WIP Stardew Furry

Discussion in 'Characters' started by MattytheMouse, May 29, 2016.

1. MattytheMouse

MattytheMouse Industrial Terraformer

[​IMG]
    Description

Stardew Furry is an ambitious game overhaul mod that will change most of the character's sprites and portraits to that of anthropomorphic animals, and will amend some of the dialogue to reflect that. In other words, it'll make Stardew Valley ever so slightly more like Animal Crossing!

As this project is still a huge work in progress, no download are available as of yet. This thread is intended for feedback, suggestions, and to journal my thoughts and progress until a satisfactory product is available.
    Content

Please note: the posted content may not be representative of the final product.

[​IMG]

Abigail was the first character I modified for several reasons; she's my favorite; alphabetically, she's first; and she has more sprites than any other character. While editing her, I made the decision to make everybody's species not only based off of personality, but family as well. As such, Abigail, Caroline, Pierre, and the wizard are all cats.

[​IMG]

I made George a goat before I started editing Alex. Initially, I was hesitant to make Alex a goat too because I wasn't sure whether or not it was fitting. I reasoned I could always make him something else since his parents are absent from the game, and had even humored the idea of making him a ram in allusion to the sports team. In the end however, I find goat Alex too gosh darn adorable.

[​IMG]

Most of the animals in Stardew Furry take their species from farm or forest animals. Seeing as how the Bouncer, Mr. Qi, and Sandy are from somewhere a little more exotic, I have no qualms making them something a little less common.

I felt the bouncer should be more imposing, so on top of making him a gorilla, I made him more hulking too.

[​IMG]

Caroline, Pierre, and the Wizard's new designs stem from Abigail. I absolutely love the fan theory that the wizard is Abigail's real father and I wanted to retain the ambiguity as to whether or not that is true, so not only did I make them all cats, I mix and matched the three character's fur colors so that they could all blend together to make Abigail's.

[​IMG]

I can't think of a more appropriate species to make Clint than a bear. He's strong, he's hairy, uh... he ruins picnics?

I had to make his neck thicker in order to make him more bearish. I'm still debating as to whether or not I should completely redraw his sprite to make him bigger.

[​IMG]

Robin and Demetrius are a cute couple. I thought it was really awesome that Stardew Valley not only has a mixed family, but an interracial one too. I wanted to keep that by making making Robin and Demetrius different species despite every other family in the valley being the same. I also decided to make Demetrius and Maru mice. You know. Like lab mice.

[​IMG]

I'd originally made Evelyn a sheep, but I didn't think it was obvious without the horns. So, I made her a goat too, just like her husband George.

[​IMG]

I dare you to name a more perfect animal for George to be than a goat. I fucking dare you.

[​IMG]

I'd always thought Gunther's sprite was awkward, so I edited to be thinner like he seems to be in his character portrait. And then I made him an opossum.

[​IMG]

I have no idea why I imagined Gus as a beaver, but gosh it's oddly fitting.

[​IMG]

I'd struggled on what to make Haley for longer than I should've. It wasn't until a friend of mine csuggested making her a dumb bunny that I thought, "god dammit, that actually works really well".

[​IMG]

I noticed that the anthro characters mod made Leah a fox too. It's one of the few species that remained the same between these two independently created mods. It's probably because hot damn she's a vixen.

[​IMG]

Mariner is a character that's shrouded in mystery. He shows up out of nowhere in a spot that's normally inaccessible to judge whether or not you're ready to get married. Since he's so mysterious and he gives you the mermaid pendant, I decided to make him a sea monster, making him the only character based off of a mythological creature.

[​IMG]

At first, Marlon was supposed to be a dragon, making him the only character other than Mariner to be based off of a mythological creature. Sadly, I got a bit too ambitious with his character design; I wanted him to have a longer neck and wings, which wouldn't have fit on his sprite sheet or looked good. In the end, I made things easier for myself by making him a wolf.

[​IMG]

Squirk!

