1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Glitch lore

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Guest0241525, May 4, 2016.

1. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

So, I've been checking codex books... and I've taken notice of The Would-Be King (1 2 3 4 5 6) and Hiraki Corale's notes on the Glitch (hierarchy, individuals, outcasts)

The problem here, of course, is lore. There are some glaring contradictions. For example, Glitch are known to reproduce by physically assembling a new Glitch according to their official introduction. However the books mention Glitch being unable to ever increase their population.

Next up, is hierarchy - where apparently every Glitch was focused on a certain 'role'. At first first you may think that aristocracy qualifies as a 'role', and yet, many books mention the lack of rulers, in spite of obvious presence of royal Glitch in the castles within the game, with explicit mentions of monarchs from the Glitch player character.

Where am I to look at for a reliable source on anything at all?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2017
  2. The lore is being completely revamped and unified for 1.0 so things will be clearer and more consistent across the board, as things have changed and been rewritten throughout beta development. Plus, on a side note, the navigation window for lore books is much prettier. Check it out!
    [​IMG]

HI-MAX² likes this.
  3. Manixx

Manixx Big Damn Hero

Regarding population: it might be assumed that some Glitch do the equivalent of "dying", as in units conk out or go missing or get destroyed for whatever reason, but some parameter in their coding allows them to "sure up" their numbers by building new models to replace old ones.

I don't know, what do I look like, some kind of robo-biologist?

4. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Honestly, kinda. That is a fancy visor you have there.

But Manixx did make a good point. Maybe by being unable to increase their population they meant the overall number. They can build new glitches but only if it doesn't cause the overall number to increase beyond the limit that been programmed into them. Sound like a good way to limit the Glitches ability of taking over the universe if something were to go wrong. Otherwise they can build armies at a time where living races can only make babies and only teach them so much so fast. I guess in a way both books are true in terms of population issues.

5. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

your forgetting that the creators of the glitch made them to simulate social evolution. if that social evolution lead the glitch to take over the universe then I dont think the creators would care
    another thing is that glitch were made to be as lifelike as possible, so newly built glitch would probably be about as smart as a newborn and probably grow at about the same rate (how they grow I have no idea)

6. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

That is a good point. Glitch are a weird race, maybe more so than Novakids. Hopefully the revamped lore will fix the loose ends.