have too many Caucasians but if I keep this up, the majority of my chars will be Black/Asian and the Caucasians will be an endangered species haha
                And oh men, testing this mod for the first time was funny, I couldn't recognize anyone at first, not even Penny and the main difference in her sprite was simply a hair recolor. I only knew who she was 'cause I went to the carpentry shop to build my silo xD

Also btw, why does Alex have .yaml files? All the other chars only have the .xnb files so I was wondering what those are for.

• Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

And how is Caucasians being an endangered species in Stardew Valley a problem? xD
                  I think you mean Robin, by the way, not Penny.

Berret and Taerie like this.
                  • Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

It isn't, I was just being ironic :p I gotta say, endangered Caucasians in a game is actually pretty refreshing, and that's coming from a Caucasian hehe
                    Robin, Penny... I was always bad with names and in this game even more. I memorized a few names right away, but others I kept mixing, and now even more xD

Alkanthe likes this.
                    • Acorneye

Acorneye Void-Bound Voyager

I wanted to chime in and say that I simply love these modifications to the characters. Not only does it give some color (figuratively) to the town, the portrait quality is just amazing and the art style isn't too far from the original either. I can't imagine playing the game without this mod now. Thank you very much for the work!

Taerie and Alkanthe like this.
                      • Nathracha

Nathracha Void-Bound Voyager

I really love these! They're all so well done (and I love the Elliott variation with the dreadlock cuffs, so thanks to Tofuffalo too!) and I'm so happy that there are trans characters included. I've actually been sort of half-assedly working on a nonbinary Sam mod for a while, but picking through all the dialogue takes forever.

Any chance there'll be a Caroline variant with her original hair at some point? I always loved that she complains about Abigail's unnatural hair colour... while she has bright green pigtails.

Alkanthe likes this.
                        • Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

I haven't seen notsnufffie around lately, but I could probably whip up a simple recolor for Caroline's hair.

• ThePrettiestSalad

ThePrettiestSalad Aquatic Astronaut

These are so gorgeous. I had to use the majority of them in my game. I say majority because while they are all excellently drawn, I just love Haley's sprite too much and I am using a chubby version of Abigail instead. I think the chubby version not only gives further representation to a group you'd see in real life, but she's adorable to boot.
                            I do have one request though. Could you maybe do Marnie as Hawaiian? I think she'd look wonderful.

Thank you so much for your hard work.

• tenten220

tenten220 Aquatic Astronaut

Popping in to say that I adore these! Definitely the best portrait mod I've seen so far, hands down. Art is beautiful and I'm so glad we're getting some actual diversity in the mix! Super excited at the prospect of more updates, but if not, that's okay too. I just wanted to let you know I love your work and thank you so much!

• staarfruit

staarfruit Pangalactic Porcupine

This mod is beautiful. ♥

Alkanthe likes this.
                                • nir

nir Void-Bound Voyager

My first mod to this game, and will forever hold a dear place in my heart for mods in games. Thank you so much for adding more of a diversity!

Alkanthe likes this.
                                  • RadCupcake

RadCupcake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love all of these characters! They are so well done! I am actually going to hold off on starting my new playthrough until I can use them all. I only have one critique, and that is about Elliot. For some reason, most of the Elliot portraits annoy me. I love how he looks in your retexture but it just always bugs me that he is perpetually a side profile and never facing you when you talk to him. It is probably just a weird thing that only bothers me. Anyway, I was going to suggest a Hispanic or Mixed character but it looks like you already have those lined up!

Fantastic job and I can't wait to see the rest!

Goatsly and Alkanthe like this.
                                    • Nat_009

Nat_009 Big Damn Hero

Would you do multiple versions of characters? Because Elliot as a Native American with his long hair could be cool too

• Squeakykins

Squeakykins Orbital Explorer

Ah, I literally joined this forum just to rave about how much I love these portraits! <3 I love Stardew, but the village population always felt kind of bland, so these are VAST improvements.

I'm definitely downloading Elliott, Penny, Sebastian, Maru, and Alex, and I'm waiting with bated breath for Sam! Thank you so much for these.

• CurlyFreys

CurlyFreys Void-Bound Voyager

Okay so I love this mod but it was last updated in May and the last activity from the creator was also in May.

Is there any hope this this will be updated?