Modding Discussion Is it possible to make outdated mods compatible with newest version of Starbound.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by inlinebiker, Apr 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. inlinebiker

inlinebiker Void-Bound Voyager

Haven't really found anything explaining this. I understand how to load mods for the record. As the title says, can I make a downloaded mod file that is outdated compatible with the newest version of Starbound? If so how do I do it? Is it as simple as altering some coding? Here is the mod I want and the creator has not been on in a year.

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/berserk-armor-and-weapons.1149/

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

No, it's not that simple. At least not for weapons. Armors and clothing are basically the same with minot edits while weapons have an entirely different and far more complex system now. And even if you do update the mod, you cannot distribute it unless you obtain permission from the original author (see the mods permissions settings).

lazarus78, inlinebiker and The | Suit like this.
  3. inlinebiker

inlinebiker Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for you help. I appreciate it

4. Spaceweasell

Spaceweasell Big Damn Hero

I know i'm late to this but, Is there a way to use Notepad++ For updating races?

5. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

The same runs true for race mods. Depending on how old of a race mod, there could be many edits required to make it up to date.

Notepad++ is only a text editor. Its a tool which, in example, someone could use to update the files of a mod. The same is if someone were using default Notepad.

But still, as Mackinz says, nobody can really do much about outdated mods when the author specifically says we cannot alter and redistribute their assets.

inlinebiker and lazarus78 like this.
  6. Darian Stephens

Darian Stephens Scruffy Nerf-Herder

...Unless you only provide custom code, and require the user to download the original assets, place them, and remove the original code.