REQUEST Yellow Dirt Removal Alteration

Discussion in 'Mods' started by dintern, May 10, 2016.

1. dintern

dintern Astral Cartographer

So there's a mod on Nexus called Yellow Dirt Removal and it basically replaces all the yellow dirt in the game with grass. Is there any way to edit this mod so that only the farm has all of its yellow dirt replaced? I would ask the creator but there's no way for me to contact them without signing up for a paid Nexus account.

alan88 likes this.
    • Irow

Irow Aquatic Astronaut

you don't have to pay to sign up to nexus, there's an option at the end of the page where you can choose to skip payment options or something like that

• Declension

Declension Cosmic Narwhal

I'm still waiting on this one. I noticed there are people making paths into grass and having to change the grass tiltes every season by replacing the xnb file, but I much rather have the yellow dirt just grass that changes color every season without me having to exit and leave the game to change files. Being restricted to the farm would be a plus too, as like said int he nexus mod, everywhere else also gets grass.

SpaceClown likes this.
        • Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

On it. ^_^

Edit: Got busy so Advize said he'd make it

Last edited: May 20, 2016
          • Declension

My hero <3

dollbae likes this.
            • dintern

dintern Astral Cartographer

The mod in the OP basically makes the yellow gravel paths the same as the green grass, it automatically changes each season. You don't need to replace the xnb since the grass is coded to change appearance each season already.

• Jinxiewinxie

The mod in the OP changes the dirt ground itself into grass. Everywhere. That's OP's request, one that only does it on the farm.

The response you replied to also mentioned a paths to grass mod, but that one makes you have to change it out to match the right seasonal grass. You also have to lay a path everywhere on farm, which is tedious (though you only have to do it once, I imagine).

dollbae likes this.
                • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

You can PM with a free Nexus account.

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Anyways, I went ahead and made a mod for you that does this. It requires SMAPI (I assume you know of what this is, but feel free to ask followup questions if you don't).

Download here and extract the contents to your Mods directory [Removed]

It works by patching the tilesheet with the original mod creator's edited tilesheets when you enter the farm, and patching back in the vanilla game tilesheet once you leave the farm. Works regardless of season. Might be a small performance impact if you rapidly move in and out of your farm (though in my testing, it didn't affect load times).

Source: [Removed]

Edit: Just realized the version I posted still had debug messages being written to the console. Will repost shortly.

Edit 2: Updated mod slightly. Debug messages removed, handled the texture patching in a slightly less lazy way than previously. New download link, new source.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
                      EpicAdventure and Jinxiewinxie like this.
                    • Declension

Aw man I was hoping for an xnb change.. I really don't want to use smapi. My potato lap top has troubles running basically anything more than one application at a time...
                      I guess waiting I shall keep doing..

• Jinxiewinxie

The mod linked in the OP does that, you don't have to switch out the files each season. Here's the link again: http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/178/?

The caveat is that it will change the dirt texture to grass everywhere, whereas with the SMAPI mod that Advize made, it only changes it on the farm. There isn't a way to do that with just .xnb modding.

Also, with SMAPI, you're not really running multiple applications. You're loading up the SMAPI .exe which starts the game, instead of the normal StardewValley.exe. You should try downloading it and see if it works out for you without a performance loss =)

• sheetcakeghost

sheetcakeghost Weight of the Sky

You, good fellow, are a god damn champion.

Jinxiewinxie likes this.
                          • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

The only way to do this would be to edit the map and change approx ~5,200 tiles by hand to use a new tilesheet.

• Hitgirl911

Hitgirl911 Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello! I downloaded the yellow dirt removal mod but it's still removing the dirt everywhere...

• eps2016

eps2016 Void-Bound Voyager

thanks for this!
                                found a bug or something when i try to start a new game with the mod enable it just close the window

just activate it after you save on your farm and all is fine :)

• Mr.Mudkipss

Mr.Mudkipss Big Damn Hero

• TheZhongKui

TheZhongKui Void-Bound Voyager

Aww, man. I'd love to use this mod right now. I am not a fan of the dirt covering the entire farm!