The Penguin Syndicate VII - Forum Mafia game - [GAME OVER]

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Zebe, Apr 8, 2016.

?

What is TPS8? (explanations on p.16)

1. 1. Traditional

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. 2. Role-heavy

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. 3. Total madness

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. 4. Agarans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5. Something else

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

MC Calf

2. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

But that's redundant. o_O

EDIT: OMG YOUR FACES ARE ADORABLE, I WANT ONE AS MY PET.

EDIT 2: I just realized this section of the forums doesn't contribute to my post count. xD
    I can't say I'm displeased with this. It needs to happen back home too.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Zebe, The Squid and Alkanthe like this.
  3. DustyScabbard

DustyScabbard Spaceman Spiff

Oh neat, the civilians won again. Well done, everybody. That certainly went quicker than some of the other games.

Zebe and Alkanthe like this.
  4. Dave Combine

Dave Combine Corporate Co-Chair

I thought of a role that might sound be pretty interesting :p

It'd be a variant of the Cultist called something like the Harbinger. This role appears to be a boring human at first, and has no night actions or any special role whatsoever... Until they decide to sacrifice their soul for the Cult.

Then he/she is revealed to everyone as the Harbinger.

• Their special role is that they can declare the next sacrifice, in which whoever they choose will die in the next three nights.
    • The only way for the Harbinger to be killed is if he is voted off by the majority twice.
    • The Harbinger's vote cannot be disabled by a disabling role.
    • The Harbinger's vote can be protected against, but traits such as the Knights invulnerable will not work.
    • Investigation will only show the Harbinger as a boring human as long as they haven't declared themselves yet, however:
    • If the Harbinger hasn't declared themselves, their life will be vulnerable to any trait or action as would any boring human.

This would be a fun way to add pressure and consequence to games where nobody knows or cares what to do. For example:
    • Do we use our daily vote to hurt/kill the Harbinger to save our friend, or could we be potentially saving a penguin and losing time that could be trying to catch him?
    • Is this person likely a Harbinger? They could wait until everyone has voted him/her, then reveal themselves and waste our vote/cancel it.
    • The Harbinger kills Anon this night. Should we protect him/her, or use protection on the other important role that the Penguins/Cultists know since we decided it'd be a good idea to call out our roles at the very beginning of the game?

There could also be a couple of cool strategies to be used, like the Harbinger voting for another cultist, which could potentially end up killing him, but also possibly make the cultists last twice as long. eh?

The Squid and Zebe like this.
  5. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

Sounds a bit too overpowered. Undisableable, guaranteed one shot? This would just make the game longer and less fun.

Zebe, MilkCalf and Alkanthe like this.
  6. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Short, efficient and sounds like rapper name. What's not to like?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Alkanthe, The Squid and Zebe like this.
  7. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I probably wouldn't tell about the dousing, but it's something to be thought about. I'd add the Vig version alongside.

It's interesting, but I don't see how that role could win. I'm not sure what "whoever they choose will die in the next three nights" means. Like, they reveal themselves, choose a target, and the target randomly dies on some of the 3 following nights? The only way for them to win I can come up with is to wait and play like a civilian until there's only a few players left so there wouldn't be time to vote them off. Playing that way the intended pressure would be lost.

In other cases, even the penguins would probably vote Harbinger willingly. The Harbinger could get 1-2 kills before they were voted off, but as they're revealed to everyone they're pretty much doomed to be lynched at some point.

611 likes this.
  8. Dave Combine

Dave Combine Corporate Co-Chair

What I meant was they vote a person, and after three days / two nights, they're killed (Unless the target is protected). He isn't garunteed one shot, as Zeskorion said, otherwise that would be obviously overpowered. Nothing is overpowered from a vote that everyone has three days in advance to plan with :p

Also, he would only be able to lose life from daily votes - not penguin votes, cultist votes, etc. . That is so he can last a little longer with everyone knowing their role.

And to counter your "wait it out" theory, if they do wait until there is approximately three or so days left for the game to live, then the rest of the population is most likely civillians and they can majority vote him off quickly. Plus, it would look suspicious if everyone else was a special role when there is only one boring human left.

9. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow that was a really quick game (relative to last game's eternity). Next game should be Boring Humans and one militant vs penguins. @Zebe

The Squid likes this.
  10. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

The Championship game has started: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...me-1-The-Neverending-Story-Mafia-Championship

I'm not really concerned the role being too powerful. Rather, I think it's somewhat underpowered. During the three days before the kill happens the Harbinger could be killed with one day to spare. And besides, it's just a one kill for every three days. It's quite hard to win with that.

and the terminology is a bit confusing here sorry
    For me votes only mean the daily lynch votes, to which I referred to. The penguins would join the Civilians in voting the Harbinger in order to protect themselves. A known third-party role would be an easy target for everyone to vote.

So my point kinda is that the Harbinger would be the number one target always after they are revealed. They would die, one way or another. I just don't see much chances to win with that role at all. Near the end of the game the chances would be the biggest, but yeah, not really since there's the three day waiting period.

But those are just my thoughts on the matter. I'm not really thinking it'd be a successful role, but as with anything, if it gets enough support, I'll add it.

So no other civilian power roles but the Militant?

Zetlin97, The Squid and Alkanthe like this.
  11. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

I think he's fallen in love with that role. :rofl:

The Squid and Zebe like this.
  12. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Maybe just make sure that everyone is satisfied and have every civilian as Militant. that would surely be balanced

Zetlin97, The Squid, MilkCalf and 2 others like this.
  13. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Yes totally, and how about an army of cultists while you're at it.

Zetlin97, The Squid, MilkCalf and 2 others like this.
  14. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

yeah that sounds--

>.>

The Squid, MilkCalf and Alkanthe like this.
  15. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

*maniacal laughter*

MilkCalf and Zebe like this.
  16. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

What about half cultist half militant

17. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

A cultist-militant halfbreed? i feel like they would end up killing themselves

MilkCalf and Alkanthe like this.
  18. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Depends.

I know three things that fall under that.

Inquisitor, which kills someone each night, but if they survive, they are recruited to the cult.

Mentor, which has a kill, and can recruit up to one person to join him. I haven't seen it in a game, but it looks like a buffed Serial Killer.

And Cultafia, which is a cult with a kill. (Horribly unbalanced. If it lasts too long, it's essentially a guaranteed win.)

This is of course, dependent on if I'm understanding what you define a militant as.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Zebe likes this.
  19. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

No i mean a game with half military and half cult

Zebe and 611 like this.
  20. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

You mean where half the players are cult, and half are military?

zeskorion likes this.