What's the Point of Raising Slimes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yarenzohawk13, May 21, 2016.

1. yarenzohawk13

yarenzohawk13 Void-Bound Voyager

Do slimes give a product like eggs or milk, or is the only point of raising them is to kill them for slime loot?

Jaed likes this.
    • MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

Slime loot and the SATISFACTION OF HAVING A TINY EVIL ARMY AT YOUR DISPOSAL

Borodin, Habasi, Iffydust and 4 others like this.
      • dande313

dande313 Void-Bound Voyager

You can breed out some very unique slimes you can't find anywhere else. Black slimes, brown slimes, gray slimes... each of them with their own unique drops (some not found on the wiki). It's not very profitable, but it's a whole lot of fun.

upload_2016-5-20_21-54-27.png

• Unolai

Unolai Void-Bound Voyager

I do it, because it gave me something new to work on. It's just fun and satisfying to see a bunch of slime hopping around. Also, I managed to raise pink slimes! As soon as I find new red slime eggs, I slay them to see what they drop. :)

• Wildroses

Wildroses Void-Bound Voyager

If you keep their water troughs filled, they produce slime balls which give you a hell of a lot more slime than killing them would.

• dande313

dande313 Void-Bound Voyager

Quick question, have any of you been able to get slime balls from more than one slime hutch? My current farm has four, but only the first produces any. I'm wondering if I should report it as a bug.

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes, breeding cool slimes, different color slimes, slime drops and DOOM! RAIN DOOM DOWN UPON YOUR ENEMIES AS YOUR SLIMES...kinda.. bump into them..

• Jaed

Jaed Industrial Terraformer

Thanks for asking this question!

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

1) Bridge tournaments.
                    2) Watching them turn color after eating the wrong kind of mushroom.
                    3) Seeing if they'll worship Jas.
                    4) Taking out one's aggression quickly after finding it impossible to harvest all those hops due to bad seed planning.
                    5) Attempting to cross a slime with a sheep. Mendel would be so proud...
                    6) Trying to establish a traveling slime circus.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
                    • MoonlitBrenya

MoonlitBrenya Existential Complex

I have all of mine breed to purple now, although i have this one red one, stuck behind the incubator, I can't reach them to kill them, so every now and then I'll come in to find a rather pink slime. At the point I am now, I don't really have a need. I built my hutch kinda early, in hopes of getting iridium, but now, i have 20 iridium sprinklers, I have 4 bars in a chest, already have one iridium band, and just got the Statue of Perfection. I don't need the iridium.

As a side note, I did just watch this insane video on youtube of a guy hauling in over 2k iridium ore in one run, and I want to try to duplicate that (though not to the same extreme... I just think it would be fun to try it.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                      • MrsEvilbird

MrsEvilbird Pangalactic Porcupine

Speaking of slimes .. I just had a visit from that retched witch.. I thought she would only turn ONE slime black, NOT THE ENTIRE HUTCH q.q

I had like 3 purple, several red, blue and pretty light blueish.. 13... black.... slimes...
                        Man, If i ever get my hands on that witch -.-

Gabaw, Flidget and Choochu like this.
                        • Choochu

Choochu Master Chief

This happened to me before and I felt really sad. So now I also raise slimes outdoor.

[​IMG]

Jaed, Gabaw and MrsEvilbird like this.
                          • MrsEvilbird

That, is not a bad idea .. They don't manage to escape and roam the rest of the farm?

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Both she and the fairy need a bit of an AI upgrade. (And yes, I know it's not AI, but events. Just having fun.) The witch should respect your color choices, and as for the fairy...? She thrice-blessed a dead plant of mine (crow-killed). A +3 Dead Plant really doesn't do much in this game. Both are killjoys. I can just imagine the pair of them getting together with the Wizard after a hard night's work frustrating people and laughing over it with some decent brandy.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
                                Jaed likes this.
                              • Choochu

Choochu Master Chief

They do escape sometimes, but not often and when they do only 1 or 2 escape each time, when i found out I will just end his/her life. But I am not sure if those that escape are from indoor or outdoor because I raise slime inside and outdoor as well. Also if those that escape are rare color I can always try to bait it to follow me and go back into the area, just gonna take sometime. Another good thing about raising them outdoor is there is no limit! You can have more than 20 outside!

Edit: Actually, I have an idea. I will be back in a few hours and I am going to do some tests.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
                                • MrsEvilbird

I'll look forward to that o:
                                  I'm actually planning on doing a bit of outside slime breeding, just for the heck of it!

• Choochu

Choochu Master Chief

Slimes breeding outdoor is fun! I did some tests earlier (around a season in game time) and got some results. I think as long as you have fences around them outdoor, they should not escape! I killed all my slimes in the Slime Hutch and play for a few in game weeks in order to test things out, and I think slimes only escape if they were breed indoor, or if they were not fences fully. If you don't fences them fully, they could escape, I will use smilies as example below.

:paper: = fence
                                    :cautious: = slime
                                    :blank: = building

Test A:

:paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper:
                                    :blank: :cancel::cancel::cautious::cautious: :cancel::cancel::cancel::blank:
                                    :blank: :cancel: :cautious: :cancel: :cautious: :cancel::cancel: :blank:
                                    :blank: :cancel::cancel::cancel::cancel::cancel::cancel::cancel: :blank:
                                    :paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper:

Result: Slimes could sometimes get out. :cancel:

Test B:

:paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper:
                                    :paper::cancel::cancel::cautious::cancel::cautious::cancel: :paper:
                                    :paper: :cancel: :cautious: :cancel::cancel: :cautious: :paper:
                                    :paper: :cancel::cancel::cancel::cancel::cancel::cancel: :paper:
                                    :paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper::paper:

Result: Slimes never got out. :confirm:

Anyway, I only did the testing for one in game season so I might not be 100% right.

Edit: Slimes could still get out if there are too many of them. (eg. Over 100 Slimes).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
                                      Jaed and Gabaw like this.
                                    • MrsEvilbird

I'd say it looks pretty solid to me, plus, who can object against such fine smilies :D :rofl:

Gabaw and Choochu like this.
                                      • Choochu

Choochu Master Chief

So after I did my test I actually have to move my slime hutch 1 block back in order to fences them fully, and this is how it look like now. (It been one in game year since the last photo.)

Edit: I notices sometimes they can escape too if the numbers are to high (eg. over 100 slimes)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
                                          Gabaw and MagicallyClueless like this.
                                        • MrsEvilbird

Amazing! Them purples <3