1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Rocket Launcher + Misc Stuff 1.16

Adds a themed rocket launcher for the Avali race, as well as a few miscellaneous extra items.

1. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

Ulithium_Dragon submitted a new mod:

Avali Rocket Launcher + Misc Stuff - Adds a themed rocket launcher for the Avali race, as well as a few miscellaneous extra items.

Read more about this mod...

Sgt.fox170 and Relten like this.
  2. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

My only issue with all this is the shrapnel rocket. Aerogel is a very light substance, and would at most do little more than scratch unless inserted with some force (As is the case with aerogel weapons, their main appeal is that the blades, once inside an enemy, can be easily broken off and left inside to deal more damage)

I'm not saying it needs changing, I'm just pointing this out (HOnestly, I can't think of a better way to do shrapnel anyways, aside from simply making it not bounce and simply vanish on impact)

3. Ulithium_Dragon

The discussion in the main Avali thread was about it being "very hot", not necessarily "sharp". Same kinda thing I end up just "BS Explaining (TM)" the projectiles for my Tech Bows lol. :]

Also, I'm not near good enough at coding in both javascript and lua to write a new special ability, so I had to go with what I could repurpose. The effect is a modified "Shrapnel Grenade" ability that is normally found randomly on shotguns in the vanilla game.
    I suppose I could add burning damage to the shrapnel projectiles, but it's already a bit OP as it is, and I was having an annoyingly hard time balancing and tweaking the damage, as there are so many variables in multiple files that seem to influence it... =.=

4. enderlordmc

enderlordmc Big Damn Hero

the 500 damage is a bit much, maybe tone it down to like 120

5. Ulithium_Dragon

For which attack, the primary, or the special (left or right click)?

I had a hell of a hard time trying to balance the special attack, as it's controlled by a sum of at least 3 different files with lots of variables... >_<

6. enderlordmc

the listed damage, so probably the primary

7. Ulithium_Dragon

I'll take another look, but I DID say I tried to balance the gun for "endgame of the endgame" worlds, and the recipe requirement should reflect that.

8. Ulithium_Dragon

I'm doing 100 damage to things on the end-game planets - things in the "Fiery Star" systems (i.e. lava planets and dark worlds):

RocketDamageExample.gif

Any higher tier weapon will do more damage to things on lower level worlds, as those things have less damage resistances.

I cannot ballance one gun for all world levels, and while I SUPPOSE I could add more levels of the gun, balancing them would be a B*TCH (the main reason why I chose not to), and also the current gun's recipe should only be able to be created once you are at the last few world levels, so...

9. enderlordmc

you forget that the armor damage buff exists, and is the main reason why this launcher is broken. especailly with FU (500*510%=2550) (510% is the damage bonus from the shoggoth armor, one of the four end-game armors from FU)

10. Ulithium_Dragon

Gun is in line with vanilla weapons honestly - I do not feel it needs a rebalance. You can do it yourself if you really want to...

11. enderlordmc

actually, most randomly generated launchers at that tier do 120-150 damage

12. Ulithium_Dragon

You saw my .gif above, yes? That is in end-game gear, but not the one that buffs rocket launcher damage. If you are getting 500's, then that is ABSURDLY OP and sorta a "base game" problem, as it would mean you'd need to have gear that was giving you 5x the damage...

You can EASILY change the damage yourself:
    1) Navigate to "mods\Avali Rocket Launcher + Misc Stuff\items\active\weapons\ranged\tiered\rocketlauncher\avali" and open the file named "avalirocketlauncher.activeitem" with any text editor (such as Notepad, Notepad++, Sublime Text, etc.).
    2) Find the value "baseDps" and change it to whatever you want.

You will need to play around A LOT with the value, and it is also affected by the "power" stat on the projectile as well (and I have no idea what "weight" each of them has on the damage outcome...).

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  13. rillz

rillz Void-Bound Voyager

For those wondering why this is broken atm.

The grapplinghook format changed so avaliclimbingaxe.grapplinghook is no longer a recognized item instead it needs to be in the new activeitem format.

Edit: apparently physics involved changed since I last played with starbound as i cant find the vanilla iceaxe and a 0 length grapplinghook dosent have the same effect it used to. So much for trying to make a quick fix. I will leave this up as others might come looking with the same problem.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  14. Ulithium_Dragon

My interest in Starbound just took a nosedive as there's nothing left for me to do - finished all the quests, made a settlement, got a crew, etc. etc. etc.

I'm gonna put out a release now even though I still cannot figure out how to fix the special ability on the rocket. If I don't, I will not feel like sharing it later on... >_<

Few mins to try and balance the damages a bit more, hang on.

EDIT: This forums is really shitty atm - I just got my post auto merged, except it looked like it cloned it on merge (it showed me two posts, one with this post merged into it and one without), so naturally I tried to edit the second one and remove the older post. On finishing my edit, the cloned post removed itself and now that post is completely gone - it even wiped my screenshot. I'm not spending the time to put it back.........

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  15. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon updated Avali Rocket Launcher + Misc Stuff with a new update entry:

Fixed for Starbound v1.0+

Read the rest of this update entry...

16. EpicNomming

EpicNomming Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The rocket launcher doesn't fire for me :/
    The other stuff works though. I'm having the same issue with the Warframe mod.

17. Ulithium_Dragon

I pushed the update out quickly for reasons I mentioned above... I was having the "does not fire" issue when I tried to use my custom alt fire ability, which is one of the reasons I gave up and dropped it.

That being said, I was rushing a bit and I may have forgotten to actually test a new version of the rocket launcher. The one I was using was working fine, but if you change certain things in a weapon mod, you have to make a new one to see the changes, so...

I'll double check on my end, hang on.

---------------------------------------------

EDIT: Ug... I shouldn't have done this right before going to bed lmfao. I rushed and wrote "ShrapnelBomb" for the alt fire ability, when it's called "ShrapnelGrenade".
    Gimme a minute and I'll post an update... :/

EDIT2: Wait no - it IS called "ShrapnelBomb" - what did I screw up ffs...

EDIT3: FFS, seriously!?!? The names are CASE SENSITIVE!?!? Ug...
    Hang on, lemme make sure it's all working and I'll post an update... =.=

EDIT4: MOTHER OF... Yeah I fixed the custom alt fire ability. It was a STUPIDLY tiny error, but one that was SO EASY TO OVERLOOK:
    They changed the folder for alt fire abilities from "altabilities" to "abilities", and I had the wrong dir path listed... All is now working... /cry

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  18. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon updated Avali Rocket Launcher + Misc Stuff with a new update entry:

Bug fixes, rebalances, etc.

Read the rest of this update entry...

19. EpicNomming

EpicNomming Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I found that the non-firing issue was for ALL guns, vanilla or mod, and was caused by a different mod. Sorry for the trouble.
    Also, the damage on this gun seems to be pretty low for T6... Or maybe it's just me.
    I have the Gambler..? set usually and I only get to fire 2 shots which barely do anything to some of the enemies I face which have enormous health pools (Probably at least 400 or 500).
    Maybe buff it a little bit, or add a stronger version? The spear seems pretty well rounded, and I like the ability on it :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  20. Ulithium_Dragon

No, I definitely did make a mistake here as well.

It's all good though, as it lead to me figuring out WTF was wrong with my custom alt fire ability and fixing it. :]