RELEASED Yama's Desert & Sewer Expansions [1.4 ready for testing!]

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Yamadataiki, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Yamadataiki

Yamadataiki Phantasmal Quasar

Hey all! I've been working on a expansion to the desert map. It's fully compatible with all other mods that don't modify any of the base warps in the Desert! I'm open to suggestions, but I will most likely not be doing any major edits to the original desert location, instead my plan is to create areas surrounding it. Let me know what you think!

9/16/2016: If anyone out there would like to work with me to create more content that knows or is willing to learn some code, or is good with pixel art send me a message. Would be more willing to create a few new maps as I was suggested creating a jungle and have had a growing desire to do so.

Version 1.4 requires both ALL and SMAPI!
    Be sure to use the latest version of ALL: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/smapi-advanced-location-loader.114124/

V1.4 Fixes bugs (hopefully) presented in 1.3.8

V1.3.8 Currently adds:
    - 3 Whole new areas in the Desert for you to explore!

V1.1:
    Basic xnb edit that slightly expands original desert map. Only use if you don't plan on using ALL for some reason.

BUGS:
    -There is currently a major bug involving saves that will sometimes cause it to show as your anniversary even when it isn't, and if you aren't married. This can and usually will break your game and save. Until I can fix this bug you may have to start a fresh game. This bug may or may not persist in 1.4 as some mods seem to cause the issue after this mod is loaded with it. If anyone wants to take a crack at this bug be my guest as I'm stumped.

(9/15/16) V.1.4 The Bugfix Patch Out now!

• Canyon
    Canyon.png
    • Dunes
    Dunes.png
    • Floodplains
    Floodplains.png
    - Custom Flora and Recolored Palms!

[LIST OF PLANNED FEATURES ARE ON HOLD UNTILL FURTHER NOTICE]
    Currently in the works:
    -More locations
    -Warp puzzle maze
    -new flora designs
    -Custom Items (Yellow and blue Cactus Fruit ;))
    -new cave textures and aesthetics
    -wade-able water (Get your fishing boots!)

For those who do not wish to use ALL or SMAPI I will leave the download for Alpha 1.1 up for you.

[Sewer Expansion]

For those interested, I started a project on the sewers, It's not finished and it's an early alpha but I'm releasing it as is until I have more time on my hands. I played a few different save games with it alone and it seemed bug free. Please report if you encounter any though.
    SewerProject.png

Don't Forget to check out Tego's Stardew Expansion! Fully compatible with YDE 1.4 and YSE 0.2!:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/tegos-stardew-expansion.113000/

Be sure to check out Stardew Valley Enhanced as well! I updated it to be compatible with ALL on page 3 in the following thread! Should be fully compatible with TSE, YDE annnnd YSE:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/stardew-valley-enhanced-1-0-alpha.111446/

[Possible ALL compatibly patches coming for other map mods too; unless specified by their creators not to.]

Remember! Always back up your saves before installing new mods! These are all functional with new games but I can't promise everything will be seamless for games already in progress! Feel free to post bugs as I am willing to do my best to fix whatever I may have missed. I may fix bugs others may have missed within reason.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    • tegobash

tegobash Big Damn Hero

That looks nice! I was planning a desert expansion myself but now I think I'll pass.

Noir0813 likes this.
      • Yamadataiki

Thanks! I was inspired by yours to make mine. I'm currently at a roadblock though since I don't know C#. I'd be glad to work with you and integrate my project with yours if you felt comfortable with that. If I make this work with SMAPI I can link up my cave systems and outer map once they're in a more polished state. I've got a few custom tile sheets ready to go and everything!:DD

Superior_s and lannihamm like this.
        • tegobash

tegobash Big Damn Hero

That sounds great. I'm going to sleep now so I'll PM you tomorrow and we'll start talking :)

• barfyscorpion

barfyscorpion Pangalactic Porcupine

Nice work! I always thought the desert was woefully small, and I really enjoy spending time there.

• Yamadataiki

Thank you! I just updated it with a few minor replacements/touchups. Next update will be within a week so stay tuned!

• Cider

Cider Ketchup Robot

Ooh I'll definitely keep a watch on this.

