[WEBAPP] upload.farm, generate map and share Stardew Valley savegames!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Laukei, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Laukei

Laukei Void-Bound Voyager

Hi all! A friend and I wrote a site to allow people to generate maps/family portraits, display stats, and share the savegames from Stardew Valley, just by uploading the savegame. It's at http://upload.farm. I posted a link here to a previous version (at the time named SDV Summary) about a month ago, and it seemed well-received. We hope this updated version is useful to the community!

The generated pages look something like this:
    upload_2016-4-19_22-40-18.png

Please let us know if you like it (or find any bugs)!

Laukei

• Indigo Rose

Indigo Rose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The map generation feature has a small layering problem at the lower edge of the map. The pine trees show up beneath the grassy edge of the cliff, which looks a bit odd. Still, this thing is great. The only other complaint I have is that it doesn't take into account if your greenhouse is repaired or not.

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

Ooh, nice!

Would you mind adding a LICENSE file to the repo? Once my degree project is over, I want to write an SDV launcher which guards against bug-induced losses in various ways and, once I start work on that, I'd be willing to try to work with you to produce a single, shared "read SDV saves in Python" module.

• Laukei

Hey Indigo Rose and ssokolow, thanks for your feedback.

We're still working on the map generation, and there are quite a few bugs with it still, so apologies there! We'll hopefully push an update in the next day or so.

We'll also look at choosing a license for the project, and look forward to hearing if you want to write a savegame-handling module!

• lordofdragonss

lordofdragonss Void-Bound Voyager

This is amazing! Thank you so much for making sharing farms easier!

• benevapwnz

benevapwnz Void-Bound Voyager

I can't seem to find my save file, anyone care to help? I go to the SV folder but there isn't one named Saves anywhere...

• Laukei

Hi benevapwnz! If you copy this: %APPDATA%\StardewValley\Saves and paste it in the dialogue box that appears on upload.farm and press enter, it should put you in the folder your savegames are in. I see this:

upload_2016-4-20_21-33-25.png

In my case, I would then double-click the folder Crono_116230451, and select the file named Crono_116230451 (same filename as the directory) and upload that.

I hope that helps, let me know if you're still lost!

• benevapwnz

benevapwnz Void-Bound Voyager

Tyvm! Just found it and uploaded it. That little pic of me with Harvey and my baby Anabelle is just so sweet, love the site!

• MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

Okay. This thing is BEYOND COOL. I love all the stats! It makes me feel proud of my accomplishments.

But my farm kinda sucks so now I need to make it look nice before I upload again. xD I just entered a new year so it looks like a mess now.

• Laukei

Glad to hear you like it MagicallyClueless! I hope it will become a useful resource for people wanting to share their accomplishments in-game.

nictuku likes this.
                      • nictuku

nictuku Space Spelunker

Hi, I'm the author of a similar project (stardew farm). I found your site really well done and polished. I also noticed you used Python, which is nice.

I know how hard it is to build something like this, so congratulations on your cool achievement - *fist bump*. I hope you keep going!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Laukei

Oh, hey! I saw a few people linking to your site yesterday, it's very clean and polished! I bet image generation with Go is lightning fast, I was very impressed with the language when I gave it a try a while back, but I just can't kick my Python habit... hehe

nictuku likes this.
                          • nictuku

nictuku Space Spelunker

Come to the dark side! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

I'm in a similar situation, but more with Rust. Given how much of an ecosystem exists around projects like Django, I don't really see enough benefit in Go when I can instead wait for Rust's web-related ecosystem to fill out and get much stricter compile-time checks and no reliance on a garbage collector when I do switch. (Which will also minimize my monthly outlay for hosting.)

(My main pain point with Python is probably that, for projects I really care about, I tend to burn out while reinventing Rust-like strict checks via the Nose unit testing framework.)

• Stug187

Stug187 Big Damn Hero

hi, so i can upload, but can i download other farms too? if so, how?

• Laukei

Hi Stug. You can only download farms that the original owner has enabled sharing for. If they have, the download link will appear underneath the minimap. If you want to enable sharing for your own uploads, you can enable it in the same place.

• MagicallyClueless

Yo, I was going to update my farm today on the site to share it, but the site seems to be down? Is it just my own internet problems (which is COMPLETELY possible) or did the server get overloaded?

• EvilPoptart81

EvilPoptart81 Cosmic Narwhal

Okay this a very cool page, I've already gone and uploaded my three save files!

• Laukei

It shouldn't have been down but it's possible it was - it seems to be running OK at the minute! We had a huge spike in traffic during the night (I'm UK based), I might have to look at enabling queuing for processing uploads if it keeps up. Sorry for the outage you experienced!

• MagicallyClueless

i think it was on my end, since i figured out what was wrong. the link in the thread doesn't work for me for some reason, but when i put "www" before the url, it seemed to work. i don't get why that happened though, since the link worked fine for me earlier.

but yeah, definitely my end. sorry for the scare!