RELEASED Stardew Symphony: Add music packs to Stardew Valley!

Discussion in 'Music/SFX' started by zipy199522, May 30, 2016.

1. zipy199522

zipy199522 Pangalactic Porcupine

Good morning everyone, and today I'd like to talk to you about my newest mod, Stardew Symphony.

Stardew Symphony is a music expansion API that allows users to add in music packs into Stardew Valley and play them without editing the game's default soundtrack. Music can be player per location and season, with additional options to play specific music depending on the time of day and the weather. More options such as muting the default rain soundtrack exist within the config file. This will not mute the music for in-game events or festivals.

Installing music packs is simple as dragging and dropping a music pack into Stardew Valley/Mods/Stardew_Symphony/Music_Packs/

Only music names included into the files located at
    Stardew Valley/Mods/Stardew_Symphony/Music_Packs/(music_pack_name)/Music_Files/Locations
    and
    Stardew Valley/Mods/Stardew_Symphony/Music_Packs/(music_pack_name)/Music_Files/Seasons
    will play according to the name of the file.txt

Here are some videos that showcase it more, and show you how to make music packs for the mod.

Showcase:

Making Music Packs:

Get it here at Nexus!

Source Code on Github!

*Note that music packs are not included by default. I have uploaded a small collection of music packs from Rune Factory 1-3 on Nexus for players to use and to get ideas on how to set up music packs in the Files tab/section. I do not own the rights to Rune Factory, but all props and credits to Neverland Studios for the games.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
      Drogean, cankersaur, foghorn and 7 others like this.
    • Anag

Anag Space Spelunker

Absolutely fantastic! I hope this becomes the norm.

• Anag

Anag Space Spelunker

Doesn't work with me. Idk if your mod or stardew valley itself or smapi, because got this same error while ago (last version) with XWB music packs:

Code:
            [06.19.57.944 ip.] Initializing Debug Assets...
            [06.19.59.109 ip.] Game failed to start: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException (0x80004005): External component has thrown an exception.
            at new[](UInt32 )
            at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.UnsafeNativeMethods.AllocateArrayAndReadFile(String filename, Void** ppData, UInt32* pdwBufferSize)
            at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.UnsafeNativeMethods.WaveBank.CreateHandle(UInt32 hEngine, String string, Int32 length, IntPtr& pCleanup)
            at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.WaveBank..ctor(AudioEngine audioEngine, String nonStreamingWaveBankFilename)
            at StardewValley.Game1.Initialize()
            at StardewModdingAPI.Inheritance.SGame.Initialize()
            at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
            at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
            at StardewModdingAPI.Program.RunGame()
            System.ComponentModel.InvalidAsynchronousStateException: An error occurred invoking the method. The destination thread no longer exists.
            at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WaitForWaitHandle(WaitHandle waitHandle)
            at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
            at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
            at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method)
            at StardewModdingAPI.Program.StardewInvoke(Action a)
            at StardewModdingAPI.Program.ConfigureSDV()
            at StardewModdingAPI.Program.Main(String[] args)

• zipy199522

That's actually a glitch with SMAPI itself. I get that from time to time and I simply close it out and try to reboot it. Sometimes takes me 1~3 times before it is fixed. Not sure why it's a thing.

• Anag

Anag Space Spelunker

Doesn't seem to be SMAPI related either. And no matter how many times I try, I always get the same error. Curiously, if I replace wave_bank.xwb I have to start the game once without SMAPI or I get the same error. In 1.06 I got the error with SMAPI everytime with xwb-swapping too, so I guess it's a bug of the game.

• zipy199522

Wait, are you swapping the xwb files from my mod with Stardew valleys? If so that would be the issue. My mod doesn't replace the original xwb, it simply installs more in the mod directory so that it has a wider selection. Swapping the original music pack would be a bad idea since my mod looks for the music packs in the mod directory folder. Also I think I might have said how to install music packs in the tutorial videos on Nexus, but if I didn't let me know and I'll make a video explaining how to install the music packs. =)

• Anag

Anag Space Spelunker

No, I mean with other mods

• zipy199522

Ahh gotcha. Hmm well I'll look into my mod again and see if there might be some random issue. I know that this sounds really lame/obvious, but did you try running SMAPI with just my mod? Otherwise I'm really not sure what might be causing this issue for you, and why nobody else reported this yet.

• EarthwormTim

EarthwormTim Intergalactic Tourist

Nice work on the mod dude, I've been messing around with it a bit trying to get everything to work and I'm pretty certain I understand mostly how it works, but I've run into a couple of problems or at least things I was wondering about.

As a note, I've encountered all of this while only loading your mod, and everything (mod/SMAPI/game) is on its latest version.

First thing to point out is the actual error I ran into, it isn't a big deal, but something I figured is worth noting, in the Music_Expansion_Config you have the explanations for min/max delay time between songs, it says if it's 0 a song will play immediately, but when I set it to 0 it returns this error:
                    Code:
                    [04:22:05.444 PM] An exception occured in XNA UpdateTick: System.ArgumentException: Invalid value '0' for parameter 'interval'.
                       at System.Timers.Timer..ctor(Double interval)
                       at Stardew_Music_Expansion_API.Class1.SetTimer()
                       at Stardew_Music_Expansion_API.Class1.GameEvents_UpdateTick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                       at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                       at StardewModdingAPI.Events.GameEvents.InvokeUpdateTick()
                    Setting it to 1 fixes it and there's no noticeable delay (1 millisecond so of course), but it had me confused for a bit when I was running the game in full screen, couldn't see the error in command prompt and my music kept cutting out between songs.

