1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the tallest crop type?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by LazerRay, May 12, 2016.

1. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

I'm planing to build a very efficient farm in a tight space (actually on my ship), I would like to know what the tallest farm-able crop type is so I can have enough clearance for the platforms to stack more places in the room.

I already know that trees are out since the tallest room in a tier 8 Hytol ship is too short, but for stuff you can farm, I might be able to fit all plant types there if spaced correctly, sadly the Starbound wiki doesn't have the info I need for the build. The final build will have 1 row of dirt for the bottom and platforms with dirt for the upper sections with the crops between everything.

If anyone knows the plant sizes, please post it here, not just for me, but for anyone else who plans to build a stacked farm.

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I believe it is either Bananas or Corn. Experimentation is key, however.

3. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

You already stated trees are out of the question so there goes the poor coconuts. If you ever want all possible food items for baking and such then you will need a planet for coconuts alone. If you simply want a large range of food items on your ship then it may be worth your time to work your way up to save the most possible space. I believe potatoes and pineapples grow on the ground for example and would be the first I would grow if I was going for such. I believe most food plants grow about 3 tiles tall but I personally never grew corn or bananas so as Mackinz stated you may have to just experiment. It isn't like you can't change the layout as you go.

4. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

The room I plan to put my farm in is the second form the back in a tier 8 Hytol ship, it has two doors on the right (One very high up) and a door on the left in the center (will require platforms). I don't think any default ship can support trees, even when maxed out so that is the only thing I need a planetary base for, but crops should work.

I may have to have a few test crops plated and measure them before I start developing that area, besides placing platforms, I also plan to change out all the background blocks to something that looks better. As for the tree thing I'm storing all my saplings (From the More Saplings mod) in an Outpost Shipping Container (I'm using Enhanced Storage - Horder's Edition for that).

When I come up with something I will post my design and measurements here.

5. Zerukoba

Please do, I would love to see the results. Sorry I couldn't be of any use.

6. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

[​IMG]

Looking at the ship, you may have space at the bottom of the third level, just in front of that great room for a tree to grow through all three levels. I've been able to grow trees in every ship so far. So you should be able to find a way, even if it is just one tree.

Btw, the highest crop takes up the same space as a standard door.

Wingidon likes this.
  7. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

If you can't grow trees, try again. Some of them can be almost twice the size of others. A farm would be better on a planet, but you can still have a tree on your ship just to complete your farm.

trees.png

8. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

I measured the banana tree I found on a planet and later some I grew on my ship, they max out at 6 blocks tall and you can place things right above them.

If you look at the image SivCorp posted, my farm will be in the second from the back room, right now its still under construction but I'm able to get four rows in there to plant seeds with the bottom left of that room closed off with only a platform on top for the two submerged plants, it was a bit tricky to layout the platforms to have access to all levels and doors (I need that very back room for another thing not related to farming). I will post a screenshot of the build once I have it finished, just need to gather more resources to set up the automatic irrigator so my farm becomes low maintenance (I hate baby-sitting crops when I have other things to do).

9. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

If you really want space, find a barren, lifeless planet. Mark it with a flag, then find what you think is the highest point of land. Build a straight line of dirt the whole way around the world. Plant your stuff. I have a bladetree farm that I use for plant fibers. It's on a barren world, and you can plant trees right next to each other and they will grow. I never need to cut vines ever again.

My advice: Save the space on your ship and start looking for a barren planet.

10. Sh4dowWalker96

Sh4dowWalker96 Big Damn Hero

Would moons work too, or does the planet need to have air for plants of any kind to grow?

11. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

I completed the farm on my ship, and its able to fit all crop types on most levels (With the exception of the one second from the top, its only 5 blocks tall instead of 6 blocks)

[​IMG]

The image shows my farm uses both the Automatic Irrigator and Spigot mods, but this layout should work fine with out them, just make sure that a section on the lower part only has a vertical entrance for Coral Creep and Reef Pods.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Wingidon and Zerukoba like this.
  12. Zerukoba

Looking real nice. I might take the same route if I ever play on survival mode (pacifist Hylotl run will be fun once I get around to it) though just without the plants that require to be underwater.

13. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

That build should fit other ships too, you just need a large room for the farm.

14. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Moons have meteors. Those would tear a farm apart in a matter of minutes.

15. Sh4dowWalker96

Sh4dowWalker96 Big Damn Hero

I should probably start paying more attention to the weather indicators on my ship then, I've never noticed that due to not being on the surface of moons for more than a minute, max.