Modding Help Beginner's Guide to XNB Node and Graphics Editing

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cure, Mar 20, 2016.

1. BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

Rofl I was just making tea to try this again too. I can understand photoshop np, but this stuff...

Edit: Ok so that is about as mindless as one can get, thank you!

now that I can pack and unpack, well that's great but am lost for real now, where the heck is the nitty details like dimensions of the interior of a building and everything.

I just want to play about with the interior of the glass house

Anyway so my original reason for all this was the wallpaper and floor. Sadly even photoshopping the floor from a grey cast black to 0 0 0 , something about how the game does floors means there is no utter black, it auto adds in some sort of shade of grey that's immediately noticeable from the wallpaper which has no problem there.

pfft.

So yeah, not sure how I would go about editing the interior of buildings, any idea?

to reiterate since cat is on my key board, the packing for idiots works fantastic!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
      cure and Drogean like this.
    • Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

Thank you so, so much for your guide. I was very intimidated by the process but you broke it down in a way that was easy to understand once I got going. I've edited my farmer to have blush, changed the number 11 accessory for red lipstick to be one pixel further down and a more pink color, changed some boot colors and also changed the red bow hat to be purple, all thanks to you!

cure and BoffoBoy like this.
      • BoffoBoy

my cat is not helping matters but trying to get a handle on the interior maps.... helps to figure out the terminology.

My cat is now behind me in my chair slowly pushing me off, but at least off the keyboard.

ok so I have green house open in tild after it stopped complaining about missing tiles (that tool kit is the bomb!) but one question, how do I make the base working area larger?

I want to try and help someone out with their request regarding a 20x20 dirt area and a 28ish x 28ish overall size (I would go 29x 29) but obviously nothing like that is gonna fit into the stock standard building.

Running tally of edits, I found layer properties!!!!! wooo world of hurt incoming

Oh man the glass windows of this house are a headache, no wonder the 15x 15 modder just soiled over the pavement - wait not that sort of soiled!

oh my, I can only imagine what ape went though to make the glass house from scratch, am done with the worst of it but seeing as I do not have a save with glass house open right now, I'd want someone to test drive it and tell me the warp is all messed up.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
          RoastedCoconutz and Drogean like this.
        • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you :)
          Might be time to bring out the catnip =/

• cure

cure Big Damn Hero

@Drogean Added the .zip to the guide, let me know what you think.

Drogean and Superior_s like this.
            • BoffoBoy

So cure, are you able to say where a character will warp in when the map size is changed? Seeing as the toolkit Drogean crafted was so simple as to click click flop face onto keyboard, it was trivial to feed Boffo's first run at tIDE for all the missing tile sheets the program was bitching about. If not for trivial unpacking I would have gone to sleep then and there.

But noooooo, it's freaking 3 pm when I first noticed the sun was back up , the cat gave up and is sleeping and if was not for my overworked G-13 slaving the hotkeys, I'd have got some sleep as well.

So the horrors of leaning tIDE solo were nothing compared to the glasshouse glass that I will surely have recurring nightmares about.Ruff.

Anyway other than the fact I have no account with glass house (I keep restarting)I can only be 99.9999999% sure the warp in point for my suddenly full fledged mod is in the dirt. Know anyone that understands warp points in a non star trek manner?

BTW, You really do not want to know how many times I had to remake that glass in partial because my addled brain though a square was good enough for a square of dirt...... as gi joe say, and beating your head against the - knowing! Knowing is half the battle, never again will I assume any map will be square. yo joe.

If was a freaking relief to head on back to the sanity of CS6 for the updates and tile perusal.

Oh any guess where the keg animation frames are hiding? I'd assume bigcraftables I'd look but ug...... no more today no more.

Warp 9.png

• Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

TileSheets\animations

cure likes this.
                • BoffoBoy

boffo as they might say in lands not around here. thanks , ate something I forgot in the microwave so might as well do those evil things now.

cure likes this.
                  • BoffoBoy

Oh man what a day, thanks to Drogean's packing for idiots, I got to focus on the real beast, tIDE! I cannot say I understand all of what those paths tiles mean without loading up other maps to see what their path layers looks like but wow, got what I think is a stable Glasshouse going with proper lighting, working water and amazingly what should be proper warps out of and into the glasshouse.

thanks guys

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
                      cure, Jinxiewinxie and Superior_s like this.
                    • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

@cure You may want to add that if people are on Stardew Valley 1.06 to not mess with the cursors.xnb because it will mess up the sunlight coming through windows and it seems certain water things that are also on the cursors.png. This can supposedly be remedied with a cursors.xnb from an older build of Stardew Valley. Just thought I'd say something in advanced.

RoastedCoconutz and cure like this.
                      • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Huh. Didn't even know 1.06 came out.. I'm on 1.0.59etc... Guess I've got to run steam. Got a bigger problem of my own though, Time is frozen -.-, Some SMAPI mod or something. I'll look into adding that tomorrow. I get picky about where to place info and such I'll end up spending a bunch of time on just that then get caught up messing around with the whole guide lol.

Superior_s likes this.
                        • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

I'm pretty sure it's out I haven't actually checked what it says on my steam I know I updated a few days ago. Also that's what build they've been referring to in the forums, there's a whole thread directly referencing this problem with the newer cursors.xnb. I've also encountered the issue myself. After you read this is if you want me to delete this to remove some non-nessary-ish stuff from the thread let me know.

• cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Maybe they're just rounding up heh, There's no update I see.

Even opt'd into betas:
                            [​IMG]

Superior_s likes this.
                            • KayokoSalsa

KayokoSalsa Guest

I've been using GraphicsGale for doing pixel art based on the recommendation of this thread and using it in combination with GIMP. Otherwise, I do quite like it and the grid is quite useful. Been using it for the weapon retexture mod thats a WIP currently.

cure and Superior_s like this.
                              • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

Yea, it's at 1.0.59etc. Everybody and steam are rounding up.

• cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Update: Added a note regarding Cursors.xnb and a little note about some anti-virus programs freaking out on the .bat files in XNBExtract.

Added a VirusTotal result too but apparently someone has already tried scanning the .zip with VirusTotal before xD.
                                  [​IMG]

Superior_s likes this.
                                  • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Yeah for some things I've just been using Photoshop myself, but I mostly find everything I need within GraphicsGale 9/10 times.

Superior_s likes this.
                                    • forrpa

forrpa Void-Bound Voyager

I extracted a singe file (jas.xnb) and two files came out, jas.png and jas.yaml. I edited the png, and then I packed it. It was now jas.xnb again and I put it in the right folder and it worked in game. But the file yas.yaml whas left so I just put it on the desktop just in case I needed the file. But then I did the same thing again (extracted) because I wanted to make som changes to the png, and now it says that the yaml file cannot be found! I have tried everything, even copying the original jas.xnb file. What do I do?

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

the .yaml HAS to be packed with the .png or else the game can't properly read the .xnb in-game. Everytime you unpack something, a .yaml will always be extracted as well. Just put it back in the folder with the .png and repack.

future reference try not to mess with the .yaml at all for regular re-edits.

• forrpa

forrpa Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah I tried to pack it with the png file, and like I said it worked in the game but the .yaml file is still left, even after packing! I made it work now but its still weird.