Modding Help crafting table recipe?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Gmoney2123, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Gmoney2123

Gmoney2123 Astral Cartographer

so I basically made a mod that for the moment allows the player to craft ornate wood, because, well... it's ornate.

PATH is:
    Code:
    ..\mods
          \Crafty Decor
                crafty_decor.modinfo
                player.config.patch
                \crafty_decor
                     ornatewood.recipe

code for MODINFO file:
    Code:
    {
        "name" : "crafty_decor",
        "version" : "Beta v. Glad Giraffe",
        "path" : "crafty_decor",
        "dependencies" : [],
        "metadata" : {
            "author" : "Gmoney2123",
            "version" : "v. 0.1",
            "description" : "Basically adds crafting recipes for decorative dungeon blocks."
        }
    }
    code for RECIPE file:
    Code:
    {
        "input" : [
            { "item" : "fullwood1", "count" : 1}
        ],

"output" : {
            "item" : "ornatewood", "count" : 2
        },
        "groups" : [ "craftingtable", "all" ]
    }
    and code for player.config.PATCH file:
    Code:
    [ {"op" : "add", "path" : "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value":{"item" : "ornatewood"} } ]
    can anybody spot the problem? I think it has to do with improper crafting table name, but the wiki is a little confusing as to which table it is.

thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Is it an INFO file or a MODINFO file? The game only loads a mod if it has a valid modinfo file, and it does not recognize 'info' files.

3. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

"teir1"

If you're modding Nightly, the group "craftingtable" has been changed.

4. Gmoney2123

I abbreviated, it is a MODINFO file

5. Gmoney2123

well I'm trying to mod the standard beta, but like I said, the wiki is a bit confusing on the subject of what the table is called for the standard game.

I've tried:
    • craftingtable
    • craftingfurniture
    • and one other I cant seem to remember / find

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  6. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

It would be helpful to know what your error is, but I whipped up the mod on my machine to test and these are the results I found:
    1. If you are getting that error popup right at the beginning saying that your mod path doesn't exist, take out the "path" line from your .modinfo file.
    2. There are three small problems with your player.config.patch:
    a) In the "path" section of your player.config.patch you need to add a '/' to the beginning of the filepath. It should look like this: "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-"
    b) You also spelled "tier" incorrectly on that same line. It's "tier1" instead of "teir1"
    c) the item name "ornate wood" needs to be one word. So your "value" should be {"item" : "ornatewood"}

Your starbound.log file is your best friend when looking for the cause of errors because little things like this can be easy to miss. There is a great post on debugging here: http://community.playstarbound.com/...ors-fixing-most-problems-yourself-v1-1.69198/

7. Gmoney2123

okay, thanks for the help, I'll get back to you on weather or not it worked.

8. Gmoney2123

just edited my original post to include the PATH information, that was why you were getting an error there.
    added the "/" you specified
    corrected "tier" spelling mistake
    corrected "ornatewood" spelling error

and my log shows only two errors:

Code:
    [16:29:19.857] Error: Failed to valid player with uuid 6f1c45167ca243d33dfa70f318968980 : (CodexDatabaseException) No such codex 'ffguide2'
    [16:29:19.868] Error: Failed to valid player with uuid 7ea292e7b4ec00117ba9c3e28016e688 : (CodexDatabaseException) No such codex 'ffguide2'

when I remove my mod and re-run starbound it still places those errors in the log, so I dont think those are related to me.

and the whole thing still doesnt work. :(

9. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Weird... it worked for me. I don't THINK those errors are a problem with your mod. I would make sure that your file structure is all correct as well. you should have your parent mod folder: ex: "giraffe_storage/mods/crafty_decor". Directly inside of that you should have your player.config.patch and your .modinfo file. Your recipe filepath should be "giraffe_storage/mods/crafty_decor/recipes/craftingtable/ornatewood.recipe" or something similar. The important thing is that the recipe file is in a "recipes" folder.

If that doesn't work, post your files up again and let's have another look.

10. Gmoney2123

YES!!!!!!

thank you very much!!!!

it was a file path issue, the guide I read never touched on proper file path layouts and I just assumed it wasn't relevant.

thanks so much!

11. Gmoney2123

question, can I use one recipe and specify all the tables it can be used for?

so make ornate wood be craftable with the wooden, iron, robotic, etc. crafting tables by specifying in the recipe file:
    Code:
    {
        ],

},
        "groups" : [ "craftingtable" "ironcraftingtable" "roboticcraftingtable", "all" ]
    }

12. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Yup! I'm pretty sure that will work!

13. Gmoney2123

note to those who read this thread!

the proper code for using recipes on multiple tables looks like this:
    Code:
    {
        ],

},
        "groups" : [ "craftingtable", "ironcraftingtable", "roboticcraftingtable", "all" ]
    }
    YOU MUST HAVE COMMAS BETWEEN ALL ENTRIES EXCEPT FOR THE "all" categorization.

14. Gmoney2123

new question, how do I pack my mod into a .pak file? nothing I try is working, I can pak the file and log says assets are loaded but it's not working.
    do I keep my file structure when packing?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here and I already looked up tutorials and stuff and It still wont work.

:fireball:

15. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

16. Gmoney2123

17. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Were those one of my guides?

18. Gmoney2123

I honestly don't remember... I don't think so.

I've read more guide since then and I actually like yours because they're pretty thorough, they've helped me make a good deal of progress with my mod.

though do you know where I can find information on:
    A.) Icon art resolution, size and dimensions
    B.)Actual object art for tables resolution, size, and dimensions
    and
    C.)Frame-art resolution, size and dimensions

I'm working on a crafting table for these blocks and the E-book you wrote for spirited giraffe doesn't talk about that information.

at least not that I've seen.

19. Gmoney2123

never mind I just scrolled down and saw the "art of war art" section.

20. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Icons can be any resolution - but for maximum quality its better to be 16 x 16 - otherwise the game engine will autoscale it to be smaller.

Just right click on a table -> properties in assets to view its dimensions.

I have no idea what frame art is.