1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Aesthetic Mod: Bellies!

Discussion in 'Other' started by FerreTrip, Jan 15, 2014.

1. FerreTrip

FerreTrip Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I will preface this with a disclaimer: I mean absolutely no insult to anyone of any body size or preference with this mod. This mod is meant to be taken as whatever you like: Humorous, preferable, or even just something different.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

See, I've got an idea for a mod. I call it the Belly Mod. No gameplay modding, no new weapons, no nothing. The only thing that changes?

All humanoid races have kinda indulged themselves a bit too much. In other words, everyone (including Glitch, don't ask how) has a big belly.

Why did I do this? Just for fun, pretty much. I don't plan on this being a super-complex mod, but who knows? Here's what the mod will require me to do:

1. Edit the base body sprites for both males and females so they have a big belly.
    2. Edit pants to get out of the way of the belly by basically pasting the bellies over, then using them to cut out the appropriate spaces.
    3. Edit chest stuff to accommodate the belly in one of two ways I shall list below.
    4. Finally, if need be, edit the actual coding of the game itself (read: the pants or chest files) to split unisex pieces of clothing into picking one or the other.

Now, there are two ways to do the belly itself, and how the clothing works will depend on which I choose:

A - Static Blob
    B - Jiggly Blob

Option A is what I'm currently doing. This means that the belly pretty much never changes shape (unless crouching or swimming). The advantage to this is that it makes life easier on me for making the outfits, since I'll be able to have the entire belly covered with the clothing if I so desire. The disadvantage is that it's kinda still boring.

Option B is what I originally wanted (I still have all the frames for the male in a PSD file!). This means that as the character runs, the belly will bounce and jiggle about, stretching and squashing if possible. The advantage with this is that it's a thousand times more fun. The disadvantages are that I still need to edit the female version (they have slightly smaller bellies than males and larger breasts) and, most importantly, there are not enough frames given with the chest clothing/armor files to let me have fully-covered bellies. As well, the upper part might shift a bit (it'll have to with females, you can't get away with having breasts that large and not even a pixel's worth of bouncing and still call it polished), so even if I do the second option for clothing (I'll explain in a bit), I might not be able to do it right.

For the way I do clothing, I either do it with a full cover over the belly (like most people with large tummies IRL would do) or I would have it be "too small", where the clothing is relatively normal-sized, but the belly pours out of it.

The advantage of full cover is that it looks better oftentimes, and makes it feel more like a proper mod than just a slapdash kinda thing. The disadvantages include the fact that it renders Option B completely impossible given the current number of frames for the chest, and that it takes more work from me to sprite over all that bulk in a sensible manner.

The advantages of "too small" are that it's pretty funny, and that, if I decide to just do lower belly movement for jiggling (which is plausible, but not exactly what I'd like), I can have both the jiggling and the clothing showing. The disadvantages are that it's really lazy and unpolished, and that it might not look great on all things.

So! I will create (and then link here) a thread asking about the chest frames, and in the meantime, I will ask you all here, which do you think I should do: Option A or B?

Either way, [big]tell me what you think!![/big] (And be nice, please.)

Some goals that would be cool to reach:
    - Editing the code so that this happens if a character eats too much whilst full, game shifting to the "fat" versions of all clothing (and bed covers), and remains as such for five minutes per point of food they overeat (so if they overate enough food to fill x points in the bar, they are fat for that many minutes times five) or death
    - Editing the code so that while fat, the character's base warmth increases by a notable amount while base energy decreases by a notable (but slight) amount
    - Making it so that they have fat rumps as well (particularly the females) so we can have normal pear shapes
    - Randomize which NPCs are fat and which aren't

Of course, the code stuff is EXTREMELY beyond me, and even so, it's going to take a LOOOOOOOOOTTA spriting to begin with. So yeah, just a few goals I'd like.

Now, COMMENT AWAY!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Ronman likes this.
  2. warcore

warcore Existential Complex

hmm.....useless but fun...GO FOR IT!!!!

3. FerreTrip

FerreTrip Scruffy Nerf-Herder

4. critiasConfined

critiasConfined Aquatic Astronaut

So I know this mod seems to have been, kinda. In limbo for a good bit. With "a good bit" meaning half a year. Nonetheless, I wanted to say that this mod really piques my interests, if it helps. I'm going to say that the goals you set were insanely ambitious, and perhaps this mod is of an interest that is just too esoteric to be very popular. I'd love to see this completed, though. And if you could actually pull off Option B, that would be pretty fuckin' chill. Same goes for those little goals you set towards the end of the OP. I took what you had for a test drive and it's pretty nice as-is. If you're interested, I would be willing to help out or even take over if you want. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to coding or spriting, but I think that some of said goals may be within my reach.

Just a thought. And it's kinda a hypothetical idea. But seriously, there's a part of me that really wants to see this one carry through.

5. Nordaadder

Nordaadder Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm going to be keeping my eye on this, hopefully it continues to get made, and if the original maker has lost interest in it, would it be fine if others worked on this?

6. Sean10M

Sean10M Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't see why not. Its not like body fat is copyrighted.

7. yoimpaddy

yoimpaddy Big Damn Hero

I really hope you come back to this mod.

8. Sean10M

Would be cool to see though honestly probably won't use it because people seem limited in incorporating these elements into character creation. I'd love it as an option in character creation but (similar to the bust enlarging mod) if its imposed on everyone it would be really immersion breaking for me.

9. BPStuart

BPStuart Phantasmal Quasar

Yessss. I have been looking for a fat mod. I hope updates come eventually.

10. Sean10M

Unlikely. This seems far from becoming a reality so far and the guy seems to be long dead.

11. BPStuart

Good thing i have got this big book of fell necromancy to revive the author and this mod.

oh wait that didn't work out like i had hoped, now there are zombie slices of old pizza looking to feast on the living. I am going to go get my shotgun.

( though seriously i think i will just have to make my own. )

12. Sean10M

That sounds like the way to go.

13. TreeAtmos

TreeAtmos Void-Bound Voyager

does anyone still follow this thread?, i've got something i wanna show you guys but i dunno if you're gonna see it if i post it here

14. Sean10M

Well I am. I think I might be the only one though.

15. TreeAtmos

TreeAtmos Void-Bound Voyager

alright, i guess i will post what i wanted to post, i don't want to show too many people what i've done or i'll feel rushed to finish it and then never end up finishing it.

• [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • the novakid and avian races are still in very early stages, i still haven't put bird feet on 99% of all of the avian sprites and as you might be able to see, the novakid is floating and his head is back a few pixels more than it should be, but hylotl are almost fully complete

Ronman, Jase-Vendor, wood249 and 9 others like this.
  16. Presto Majesto

Presto Majesto Intergalactic Tourist

This looks great! I'm excited for it to finish!

17. Sean10M

Wow. That looks really promising. Good luck and take you're time. Projects often suffer if people don't give themselves breathing room and rest. So what ever you do don't rush it and feel free to procrastinate on it.

Presto Majesto likes this.
  18. BPStuart

I like what i see.

19. Sean10M

BTW TreeAtmos. I do have two questions. First of all is this going to reskin the base races or are these going to be released as separate races that are treated as members of the same respective races in game?

As for my second question. Do you have a liver that's shaped like a kidney?

20. sushiforhelp

sushiforhelp Space Spelunker

Your spriting skills are insanely great. I'd love to see where this goes, TreeAtoms.