WIP StarDOPE VALLEY: adding CANNABIS as a mod to SDV. update: 5/4

Discussion in 'Mods' started by taintedwheat, Apr 6, 2016.

1. taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Omg yes! More help the merrier!
    Uhm, I know there's a lot of machine stuff need to be made.
    I also don't have a pixel base set up yet for my npc
    and hmm lots of tile sheets need to be set up for the store layout and what not xD

also if you guys want to throw out names that would be cool.
    no name2.png

asteriaex likes this.
    • Delta9

Delta9 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Idk, I feel like the whites of her eyes should be... Pinker. :D

And on my username, it's multi-meaning, but one of the meanings is after Delta-9 THC, the kind responsible for getting you high as balls. :DD

taintedwheat likes this.
      • lannihamm

lannihamm Pangalactic Porcupine

Sure! I'll get started later today (I live in Texas where we got wrecked with floods -- today i'm finally going to rid my backyard of all the snakes that washed up, but that shouldn't take very long).

taintedwheat likes this.
        • taintedwheat

:up::up::up:, I will make sure to do that for a lot of them n__n

oooh I can dig that, ahh i enjoy high grade stuff so much, kinda pricy though. I wish I could learn to grow my own or at least work at this weed delivery place i'm always buying at @_@; although the chick who owns it is pretty cool, i might get possible intern stuff in the future, especially w/ my major and all

yay! yeah it shouldn't, a lot of them look 160 characters or less hahaha --minus the crops though

that sounds very... texas. do you like grab them or, power wash the ground til they slither away (but how?):proper:

• SarahKik

SarahKik Pangalactic Porcupine

Mary Jane! :D

I'm gonna check out the first post and see if there's anything I can help with ^_^

taintedwheat likes this.
            • taintedwheat

yay! thankies !!! n___n <3 <3 <3

• SarahKik

Do other NPC's need to be made? Maybe other shoppers in the store? :D

taintedwheat likes this.
                • taintedwheat

That would be kinda cool!

• lannihamm

ah well, there's a couple of different approaches depending on what the problem is -- if it were just a snake or two, i'd just lop their heads off with the machete and be done with it, but the rains also washed out all the stuff we set out to keep snakes/scorpions/spiders out sooooo:
                    • went through the backyard with a shovel & machete to kill any snakes and check if any had made a nest (thankfully not)
                    • cleared out some fallen branches, brush, etc., mowed the grass
                    • lined the backyard and house with sulfur, mothballs and fire ant poison
                    • spread cayenne pepper in the grass (keeps animals from pooping in your yard)
                    • bagged and dumped the snakes (depending on if the snake is poisonous or not, you usually try not to handle their bodies right away)
                    now i'm just going to wait until the sun has gone down a bit, then water the grass to help everything sink in :kawaii:

as for the items though, I counted three strains (hemp, indica & sativa) and four vapes/"cannabis tools" (concentrates, oil, marijuana & combination), is that everything?

edit: maybe "Ivy" as the npc name? (was thinking about how after Beyonce and Jay-Z had their daughter Blue Ivy, growers in Cali created and named a strain after her)

Last edited: May 5, 2016
                      taintedwheat likes this.
                    • taintedwheat

Damn sounds like an endeavor and whoa makes you look like a badass! Are any of them rattlesnakes or is that like a topography thing where it depends on the location and enviroment?

Its actually four weed crops, we want hybrid to have its own id too. I think thats a good start since we dont have like the pixels yet for the other stuff.

Ivy -- cool, short and sweet.
                      Ivy's hydrophonics and greenhouse emporium!

SarahKik and lannihamm like this.
                      • lannihamm

lmao, it's definitely one of those things that sounds intense to non-Texans, but just registers as a another chore for us, kinda like how we've got zero exposure to the reality of having to tunnel through snow to get out of your house (unless you're way up in north texas -- they get it all).

i found seven total: three garden snakes (dead), two rattlesnakes (killed both), and two water moccasins (1 dead, 1 kill).

technically yes, but it doesn't make a difference because:
                        • there are actually 36 different species of rattlesnakes native all across the Americas (from as far north as Alberta, B.C to Argentina), but 30 of those species are located in the American Southwest and Mexico (only 4 are found east of the Mississippi, and 2 in South America); Arizona and Texas have the most variety of rattlesnake species (13 and 8, respectively), and although some species are only able to live within very specific plant associations, the rest live in pretty much every ecosystem -- deserts, marshes, prairies, forests, river valleys, etc.
                        • geographically, the state is a transitional point for southern subtropical ecosystems to northern temperate ecosystems as well as eastern and western habitats; because of this, Texas is split up into 10 general, but distinct ecoregions, all of which two or more rattlesnake species can live in.
                        On top of all of that, I live in a particularly clusterfucky transitional area (San Antonio sits at the meeting point of the Blackland Prairies, Edwards Plateau and the South Texas Plains), which means it's wet enough from the prairie and plateau to support water moccasins (a pit viper), but also dry enough from the plains to support cottonmouths (another pit viper) and coral snakes (extremely potent neurotoxic venom, also has a antivenom shortage) too!

AND if it happens to get too wet for those snakes because of all the rain (floods are common this time of year here), that's okay! because a distinct characteristic of the South Texas Plains are its high temperatures and even higher evaporation rates! I have literally seen steam rising off the streets as rain began falling on it during the spring and summertime.

Ambiguous enough of a weed reference that no one can get mad! Just wanted to make sure, I'll get on it then :)

• SarahKik

Ivy sounds cool :D

I tried out two NPC's that could be used as shoppers:

I tried making my own eyes to make them different from the original, but not sure about them. Sometimes they look okay to me and other times not. Might not fit too well in with the rest of the villagers, so made a version with the original (Caroline) eyes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And used Willy for this guy. Cleaned him up a little and made his beard/hair more gray. He had the pipe already so I thought it'd work nice xD If dialogue is able to be added, maybe he could talk about how he smokes for medicinal purposes like back pain and/or arthritis?

[​IMG]

Hope they look okay! :D

lannihamm and taintedwheat like this.
                          • taintedwheat

holy! that's a lot cool! and really interesting, i'm so glad I learned something new. has SA always been your home?

i think that's my favorite part about america -- there's so many different ecosystems in one country which is kinda sparse and unique if you compare it to other places

and sweet n__n

yes! i like that! it would be nice to have people hanging around in there because it's actually honestly like that with dispensaries (uuugh which is why i want to pt work at one so bad) everyone is all chill. and high. hahahaha

Delta9 and SarahKik like this.
                            • dietodlichengel

dietodlichengel Space Hobo

I will help out in any way i can, got the forum watched for progress so glad this is finally being done!

taintedwheat likes this.
                              • asteriaex

asteriaex Void-Bound Voyager

Is her name going the be Mary Jane? Because I was thinking naming her after a type of weed would be sweet as heck. I know a girl named Sativa and I think that name would suit your npc nicely :D

Also down to help with whatever else needs to be done :3

taintedwheat likes this.
                                • taintedwheat

asteriaex likes this.
                                • cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

I just stumbled across this thread and while I don't really have an opinion on the subject matter, I liked the drawing of the character in the first post, so I thought I'd try to recolor a portrait and boy, is it hard. It looks okayish close-up, but when I zoom out it's a mess. I based it on sebastian using Sam's color palette for the hair and Maru's general shoulder/neck shape, and that seems to have been a bad idea.
                                  This is rough. This is why I don't do pixel art.
                                  WIP:
                                  [​IMG]

• taintedwheat

I feel it, but thanks for taking the time to check out the idea anyway! <3

Also! I love your art so far! She looks like she gives ZERO fucks and is tooooo chill!

I can always help out and make little edits to your stuff if you would like as well too n____n

• cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, no problem! c: I'm just impressed you guys are taking on such a big project. Your purple-haired character looks adorable, by the way! I think Haley's portrait is deceptive with how simple it looks, haha. It's like "oh, I can recolor this," and then you zoom in and there's like a billion different colors and it makes no sense. So the fact that you tackled that one? Wicked kudos.

I'm reading through the thread and people are suggesting numerous machines to create different items; would it be easier just to add cooking recipes?

Also, here's some really disorganized information:

I read earlier in the thread how you were upset when asking someone if you could use their artwork, and I wanted to say I'm sorry that that happened. I'm generally one of those people who can't give a real "no," and I know that it can do more harm than good a lot of the time. Coincidentally, I've also done a lot of CBT work and such, if you're referring to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

With me, at least, the fear of hurting someone's feelings is real; not only because I care about them and their comfort (of course), but also because a lot of the time in my past hurting someone's feelings led to them lashing out at me. You've heard the bit about dissonant truths, right? The "replace 'but' with 'and'" thing? For me, it's "I know I'm safe, and I don't feel safe." So I know it's (probably) safe to give someone a hard 'no', but I can't bring myself to do it because I'm afraid.

When you get right down to it, I don't think either you or the user you were interacting with had any malicious intentions. I think they just weren't able to communicate in as assertive a way as you were, and I'm sorry that wasted your time. It's easy to dissect things in hindsight, but I think I would have been upset on either side of the situation; I have a hard time saying no, and I also don't like making people uncomfortable. There's some similarity in those issues, though.

And if the question did make the user uncomfortable, honestly, perhaps it also made them think a bit, and that's not a bad thing. c: We could all use a little food for thought, or a little jaunt outside of our comfort zone. That's how we grow!

This is super disorganized, 'cause I'm wicked tired, but that's all. I don't think you did anything wrong, and I'm sure they didn't mean to upset you, but I know that situation must have sucked. However, it was cool that you were able to reach out to them, to communicate clearly, and then to communicate it to us in turn when the situation didn't go well and you needed to vent a bit.

Let me know if you need to chat!

I'd love if you could help me out with this! I think I just made it worse, haha. I tried to take a look at Haley's face and see what I could do to make her look less like a blonde Sebastian, but I think I lost some of the chill factor.

Edit: Added another version.

Blah:
                                      [​IMG]

Less blah:
                                      [​IMG]

Progress!
                                      Though I seem to have missed an outline at the top right of her head. Also, so many of these damn expressions look the same. Is that just because I edited Sebby?
                                      [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
                                        MayaMayhem and taintedwheat like this.
                                      • taintedwheat

Wow! Not only you have a play on words for a name, but you seem like a dope individual!

As for the CBT thing, yes that's what I was referring to. Yeah, in hindsight I just needed to blow off steam and putting yourself in other people's shoes doesn't always mean you're actually trying to make the choices the person actually have in mind. But dude thank you for extending your hand out like that, it's very sweet and refreshing to know.

I don't deal with any iota of stress at all, sadly.

I actually like the eyes like that, maybe like a darker hue on the eye lid and some on the bottom lip would probably compensate for how much attention the eyes bring to the face n.n