Secondly, it seems like the fall text file points to the spring season, the music I have set in fall plays whenever I load up anyway (currently in spring). I'm not certain if other seasons or night/rain are affected, but I just put my spring music under the fall text file for now.

The actual thing I was curious about though, is with the songs under the seasons text files, at the moment if I have no music on my farm, it defaults to the season text files, which is what I want. If I run to town, it immediately switches to the town music, which is also awesome. If I run back to my farm from town though, the town song hangs until it finishes then it detects there's no music for the farm and defaults back to the season texts. I'm trying to go for a Harvest Moon kind of thing where on my farm the music playing is seasonal, so I need the season text files instead of the farm text file, but I also want the music to change immediately when I leave town or whatever nearby area, so I'm not farming to that areas music, but it still accesses the appropriate track for the season. Is there a way to do this? Or is it possible for a future build to allow you to maybe type in the (for example) farm text file saying something like "use_seasons" and that way, whatever text file we have that typed in, it immediately checks the seasons files instead and switches music instantly?

Sorry for the long post, I've been having a lot of fun messing around with Stardew Symphony anyway, and it's really cool to get some Harvest Moon music into my game, thanks for all your work!

• zipy199522

Hey there, and it's a good thing you caught me at a good time, I was getting ready to go to bed for the night.

Regarding your first error, opps! I must have not caught that initially, but thanks for letting me know, and I'll add that to the list of things to fix soon then!

Second, I know what you are talking about actually. I've played tons of HM and RF games and it's true that the farm uses the seasonal music. I originally released a simple version of this mod, and honestly it hasn't been until lately that I've thought about working on this one again simply because I received little to no feedback when it first came out. So since you requested it, I'll see if I can work some magic. Expect an update probably within a week or so, but I'll let you know by posting here.

• EarthwormTim

Sounds good man, it's already super handy with what it does, pretty interested to see just how powerful it can become!

• NoMoreStars

NoMoreStars Void-Bound Voyager

This is a super cool looking mod and i'd love to start making my own music packs, the only problem is that I just don't have a clue as to where and how to get Microsoft Xact. I've tried several Google searches, but every result either looks shady or just describes what Xact is. I'd just like to know how to get it if possible and more importantly, is it free?

• zipy199522

Yes Xact is free and here is a link to install XNA Game Studio which includes XACT when you install it. This was the download that I used:

https://mxa.codeplex.com/releases/view/618279

This is the VS 2015 installation, which should include the installation for VS 2013 as well.

• NoMoreStars

NoMoreStars Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the link! After downloading XNA i've been fiddling around with a new soundpack for a while and the mod seems to run great for the most part. I haven't run into any major issues.

• zipy199522

Hey sorry it took so long, but I have updated the mod appropriately. The Farm now prioritizes seasonal music over location music (editable in the config file) and fixed some of those wacko wrong seasonal music glitches. Thanks for the catch! Enjoy the update!

• EarthwormTim

Awesome, I know what I'm doing tonight!

• angleang118

angleang118 Space Hobo

Why doesn't this mod have more attention? Anyways, excellent mod! I really like it.

I think it'll be nice if you included mp3 files that we can listen to for sampling. You give us the reference sheet but we don't exactly know much of how the music pieces sound like unless going on youtube to find them ourselves. Just a suggestion. :)

One more thing, I would like to say that this mod doesn't seem very compatible with the More Music Mod. It never crashes but sometimes I would get overlapped music in certain areas or with certain weather.
                                    Anyways thanks again for the wonderful mod!

• zipy199522

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

As much as I would like to give away some mp3s for people to listen to, the music packs that I include are really as an example of what you can do with this not to mention the whole piracy/copyright issue. This mod was centered more around letting users create their own music packs that they would enjoy listening to.

I'll see if I can look into this somehow in the next few days. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
                                      • GaiaRiot

GaiaRiot Space Hobo

This is an exciting mod and I already have a fantastic mix of Banjo-Kazooie, Chrono Trigger, Twilight Princess, and Donkey Kong Country music ready to be played in-game. Unfortunately I'm having an issue where the game crashes to desktop as soon as I try to load a save. No error is recorded in the log or anything, it just abruptly cuts off partway. The mod and game load just fine, it only crashes when I try to load a save or start a new game. I have the latest versions of everything and have tried other mods (they work) and tried no other mods and just this one (still crashes even after a clean install). Interestingly enough, when I saw in the readme file that the music pack should be loaded into StardewSymphony/Music_Files, I changed the Music_Packs name to that instead. That resulted in the game loading without crashing but an error message saying that the wave bank is empty. In any event, upon watching the tutorial again I saw that the folder is in fact supposed to be Music_Packs so I changed it back. Crashes again.

I've watched and re-watched your tutorial and it looks like I'm doing everything right in regards to converting the songs and setting them up with the wavebank, soundbank, and config files. The proper names are in the txt files for the locations and seasons as well. Any idea what it could be?

• zipy199522

I only have a few ideas.

1.Delete the folder in Stardew Valley/Mods/Stardew_Symphony/Music_Packs/BlankMusicPack (Or whatever the heck I named it). This is MOST LIKELY the issue.
                                          2.You might have named something wrong by accident. Trust me it happens. Just delete it all and start again.

It works fine with me from a clean launch, but then again I delete the BlankMusicPack folder thing.
                                          Just reply to let em know if it works or not, then we can work on a solution from there.