1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

My first attempt at a Creative Build-Toxic City ruins

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ludovic, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

http://imgur.com/a/FU0g1

"I think this is the first time I ever attempt something like this. I don't know if this fits the current BOTW theme or new/artificial biome because I don't know if this could be categorized as more of a microdungeon than a biome. This said, I love the toxic ocean planets and looking at those ruins in the background I cannot help but feel a bit wishing there were more to encounter than those occasional scaffold structure and that we could instead discover something like the flooded and half-sunken remnants of these buildings that for now we can only ever see in the horizon of that sky. Being my first attempt at such a thing, it's likely not great, but I wanted to give it a shot nonetheless."

2. Hawklaser

Hawklaser Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really think something like this would be a great structure/mini-dungeon for toxic ocean planets. It looks pretty good and fits in with the biome quite well. Now if only the toxic ocean planets didn't almost always have acid rain happening.... or did they fix that? I tend to avoid them due to prior experiences with almost un-ending acid rain.

Ludovic likes this.
  3. Ludovic

They still have a lot of acid rain.
    However come 1.0 you can notably craft antidote items that give you a heavy resistance against toxic damages and debuff for a duration of time if recall(the item is already in the nightly anyways)

4. DarrkkFreya

DarrkkFreya Void-Bound Voyager

That build is pretty awesome! Definitely looks like something from vanilla game and better :nurunaughty:
    I never could explore toxic ocean plants though... Everything - water, air, rain - just did way too much damage. :nurusad:

Sh4dowWalker96 and Ludovic like this.
  5. Sageheart

Sageheart Subatomic Cosmonaut

Looks great, it fits perfectly on that planet.

Guest0241525 likes this.
  6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Toxic biomes really need more structures like this. I mean, the background clearly shows structures, so why cant we actually find them?

TheFloranChef likes this.
  7. Ludovic

To be fair the challenge probably comes from how big to make "dungeons/microdungeons" that could represent this(at the risks of being too small and/or not representative of the stuff in that background and/or too resources intensive to generate due to the way I heard the game might scan room to identify what can fits as a dungeon versus what cannot) versus trying to figure out a proper worldgen setting that could procedurally generate entire city blocks at the cost of these being judged too disappointingly undetailed.

This said I DO wishes there were such structures(that the game has the likes of Hylotl underwater cities make me feel it wouldn't be impossible to generate an "half sunken city ruins" on a raised ocean bottom that would allow half of the towers and building blocks to rise out of the water) the fact is I don't know what limitations they might be running into.

Like said, it's easy to display these buildings in the background.... but even the hylotl underwater cities do not have to worry about the matter of "floor height" in the water to determine if they should be half-sunken or fully so beause by default they are setup at an "altitude" where they're guaranteed to be fully sunken underwater.... a "flooded, but not fully sunken, toxic ruins" may need something like the underwater equivalent of a mountain rising from the ocean floor to raise them at an "appropriate height" where they could be shown as "half-sunken/half-exposed".

Edit: I know next to nothing from how worlds are generated mind you. So everything I'm saying is based on guesses at beast in the first place.

But ultimately I believe there can be very much a lot of "how much development time resource would this cost to make" VS "how much would it matter in the long run?" at play here that might be best left to mods at this rate.

8. lazarus78

You aren't far off.

I really need to familiarize myself with Tiled...

9. Ludovic

Certainly would like doing the same once I have more time.

If anything, having personal acquaintances(in other studios though) within the game development industry does always makes me wishes toward against making negative assumptions of game developers when it comes to anything that might seem "incomplete".

More often than not, there tend to be very legit reasons why it's so that often make it much less of a clear-cut situation than most expect them to be,

10. lazarus78

I agree. Ive been involved with modding for over 10 years now, starting with The Elder Scrolls. You really do get a sense of just how time consuming game development can be.

Sageheart and Ludovic like this.
  11. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Antidotes don't seem to protect from acid rain for some reason. :nurusad:

12. Ludovic

Ooops, sorry :(

Hmm... try to jump in poison water to see how well the antidote work? Ironically it might make it a mean to protect you from the rain(does limit travel on the surface and/or force you to make a roof shelter at least when there).

Antidotes might only work against poison debuffs in the end then... which admitedly still would protect oneself from being poisoned trying to explore Toxic Oceans' depths.

13. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Void-Bound Voyager

Great work, this should totally be added to the base game.

14. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Phantasmal Quasar

This is pretty cool. :cool: Have you considered trying to turn this into a biome mod? Or, maybe you could convince sayter to add something like this to his Frackin Universe? (I'm reminded of how the abandoned Wasteland Planets Mod was incorporated into Frackin Universe.)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016