[​IMG]

I strongly disliked Maru's hospital outfit in the middle game. I also didn't want to give her a sexualized nurse's outfit, so to avoid the temptation I gave her the least arousing hospital garments ever: scrubs.

[​IMG]

I made her a skunk, because get it...? She's as drunk as a skunk! Ho-ho-ho!

I'm sorry.

[​IMG]

For some reason, the decision to make Robin a collie came from her fetching you at the beginning of the game reminding me of Lassie.

[​IMG]

While Robin is a rough collie, Sebastian is a border collie. It seems more fitting with the whole goth thing he has going on.

[​IMG]

The Wizard's color palette is only slightly darker than Abigail's alluding to the fact that he may or may not be her real father.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am still experimenting with the best way to do character portraits; which way they should be created; what kind of style they should be in. Marlon's portrait portrait is a raster doodle drawn at a much higher resolution and scaled down.

[​IMG]

This portrait was my first experimentation with portrait editing. It was drawn on a canvas of 100x100 pixels, and I was not entirely satisfied with the end result.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    • Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

these look pretty good!

MattytheMouse likes this.
      • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

i love your note descriptions. very cute to see a laid back artist commentary. people try too hard to sound cool, you know?

MattytheMouse likes this.
        • MattytheMouse

I know I'm cool. I don't need to try. :cool:

Seriously though, thank you! It means a lot to hear that somebody liked reading through them.

• MattytheMouse

So, I figured I should probably post some kind of update. I've been working on Abigail's portraits. Again. This is probably the third time I've redrawn them overall, but it's finally getting to the point where I'm happy with them.

Feedback is very much appreciated. Also, since this post is linked to my dropbox, it should automatically update as progress is made, so keep on coming back!

[​IMG]

• SasuraUchiha

SasuraUchiha Cosmic Narwhal

Abigail looks pretty cute!

• Maxiplayer

Maxiplayer Subatomic Cosmonaut

Omg ♥ this is so cute and amazing! I was looking for a mod like this, i hope you can finish this soon ♥

• cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

The portraits look a little blurry -- have you seen the HD Portrait mod... thing? :3 Maybe it would help.

• Bryalba

Bryalba Void-Bound Voyager

Harvey as a dog would be fitting some kind of herding breed (I know you already have two collie types but Harvey as a collie would be downright adorable) if not a Shepherd, Corgi, or maybe or rescue type (Bernese mountain dog, St Bernard) or even a retriever since there commonly used as service dogs.
                    Also can you make Robins snout more like Leah's Collies have a pretty long snout. Its hard to tell from her sprite what she should be. Also i'm going to be a bit nit picky and say the tail is too low to the ground and it should be chunkier and tapered if your going for the collie look. (sorryimacollienerd)

• MattytheMouse

Thank you very much! Unfortunately, I haven't put too much work into it over this last month due to real-life issues, but I'll be getting back into it very soon!

I have not! Could you provide a link? It'd be greatly appreciated. =D

Actually, I was thinking Harvey would be a squirrel. Because... I'unno. The guy seems awfully squirrely to me! That being said, I'll definitely take your feedback into consideration when I start putting polish on Robin's sprite. Thank yu very much!

Maxiplayer likes this.
                      • cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

Sorry, it was suuuper hard to find. Here!

• Biofreak192

Biofreak192 Void-Bound Voyager

are still working on this mod?

• MattytheMouse

I am! But it's been going very slowly.

Protip: don't start working on a mod shortly before you start moving.

• Biofreak192

would keep that advice in mind :nuruhappy:

• Squeakykins

Squeakykins Orbital Explorer

These are so perfect! All of the species choices are spot-on.

• Biofreak192

those seen to be comming up nicely

• Revenile

Revenile Phantasmal Quasar

Watch this too, so I can see which finishes first :p

• Fore

Fore Void-Bound Voyager

Looking forward to whatever else you have in store for this! Looking great so far!

• Biofreak192

After the update arrive i went here to see how the project is doing

• CheetahFloran

CheetahFloran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Any progress on the mod so far?