Modding Discussion Decorative Ship Models

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by LazerRay, May 9, 2016.

1. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

This would just be a simple decorative object mod that would add models of different ships to the game.

They could include a model of all tier 8 racial ships and the old Hytol drop-ship (might be funny to see what people have for their descriptions).

Another option would be to have model of ships from various movies, TV shows, and games, possibly a new type of tenant for them the Sci-Fi Geek (he would make references to various science fictions with his dialog).

I came up with this idea because as we know, every good star-ship caption has a collection of models on display (Captain Picard and Commander Shepard to name two of them).

Sadly something like this is beyond my skill level for graphics design, I'm no good with pixel art at all, but this should be simple enough for anyone who likes this idea.

intrepid-explorer and matrix1368 like this.
  2. Ailuco

Ailuco Seal Broken

This is a really cool idea! I'll try making some pixel art of the models in my spare time, I'll tell you when the first one is done.

3. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

I left the basic idea open, so you have plenty of references to choose from, but a few ships I had in mind are:

The Serenity from Firefly (Fits the Novakid theme)
    The Millennium Falcon from Star Wars
    The oringal Enterprise, Enterprise D, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager from the Star Trek line
    The Milano from Guardians of the Galaxy
    The Normandy from Mass Effect

Of course ships from Starbound itself in their maxed out forms, and the old "Fish" one

If anyone else has more ideas to add to the list, post them here, working on the object scripts isn't too hard, just need the images to go with them.

4. Ailuco

Ailuco Seal Broken

[​IMG] Tada! Millennium Falcon. Take that as a sample of my work. If you like, I can do more of these.

intrepid-explorer and matrix1368 like this.
  5. matrix1368

matrix1368 Pangalactic Porcupine

Damn looks awesome.

Are you going to make that mod yourself or is it an idea for mod developers?

6. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

Nice job on that image

I think both for that question. I can help work on the mod, I'm lousy with pixel art and I have no clue how the tenant system or NPCs work, but I can work on the object scripts.

The mod should be open for anyone to add to it or tweak as needed, since I have a feeling other people could have more ideas than what was already listed or good racial descriptions of things for the models, or the Sci-Fi Geek's dialog (that is where things can be really creative).

Machy likes this.
  7. matrix1368

Nice. If you need any help contact me. I'm always open for new challanges :D

8. Ailuco

Ailuco Seal Broken

Maybe in the future when crew members are introduced into the stable game, there could be a sci-fi themed crew member that could join you (probably the sci-fi geek tenant, but maybe he alters your ship when he joins your crew?)

9. matrix1368

I'm currently working a new mod that adds a new shop in the Outpost where you can buy new ships with custom interior etc.

EDIT: So maybe also those movie ships etc where ship models could be added for.