Tomatoes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Addi250, Jul 1, 2016.

?

Did you notice that tomatoes are labeled as vegetables?

1. Yes!

2. No...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Addi250

Addi250 Seal Broken

Has anyone else noticed that tomatoes on Stardew are labeled as vegetables while they are actually fruit? I don't know why this bothers me so much... I don't know if it was noticed later on and was deemed not worthy of fixing because it was such a small detail and if it was changed to a fruit it would effect artisan products made from the tomato. It's would be a little odd if you could make tomato wine and tomato jelly... But I honestly don't know if either of those products actually exist (if so that's awesome :rofl:).

So yeah I was just wondering if anyone else noticed :p.

Gabaw likes this.
    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

You'll get along just fine with Demitrius. lol

Kattia, Gabaw, Irediel and 2 others like this.
      • Arthemise

Arthemise Tentacle Wrangler

If you wouldn't put it in a fruit salad, vegetable. :)

Kattia, Gabaw and Jaed like this.
        • Addi250

Addi250 Seal Broken

Lol that's an interesting way of looking at it :rofl:, It's not exactly scientific but... I like it!

Gabaw likes this.
          • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Botanically it's a fruit. Culturally it's a vegetable. Such is life.

Stand down, Demetrius. Put the slide rule away.

We usually just call tomato preserves 'Salsa'. :p

Kattia, Gabaw, Jaed and 2 others like this.
            • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

This, from Wikipedia:

Gabaw and Jaed like this.
              • ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
                Wisdom is knowing it doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

Or something like that.

rcooper113, Kattia, Wildroses and 5 others like this.
                • Addi250

Addi250 Seal Broken

That's beautiful... I think I might quote that some time :rofl:

Gabaw likes this.
                  • The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

It is one of those mistakes that has not been corrected since time memorial.
                    The Official Vegetable of New Jersey is the "Tomato".

Which only proves time and time again, "Lawmakers" think they know more than scientists.
                    Instead they know less than most 5th graders.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
                      Jaed and Gabaw like this.
                    • ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

Cucumbers are also botanical fruits but culinary vegetables but you don't see people arguing as much because they're green and have a crisp texture.

Another example where common speech and scientific speech differ but neglected to coin separate terms is "berry".

Gabaw and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                      • TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh, for the love of- alright. From the wikipedia page for vegetable, literally the first paragraph:
                        Culinarily, a tomato is a vegetable ("consumed by humans as food as part of a savory meal"). Scientifically, a tomato is a fruit, which is still a vegetable (" The original meaning of the word vegetable, still used in biology, was to describe all types of plant"). Tomatoes are vegetables no matter WHICH way you look at it.

Now please, for the love of Yoba, stop it with this "tomato isn't a vegetable, it's a fruit!" nonsense. Yes, a tomato is a fruit. It is also a vegetable, and you all just look silly and pedantic without the benefit of actually being right.

Also, the phrase is "time immemorial". Time memorial is just time.

Edit: Sorry if I come off as aggressive or rant-y, but I literally just had this discussion over whether or not Veggie Tales was inappropriately named.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
                          Gabaw likes this.
                        • ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I feel like you missed what I was saying some...

• Addi250

Addi250 Seal Broken

This is exactly what I was hoping for: a heated conversation about tomatoes!!! This is all so beautiful and everyone is learning new things :DD I is so happy :3

• The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Such an argument is meaningless.
                              That is like saying there is no point in differentiating a dog and a human. We should just stick to the generic term mammals to describe refer to all such groups.

As science evolved we learned how to properly differentiate groups - we don't need to stick to bad and outdated habits, nor promote them.

Gabaw likes this.
                              • TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

Glad I could help!
                                I... don't think so? You seem to be taking this even more seriously than me, which is saying something. If you're trying to define something in a way that is descriptive and unconfusing, then a dog is a dog, a man is a man, and a tomato is a vegetable - because that's what people will understand, and they are all true. If you're trying to define them scientifically, a dog is a dog and a mammal, a human is a human and a mammal, and a tomato is a vegetable and a fruit - because it's scientifically accurate, and those categories are not mutually exclusive.

Defining a tomato as a vegetable isn't a "bad and outdated habit," it's a modern biological fact. I feel like you might have missed the "still used in biology" bit of the section you quoted.

Gabaw likes this.
                                • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I have 13 tomato plants, mostly heirlooms, growing on our back deck. There are roughly 80 tomatoes in various early stages coming in, now. I took an informal poll of them. It follows:

We are fruit: 0
                                  We are vegetables: 0
                                  We're just fine, how are you? 80

It's up to everyone here, individually, whether to read this as a win or a loss. Personally, I prefer thinking about all the different flavors I'll get when the different varieties mature.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
                                    Irediel, ssokolow, Jaed and 2 others like this.
                                  • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I just think of it this way: If I'd put it in a salad, it's a vegetable; if I'd put it on ice cream, it's a fruit. All technicalities aside, I'll just keep it simple. ;D

MrToni300, Jaed and Gabaw like this.
                                    • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I like them as a side dish if they're really good (ie, I grew them), and if not, then on a sandwich. :)

Gabaw likes this.
                                      • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

holy s**t lol this is one of the most serious tomato threads I've seen. well maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. Did you also know? Tomato rhymes with potato, therefore it is also a potato :rofl:

Irediel and Borodin like this.
                                        • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova