MOD-TUTORIAL 1: How to make your own tool (OUTDATED)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ghoul159, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackWick

JackWick Void-Bound Voyager

I might have fixed the player.config file, but I still am getting a runtime error crash. A tutorial for a new ore and ore generation would be very helpful.

2. ryrdio

ryrdio Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello everyone, I want to make my first mod but now with Enraged Koala, I don't find vanillas textures. So may be one people can be help me please?
    Sorry for my vocabulary or my english error, I'm french ^^

Thank you for help!

3. Yoshiwarrior

Yoshiwarrior Void-Bound Voyager

ghoul has been gone for a long time its strange

4. ajrocks33

ajrocks33 Void-Bound Voyager

what i use my mod i get a error msg when loading the error msg is (StarException) An error occurred during loading:(AssetException) Error loading asset /recipes/starter/plain/energeypickaxe.recipe ClientApplicantion::postSplashInitialization0 ClientApplicantion::update0 StarApplicantionbase::run0 _SDL_main _console_main

5. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

If you could provide the content of all your files regarding that item we could actually help you. x:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  6. ajrocks33

i fixed it. but my tool wont pop up in my game i looked in plain craft not there. ill get a file download[DOUBLEPOST=1430168328][/DOUBLEPOST]
    heres the mod
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43781503/tools+.rar

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  7. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kx8ypsyaqnavpd/tools+.rar?dl=0

_merge isn't used anymore (at least as far as I know), you should really use the .patch system.
    Plus, never draw sprites on white background, I changed the backgrounds to transparent for you this time, but the next time set the background to transparent in gimp or whatever you're using.
    It should work like this, should there be any other errors... well, you know the trick.

Just look at the player.config.patch to see what I changed to make it appear in the plain recipes.
    Oh and, you don't need the "objects" tag in your recipe if you already have the "tools" tag.

8. ajrocks33

thank you

9. Legomasterizer

Legomasterizer Orbital Explorer

Is it possible to get swords or axes from any of these tutorials?

10. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

No. All of the OPs tutorials are for a much older version of Starbound, and are generally not applicable to the currently accessible releases.

11. Devonation

Devonation Void-Bound Voyager

I don't get why NOBODY that knows how to make mods for this game (including the devs) are making UP-TO-DATE tutorials on this subject.

I love playing starbound. In the beginning (steam early release day) it was a bit boring and you could rush throught the game. Now it's nice and fun to play and it's worth my time to make mods for it. All tutorials about starbound modding is mostly (almost all) outdated or they are stupidly useless youtube videos that do not go indepth or use no-voice tutorials. I mean really! Is there nobody that can spend his/her time to spread the knowledge of modding for starbound?

I want to be able to learn to mod for starbound, like:

- making custom Guns with custom sounds, looks, stats and different Alt-abilities.
    - making custom melee weapons with custom sounds, looks, stats and different Alt-abilities.
    - able to make new loot chest with a special list of randomized loot.
    - new ships, races, furniture, craftingstations, mechs etc.
    - new teleportation animations.
    - new dungeons and bossfights.
    - new special tech like: Cloaking, Throwing a mobile turret to aid you (think axton from borderlands 2), able to deplay a shield wall, target scanner (highlight all monsters drawn on screen) etc.
    and many many MANY more!

Either somebody needs to show some love for this game and breath life back into the modding community, by making new up-to-date modding tutorials OR the devs need to make modding tools for Starbound so people have an easy entry into the modding part of starbound.
    They could make Weapon Creator Tools that give full control (in a visual way) over the stats, look and handling of weapons. They could make a Racial Creator Tool that does the same thing as the WCT but for new races.

I find it very frustrating that I love a game so much, that I want to make mods for it but I can't because there are no places that teaches you everything you need to know to make it.... Modding is a great way for devs to keep life in their game. mod creators like to make stuff for free and see their mod popularity grow and the devs are happy because they essentially get free content for their game and people keep buying their game. This doesn't work if new people/modders do not know where to begin.

We need info!

I just wanted this of my chest... Community seems death (in ragards to modding and sharing info) and the devs are not helping it improve either. They took way to long with their pre-release/alpha phase because people have seen the game, played the game and moved on already....

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  12. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Some are making tutorials, like @C0bra5 and his Rase Base mod. There just are more outdated tutorials than not.

13. joven121212

joven121212 Void-Bound Voyager

can you plz update this i want to mod but never started until now and i have no idea how

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.