• Yamadataiki

Here's A small preview of part of what will be in the next update. I aligned the edges of the map on the left to be aligned my expansion on the bottom of the vanilla map which is on the right. You'll be able to walk right to it.
                  DesertCanyonPreview.png
                  Once I stop putting off the caves I'll throw you guys a preview of the sand dunes map. I was thinking of making a warp puzzle on one of the custom maps, there'd be 3-5 cave entrances next to eachother and I would have each layer of canyon wall have 3-5, whichever you went through would take you to another layer but I wouldn't put them in order. So it would look sort of like this;

|-1(9)(5)-2-3-2-|
                  |--5--3----4--|
                  |-4--6---7----|
                  |-8----7--(6)1-|
                  |--9---8---10---|

Imagine each number is an entrance/exit that are linked, Numbers in parenthesis means they're one way exits which by doing makes it a maze to get through. If I were to do this I would leave the solution in a future Readme.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
                  • Vixxi

Vixxi Aquatic Astronaut

Yay! More coconuts!! This is great. I always wondered why the desert was so freaking small.

• GARRthePIRATE

GARRthePIRATE Big Damn Hero

• Yamadataiki

Here's a screenshot of what I've done today. I want to release it to you guys but it's just not ready for the next update yet. Give me another week, and I'll have this and my other secret project out ;) Custom Tile Preview.png

Yes Tego I know the shadow is still missing >.<

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
                        Superior_s likes this.
                      • tegobash

tegobash Big Damn Hero

Tho I love this red tree. And I think I see the same fern that I'm using. Good job!

• Yamadataiki

What do you think of these then?
                          Pretty Palms.png
                          Yeah I was wondering if we both edited the same fern or not, but I think yours has an extra groove on top.

• tegobash

tegobash Big Damn Hero

Isn't that too many colors? I don't know. They look good tho :)

• Yamadataiki

Maybe I went a little crazy yeah :rofl: I might not use them all, and if I do I'll probably keep them to certain areas. I had a ocean planet on Starbound with rainbow palm trees and that was sort of my inspiration for making so many if I'm honest.

• BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

Looks great! A ton to learn eh?

• Yamadataiki

Totally not gonna lie, I've pulled 2 all nighters this week retexturing sprites alone. Today I'm spending working on building my maps up. I can promise you that without slowing down your day, there's no way you'll have time to visit everywhere in the desert when I'm done with it. If your willing to, when you have custom shops and pathfinding working I'd love to be able to throw a few new npcs to find in the desert :). I'll share a few screenies tonight or tomorrow with the new maps.

Superior_s likes this.
                                  • kodemunkey

kodemunkey Phantasmal Quasar

Could you make a mod which allows us to put Coconut and Cactus fruit through the seed maker so we can get the seeds which will only grow in the warehouse? You could integrate it with your desert mod.

• Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

I'd probably go ask @Killerbotto he's working on a crops mod that so far adds 20 something new fruits, vegetables, flowers and trees to the game.

goatw0rk007 likes this.
                                      • Yamadataiki

Superior_s is right about you asking Killerbotto. I do have plans for making my blue and orange cactus fruit obtainable items along with some other interesting things, but I'm not going to be adding in custom items until I flesh out a few more areas I'd like to expand in the Desert. If I can manage to, you may end up seeing a traveling merchant in the desert who will sell you cactus seeds, for the vanilla fruit and my own, that you could grow only in the greenhouse.

Next update will be coming out in a few hours,
                                        I just need to feel happy with the details in the Floodplains and I'll release it for you guys to check out. Unless there's a major flaw I won't be releasing any bugfixes untill next week.

The only big one that currently exists does effect save games 70% of the time.
                                        It will cause it to be your anniversary day even if you aren't married and even if it isn't the day you were married, which seems minor but can cause the game to stop working after playing for a few ingame days. I haven't found the root of this problem but as soon as I am aware of a way to fix it I promise I will. Other than that this mod should be fully compatible with everything.

Edit: Major bug involving warps is blocking me from releasing it.I should hopefully have this fixed before tomorrow. Sorry making you guys wait a little longer.

Edit: 1.3.8 out now!

Last edited: May 1, 2016