Animal Whistle (or Bell)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Xamerzan, Jul 4, 2016.

?

Between the given possibilities, how do you think the Animal Whistle or Bell should be acquired?

1. Marnie sells you one.

70.6%
  2. You find it as a special treasure.

23.5%
  3. Neither. You should get it a different way.

5.9%
  1. Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

So there have been a few instances where my free-roaming animals would take awhile to return to their respective coops and barns. I know I could put down fences to ensure they don't wander too far, but I like giving them the freedom to go where they want on my farm (feels more natural).

So I propose a sort of "Animal Whistle" or "Animal Bell" which when blown or struck, will do one of two things (can only be used on the Farm): 1. All the animals outside will come to the player regardless of where they are on the Farm, or 2. the animals will return to their respective coops and barns if the time is late (aka, the time for the animals to return has come).

I think this would be a very useful addition to the game! How would you acquire this item? I think Marnie could sell us the whistle, otherwise maybe it's a hidden treasure we could find somewhere in the world. What do you guys think?

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

Feels more natural? Hahaha, I laughed, sorry xD
      I don't know a single person that has farm animals and doesn't keep them them ABSOLUTELY confined. Like, the rabbits spend their whole lives enclosured inside rabbit coops, same for the chickens. They are lucky when the person actually has some garden area for them to go outside the coops for a while but that area is always fenced. Same for the larger livestock, always fenced in (except for those people that actually take their whole herd to go graze elsewhere, but even so, taking animals to graze in non-fenced areas is not very common. People don't want to risk losing their animals :p

So, I actually consider Stardew's animals quite lucky to be able to go outside and walk around fenced areas, especially the chickens, ducks and rabbits.

As for summoning the pets, the only mod for the game I know of is to summon your horse. I don't any that does anything similar for the rest of the animals.

I would love for the game to have its own horse whistle (I'd kill for an ocarina) with whistle animation and sound effects :)

• Exhibitioner

Exhibitioner And Do the MONKEY!

I think it would be cool if you acquired this as a special sort of treasure through some sort of quest as it sounds a lot more adventurous and interesting than simply purchasing it from Marnie. :fusrodah:

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

Well, that's why I have the vote set up to see who likes what best. :)
          I don't know if one is better than the other, but all I know is that I'd like to have an item like this in-game... and soon, hopefully.

• Ladysarajane

Ladysarajane Existential Complex

Maybe have a request put in for someone to make a mod. I think some of the talented modders could make one and sell it in a shop. I would love to have like a hand or a pull bell in the yard to signal a return to barns/coops

• deukahng

deukahng Big Damn Hero

Now that you mention it, it seems strange this isn't already implemented. Farm animals that get lost or stuck at night are apparently at risk to wolves. Stubborn animals that can't find their way back to the barn or to food become unhappy. It makes total sense to have a whistle for people who don't have the resources to craft a bunch of fences.

TL;DR needs more cowbell.

• Teleute

Teleute Poptop Tamer

My ducks irl is like in game. They are let out to roam around our garden and beyond (all with neighbors' permissions.) Sometimes they roam where I can't see them. (Nobody in the neighborhood has fences.) They come when I call for them or when it gets dark, which ever comes first. Then they go inside their pen all on their own or when they see me standing by the gate of their pen waiting to pen them in for the night. So it's just like in game. Except you can't count on the hour they will be in their pen on their own.

But back to the topic, I agree that we need a whistle/bell/ call for the mount or the pet. That darn cat is always blocking her water dish from me when I want to fill it up and I always misplace my mount.

royaltrouble likes this.